2 QNAP NAS, 1 WAN IP

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
fsoc1
First post

2 QNAP NAS, 1 WAN IP

Post by fsoc1 »

Hi,

I have an A record on namecheap which points to my 1st NAS via my ISP's WAN IP . I have recently just another NAS and wish to purchase another domain for my 2nd NAS. How can I set up my DNS on namecheap /Router/cable modem so that I can use the same WAN IP? Pictorially, it looks like this:

1_NAS -< WAN_IP <- [ DNS A record @ WAN IP Domain Name ]{namecheap.com}
2_NAS ???

Thanks,
fsoc1
OneCD
Guru

Re: 2 QNAP NAS, 1 WAN IP

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

This sounds like something that could be handled externally with SRV records (assuming your domain registrar supports 'SRV' records). 'SRV' records support port numbers as a target.

Each of your 'A' records would need a corresponding 'SRV' record. Each 'SRV' record would be created with only a single entry to point to your WAN IP, but on different ports. Lastly, forward each of these ports in your router to separate NAS on your LAN.

I've not tried this, so please let us know if you get this to work. If you get stuck, post back and I'll give it a shot. :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Miscellaneous”