TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
phonitor
Getting the hang of things

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by phonitor »

My most recent response from QNAP support as of 10/15/2021 regarding bricked TVS-872XT purchased 1/2019. It is what it is with supply chains these days.

“I am very sorry. RMA has just mentioned yesterday that they have run out of TVS-x72XT parts / replacements and need to wait until end of October for more. It will be delayed.

If you need a unit, I recommend you purchase a NAS that supports everything from the existing NAS and you can migrate it all over. After you receive the unit back from us, you can consider keeping the new unit, or returning for refund to where you purchased it as long as its within the return date.”
Colwyn2000
First post

Post by Colwyn2000 »

Add mine 472xt shut-down and the same problem red light on motherboard very annoying it is a 19 model thankfully I added this forum to my request for a rma as warrenty just expired 3 months ago but qnap seems to have added a extra year.

Terrible problem with a 3k+ product I've got 7 buffalo nas,s over 10 years old still running fine apart from a hd replacement.
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

I should get mine back today with new motherboard which they replaced under warranty. 26 days round trip and mine had a wait a week or so for parts. Kudos to QNAP for replacing this without much hassle! I just hope this unit will now operate without any random reboots and give the stability any good NAS should have!!

-Q
Model: TVS-872XT 64GB (Crucial 64GB Kit CT2K32G4SFD8266)
2 x 1TB XPG 1TB NVMe (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C) [RAID-1]
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
Borg Backup running to an offisite pi, AND to the local TS-569L
Model: TS-569L Borg server for backups
6 x 8TB Ironwolf [RAID-5]
Qotom-Q355G4 Fanless Mini Micro PC running pSense in front of everything
haproxy for anything inside the LAN
goldentee.tv
Starting out

Post by goldentee.tv »

UPDATE: I received mine about 3 weeks ago and wanted to wait to ensure it was fixed before responding.

At first, they said they were just going to replace it but then said they were waiting for parts in which it was simply the new motherboard. The turnaround was good and my warranty was expired at the time. I paid nothing. So far the unit works great and that's with multiple shutdowns and firmware updates. all is right in the world again.

Support was awesome for my case

-King
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

Great to hear that King!

In comparing the v1.3 mobo to the v1.7, I have noticed the system speaker has been completely removed. Not only the physical speaker, but the mobo no longer has a plugin for it either. So gone are the voices of the QNAP NAS that told me it was shutting down or booting complete. I thought it was kinda cool, but will gladly live without it for stability! Day 1 on v1.7 has just started for me and I will report how it goes. So far no issues.

Also to note, MAC1 changed hardware MAC address, but MAC2 and MAC3 did not. I am not sure how that is possible since I figured all three would be on the motherboard, so perhaps this is customizable and QNAP forgot to change one?

-Q
Last edited by Qmann on Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
dwadj
Know my way around

Post by dwadj »

dwadj wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:42 am
dwadj wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:59 pm Hi All,
Yesterday my 472xt also dead...
It was powercycled on last sunday for a scheduled restart, but never got started ...
So noticed that in the morning and tried to start it by pressing the power button, but ,nothing happened.
Long pressing the power button gave me a quick 'Hardware ...' something on the screen for a sec and that was it, nothing any more...
Tried with removing the power cable but nothing, only the Red LED on the mobo is there....
Removed HDDs, Memory, ssd, nothing....
Prior to this, some time ago i had issues with the unit doing sudden crashes and restarts..
I replaced the ATX power cable and that seems to resolve the issue, however once in a while it would not start and the display was mentioning something like Checking Bios or checking memory....
In the past pressing the powerbutton would restart the system, but not any more....
Last month the checking memory on the display became more frequently....

My unit also has a V1.3 mobo and is a Q18 serial purchased late feb 2019.

Qnap ticket is opened...
Got a reply from Qnap Holland, not under warranty, $650 cost, euh what?
Seems to be a global issue, so they have to take some responsibility for their malfunctioning hardware..
I thought the warranty was extended by 1 extra year due to this in Europe?

If i buy a car and the engine stops working after 2,5 years, seems not to be normal to me
But here a lot of engines did not work any more, so it's clear to be an issue with this part...
Ok,

So got RMA from Qnap Holland and NAS is on it's way.
It took some time and effort, but happy it will be repaired under warranty (Thx Qnap)
Let's hope it will be back soon, but you never know these days with all those supply shortages
QNAP TVS-472XT 8600T-16GB (Ballistix) QTS 5.0.1.2277
4x12TB WD120EFAX RAID5
1TB NVMe SSD Cache Corsair MP510
GPU MSI GTx 1050Ti Low profile.
s_clarke
Starting out

Post by s_clarke »

Add me to the list....same model, same fault.

Weirdly I experienced an issue around 6 months ago whereby it stuck on the scanning memory screen...didn't think much of it, gave it another kick and it powered back on ok and just left it as that. I've done a good few firmware updates since and it's always returned back ok, so didn't think anything more of it....until today...

It's not the firmware because this was triggered by a routine reboot before applying the firmware, it wasn't a cold boot or anything like that....just a reboot. I noticed my ping was taking ages to come back, so I went to investigate and it was just dead. Fan's weren't spinning, the ethernet ports were blinking...but that was all. Tried the power button, no life, no LED, just the blinking ethernet lights and the red light protruding from the underneath of the unit.

I did all the usual troubleshooting of removing ram, NVMe's, booting without hard drives etc just to remove those external elements but no luck sadly. This thread has confirmed my worse fears - motherboard fault and totally out of my control to fix.

I have backups in the cloud for everything, but my issue is having a suitable system to restore those backups to...I have nothing else with the capacity to take those restores, just an old TS-410 - so I'll just have to hold out I guess. Had an old QNAP TS-410 for years and years, still have it running some smaller stuff...never blinked a bit. Spent a fair whack on this unit and didn't expect this to be honest. How long are we talking for an RMA? Do they send a motherboard in the post and let you fit it...or do you have to send the whole unit to them? Hope we're not talking months.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You always have to send the whole unit ..QNAP does not send parts
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

I am in Canada, and from the time I shipped the old unit back to them, to the time I had a new one in hand, it took 8 days.

The time it takes for QNAP to agree to an RMA is individual. Some countries like to have a discussion up-front...
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
s_clarke
Starting out

Post by s_clarke »

bokr71 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:03 pm I am in Canada, and from the time I shipped the old unit back to them, to the time I had a new one in hand, it took 8 days.

The time it takes for QNAP to agree to an RMA is individual. Some countries like to have a discussion up-front...
Cheers.

I've already had then issue me with an RMA, I'm about to pack it up and send it off to their location in England.

Still have 6 months of warranty left, so I'm 'hoping' based on that I will have a quick turn around. My trusty old TS-410 is saving the day though, and so is Backblaze in conjunction with BackupExec (you can never have too many backups).

One quick question I have...I bought my device from span.com, I chose the 16Gb RAM version. Should I remove the RAM modules before it's shipped back? I've obviously taken out the NVMe's and the HDD's, but I just wasn't sure what I should do with the RAM as I don't want to risk losing the 16Gb spec.
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

You'll need to ask QNAP that question. I see what you are saying, but you don't have original RAM to replace your 16GB with.
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

Everything seemed perfectly fixed with my v1.7 mobo until after about 12 hours of uptime when the CPUs and System Fans failed in software and gave me a warning. I verified all fans were running at full speed with no issues, so it seems the motherboard quit detecting them about ~12 hours into service for some reason. I also checked all connectors and they all seem secure. As a precaution on bugs, and since the unit was a couple versions behind on firmware, I updated the firmware to 4.5.4.1800. After rebooting the unit on the firmware upgrade it is detecting the CPUs and System fans correctly with 48 hours uptime now. Not sure what happened there but will keep an eye on it.

-Q
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
suizhenmin
Starting out

Post by suizhenmin »

关于这个问题,我询问了台湾地区客服,客服给出的答案是

此機型造成無法開機的原因並非主機板設計缺陷,而是PCH晶片瑕疵所造成的問題,目前依照您提供的序號,查詢不到機器資訊,請您再次提供序號資訊,截圖或機器背部序號照片,謝謝。
1.png
经过确认序列号,客服给出的是会给予一年的延长保修

您好:

幫您確認目前的政策為,當TS-872XT出現當機/ 非正常重啟/ 無法開機的狀況,這邊會手動將保固延長為3年,例如您的機器保固期限為 2021-02-13,則當您出現以上述情形要報修時,在 2022-02-13 以前,會當作保固內處理,請知悉,謝謝您。
2.png
I come from the Chinese region, so I post in Chinese, which can be translated into your language through Google Translate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

suizhenmin wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:08 pmI come from the Chinese region, so I post in Chinese, which can be translated into your language through Google Translate.
Hello, this is an English-language-only forum. Please post only in English. Thank you.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
suizhenmin
Starting out

Post by suizhenmin »

According to the response of Taiwanese customer service

The reason for the failure of this model to boot is not the motherboard design defect, but the problem caused by the defect of the PCH chip.

Return to “Miscellaneous”