[TS-228A] SMB transfer Speeds

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
moxxa
First post

[TS-228A] SMB transfer Speeds

Post by moxxa »

Howdy gang,

Hopefully I am missing the wood for the trees on this one.

I have a TS-228A at home. Initially with 2x 2TB SATA 7.2K Disks in Raid 1
Transfer speeds where really poor. Datasheet says I should be getting 90 mb/s or so, were as I was actually getting more like 30.
As luck should have it, I am in possession of a shexy CISCO Catalyst, GB Switch and my PC is a Gen 10 Monster - so happy its not a networking issue.

So I figure it must be the 7.2K Disks, why not treat myself to a pair of SSD's?

Here am I with 2x Corsair SSD's (2TB each) in Raid 1, and still only getting 30-36 mb/s

I say to myself - how do I find the bottleneck?
I tried a 16GB file copy (already on the disk) with file station, copy from one folder to another, what do I see? 300Mb/s which would be inline with SSD performance.

So as a last storage based test I break the Raid and setup 2 storage pools (1 disk per pool) and I copy the 16GB file from one disk to the other - 200-300mb/s
While the difference in performance doesn't quite add up - I am happy that internally the NAS can deliver speeds of 100+ mb/s

When I then try to download said 16GB file from Storage Pool 1, across SMB - uggghhhh - 30-36 Mb/s
Lets try Storage Pool 2, urgggg - 30-36 Mb's

I then notice that SMB is using 1.4GB of system memory, the NAS only has 1GB onboard (982MB reported) - so SMB is obviously a resource hog!

On face value then, it looks like SMB **!

Just wondering if anyone else has seen similar or has any suggestions on how to optimize SMB on this "lightweight and powerful" NAS that was able to deliver 112Mb/s with 2x 7.2K disks in RAID 1 (according to the data sheet)

qderppp.png
Thanks in advance,

Mox

***** EDIT *****
Wonder if I present the storage as an ISCSI LUN instead; will I see better throughput - Might give that a whirl tomorrow.

***** EDIT 2 *****
DoH!!! I cant - the idea was to run home drives and some common network shares (mapped drives) so the family can roam around devices at home, so iSCSI wont cut it.
(Don't mind me - just conversating with myself :D )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Miscellaneous”