If your QNAP does not boot, one possible fix.

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Gilly02838
Starting out

If your QNAP does not boot, one possible fix.

Post by Gilly02838 »

This will not work with all QNAP devices and it is a possible easy fix if it works.

I recently acquired a TS-251+ which was sold as a returned item that had shown signs of life when powered but not fully tested (i.e. pay the money take a chance). :?

When I turned the machine on the lights flickered very quickly the fan turned on and I got a flashing amber status light for about 15 secs, the green status light would flicker everything seemed to power off then the amber status light would start flashing again and the fan would start up and it would stick in this sort of boot loop.

Of course I tried removing the RAM checking that the contacts were clean and reseating the RAM to no avail. I also had the machine attached to a monitor but just got a black screen (not no signal). :x

Recently I had heard about a laptop not starting up and the fault had turned out to be a dead BIOS battery so I thought I would give it a go. I fitted a brand new CR2032 and the machine was fixed! :DD

This surprised me for 2 reasons. The first being that a CR2032 should last 5 years, and in some cases longer. From what I can tell this QNAP was built Feb 2017. Secondly it has not been until recently I have heard of machines failing due to BIOS battery, I am used to them just telling you that they are on the wrong date. Maybe QNAP should look into someway the machine still boots but shows an an error on its web interface or some way of warning the user. Just a suggestion but even with laptops that show this problem there is no warning.

Hope this helps some people.
OneCD
Guru

Re: If your QNAP does not boot, one possible fix.

Post by OneCD »

Thanks for posting your solution. :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
mcopini
First post

Re: If your QNAP does not boot, one possible fix.

Post by mcopini »

That was very useful information. My Qnap TS239 Pro-II died on me after a power failure. The power LED did not turn green and both HD's LED's turned red.
My unit is from 2015. I never expected that the 3Volt Cmos Battery (2032) would be the culprit. After replacing the cmos battery the system boot continued and could be monitored via a screen connected to the VGA port. I nearly had given up on this unit. Thanks to your post it's a live again.

Return to “Miscellaneous”