Removing the virtual switch

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
MushyMiddle
New here

Removing the virtual switch

Post by MushyMiddle »

I have two QNAP NASs - a TS-453U and a TS-253Be. The TS-453U works great, however the TS-253Be has no default gateway, and each time it reboots, I have to manually establish a default route via SSH:

Code: Select all

[~] # route add default gw 192.168.24.1 br0
This works (if I remember to do so), but even with the gateway manually defined, some QTS functions still think there is no gateway.

Both NASs are configured for LACP. Both are on the same QTS release (4.5.4), though different builds, but this problem pre-dates the current release - it's been going on for at least a year. Both use static addressing.

The difference seems to be that the broken one has a virtual switch defined, while the working one does not. I did use containers (via Container Station) on the broken one for a while, but no longer do so. I don't recall why I have a virtual switch defined - it's possible it happened when I set up containers, or perhaps I listened to all of the propaganda from QNAP on why virtual switches are wonderful when I set up this NAS around 1.5 years ago.

Config info:
  • On the N & V S config page, "System Default Gateway" shows as "--" (on the working NAS, it shows as "Adapter 1+2").
  • When configuring the virtual switch, the correct gateway IP shows on step 2.
  • When configuring the physical adapter (bonded "Adapter 1+2"), "System Default Gateway" shows as "None", and if I try to configure it (by clicking on the "System Default Gateway" button), "Auto-select system default gateway" is selected, and if I try to specify it via "Select the system default gateway", there is no option available, and there is a broken graphic image on the dropdown. "Failover gateway" shows "None" (no other options), and there is a message: "No adapters can reach the Internet." It's possible this is normal for a virtual switch setup (bonded adapters typically have no IP config), but I have no way to compare, as I'm not willing to screw-up my working NAS to find out.
Since I no longer use containers (I'm now using ESXi), and am not using any other form of virtualization on the NASs, I'd like to get rid of the virtual switch, which is presumably causing my routing issue. But, of course, since this NAS only has two NICs, I don't want to permanently lose access to the NAS in the process.

Is there a safe procedure for removing the virtual switch? I don't mind reverting back to unbonded NICs in the process if that's necessary - I can easily re-establish the bond.

P.S. I keep hoping that this will be fixed by a new firmware release, and I even installed 5.0 to see if that would help. To my amazement, I now have a default gateway! So, problem solved, but I'd still like to hear about any safe way to get rid of the virtual switch. Though, I think I read on another post that QNAP is making virtual switches mandatory, so perhaps that's what finally fixed it after > 1 year (and many QTS releases) of this. Anyway, perhaps if someone else has similar issues, this may help them.

Return to “Miscellaneous”