NAS power settings

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
djtron
Starting out

NAS power settings

Post by djtron »

Hi, I'm using my NAS for home use and usually turn on from late afternoon up to midnight on weekdays and turning it on as needed. Are my settings below ok and will not impact the NAS and hard drive's lifespan and reliability (no bad blocks)?

1. Disk hibernation on internal and external hard disks are set to 30 minutes.

2. Sleep mode (S3 suspend to RAM if no data access) at 30 minutes. Only allowed to enter sleep mode from midnight to late afternoon when my NAS is off.

3. Is it safe from fire to always plugged in the ac adapter to the wall socket all the time? I set the NAS automatically to turn on from late afternoon and turn off at 11pm.

4. Will powering on the nas on certain hours in a day ok or is it better to turn it powered 24x7?

5. What is the suggested time period to not power off the nas if you will use it later? Say if I turn it off at 12noon but I will use it in 3pm (3hours)? 6pm (6hours)? 11pm (11hours).

6. Where is the setting where I can set uses to log off if they are inactive? Is it recommended? If yes, how many hours?

Thank you.
Last edited by djtron on Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: NAS power settings

Post by dolbyman »

NAS HDD are made for 24/7 operation ..just let this thing run
djtron
Starting out

Post by djtron »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:54 am NAS HDD are made for 24/7 operation ..just let this thing run
Thanks. So less power on cycles is better than less power on cycles. I use it only for around 6 hours a day?

Should I set 15 or minutes for standby/hibernation of the disks at least?
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

usually turn on from late afternoon up to midnight on weekdays and turning it on as needed.
Frequent power on / off cycles for electronic equipment is generally more stressful than simply leaving a system running, especially for HDDs, assuming there isn't a design weakness that causes progressive degradation.

Temperature cycling is one of the ways to accelerate failure in stress testing work.
Short-delay HDD spindown was a common cause of early life failure in so-called 'Green' drives in PCs for example.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

Return to “Miscellaneous”