Constantly receive the "denied amount reach the set threshold: 30" mails. Want to disable external connections

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
BartDG
New here

Constantly receive the "denied amount reach the set threshold: 30" mails. Want to disable external connections

Post by BartDG »

Hi,

I've got a TS-673A. Love it. Only one thing annoys me as heck and that's the fact that ever since I setup MyQnapCloud, I started receiving these "the denied amount reach the set threshold: 30" email from the QuFirewall. Like dozens a day. I already tried upping the threshold to 90 or even 250, but the mails keep coming.

So I figured I'd disable external access again and be done with it, so I switched off MyQnapCloud link and MyDDNS, and hope that would be the end of it, but the mails just keep on coming. :shock:

How can I solve this? And how can I completely disable ALL external access to my NAS? I'm perfectly fine with local LAN access, and I'll set up a VPN for those very rare cases I would ever need to access it from outside the home.

BTW, uPNP is also disabled (on both NAS and router) and there are no port forwarding rules set in my router.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Cheers,
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Constantly receive the "denied amount reach the set threshold: 30" mails. Want to disable external connections

Post by dolbyman »

Glad the external access is switched off..as this is a security catastrophe.

Best to unistall QuFirewall ...it's amateurish at best and normally counterproductive to normal operations..

Test again after
OneCD
Guru

Re: Constantly receive the "denied amount reach the set threshold: 30" mails. Want to disable external connections

Post by OneCD »

BartDG wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:52 am BTW, uPNP is also disabled (on both NAS and router) and there are no port forwarding rules set in my router.
Also suggest rebooting your router. I've seen routers that wouldn't clear any previous port-forward rules until they were rebooted.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BartDG
New here

Post by BartDG »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:20 am Best to unistall QuFirewall ...it's amateurish at best and normally counterproductive to normal operations..
Test again after
I'm pretty sure when I uninstall the firewall the problem will be solved. But isn't this a bit drastic? I mean, I need a firewall of some sort, no? (security wise I mean) Or is there an alternative?
OneCD wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:17 am Also suggest rebooting your router. I've seen routers that wouldn't clear any previous port-forward rules until they were rebooted.
There have never been any port-forward rules in the router, so there was nothing to delete. 8)
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

BartDG wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:26 am I'm pretty sure when I uninstall the firewall the problem will be solved. But isn't this a bit drastic? I mean, I need a firewall of some sort, no? (security wise I mean) Or is there an alternative?
Yes, use your router's firewall. ;)
BartDG wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:26 am There have never been any port-forward rules in the router, so there was nothing to delete. 8)
Maybe reboot the router anyway? You were getting external login attempts - they had to get into your LAN somehow.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BartDG
New here

Post by BartDG »

Ok, so as per the advice I received here, I uninstalled the QuFirewall. Problem instantly solved. :mrgreen:
I really think it's strange how this app behaves so badly. So many people have this same problem, I cannot believe that even Qnap themselves don't experience this. So why don't they fix this? :?
Q-nap
Starting out

Post by Q-nap »

Uninstalling the firewall is a bit drastic. Its like disabling your smoke alarm because it keeps going off. You should really find out what is going on as it could be a hacking attempt and by switching it off it is just letting them get on.

I actually like the simplicity of the thing but it isn't easy to use as you need a third party tool to heck the captures. I was advised to use NetworkMiner which is in the list qnap uses because there are some easy to use facilities in there.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As all external port forwards are disabled (see first post) .. The firewall is completely superfluous .. and on top there is tons of failed alerts and logs

Return to “Miscellaneous”