TS-453 Pro dead motherboard

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
coriscow
New here

Re: TS-453 Pro dead motherboard

Post by coriscow »

coriscow wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:37 pm
brentm wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 am Add another QNAP TS-453 mini to the list. It was working fine on UPS power until a reboot prior to performing the latest firmware upgrade. After the reboot, no HDMI output, no beep, only a blue light, orange for ethernet (No DHCP address being assigned), and 4 red HD lights. Pulling out all drives and memory, and attempting to reset it leaves it dead as can be. The new power supply for the new NAS didn't help. No beeps and no indication of life other than lights. I ended up purchasing a new 451+ to replace it and HD's are fine but just found it odd that this thing died like it did.

-Brent
Exactly the same problem with my TS-453B as Brent had. In my case however there were no firmware update whatsoever. I just powered the thing off manually to avoid my nephews being bothered by the fan's sound during a night stay. The day after there were no signs of life rather than this "System booting... >>>>>" message. From What I have read and tried, I am pretty sure is a failure in the motherboard.

Bought it in 2017 and the warranty expired in April 2019. The official answer from Qnap support? 360 USD (estimated) for the repair and they recommendation that I should consider buying a new unit. This is just unbelievable!!! A device that is intended to be running for long periods of time shall never ever last for only 3 years of rather light work. We pay the price of a mid-end PC for a device that has fairly poor specs. But that's the deal, we accept it because it has other features and advantages. But they should at least care to produce a high quality device that is gonna last for a reasonable 7-10 years.

They even recommend you buying a new unit. The TS-453B is for sale, and it is gonna be for quite some years more. So, should I buy the same ** device that just broke out of the blue? Is that really a suitable recommendation? Simply unbelievable!!! And the thing is that I understand that recommendation level 1 RMA costs 270USD, level 2 360 USD and level 3 450USD. These repair prices are unreasonably high as well.

QNAP, if you are reading this, you got a client the moment I opted to buy one of your devices. Make a happy customer out of me in this situations if you want me to keep being your customer and recommending your products. And that is done by designing quality products, good support and fair repair prices. As of this moment you have just lost a client and I will make sure that my firneds and relatives know of this story before buying any of your products.
By the way, for those who think these cases are unusual... https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=ts-453b+defekt
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

coriscow wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:46 pm By the way, for those who think these cases are unusual... https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=ts-453b+defekt
???

Following that link I see no match for your search but two TS-453B, both new and unused...
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
coriscow
New here

Post by coriscow »

P3R wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:22 pm
coriscow wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:46 pm By the way, for those who think these cases are unusual... https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=ts-453b+defekt
???

Following that link I see no match for your search but two TS-453B, both new and unused...
Maybe that's because I am in Germany. But this is what I get when I search "ts-453b defekt" in ebay:

arwura
First post

Post by arwura »

My TS-453 Pro that I bought in late 2015 finally died with exactly the same symptom as the OP. No beep when powered on and no output from the HDMI. Just showing the 'System Rebooting >>>>' message forever. Removed all hard drives, ram & DOM, and didn't make any difference. Meanwhile the 6TB HGST drives I bought at the same time were still going strong :S
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Why on earth would anyone pay 200+ Euro for a metal box with a defect motherboard inside it ???
ImageImageImage
PickleRick63
New here

Post by PickleRick63 »

I have a lousy TS-253 Be here with a similar problem. The LED cycles red on for 1.5 seconds and off for .5 secs.

I have been quoted an estimate of €280 for repair as it's out of warranty. I'm in the UK.

I guess that's what to expect with computer networking equipment... It can't be cheap to replace a motherboard. However as previous posts have said I feel that this common failure indicates some design flaw with the hardware and Qnap's subsequent lack of care for us unfortunate customers does nothing but leave the brand Qnap in low regard. I won't be buying more products from them.
scott_ish
New here

Post by scott_ish »

Add another one to the broken list.
My 2015 TS-453 Pro just died in the same way. Got an email saying the system fan had failed. I went to check and the fan was running but the NAS was stuck in the reboot cycle.
Anyone had any luck finding the source of the issue? Seems like it must be the CPU, I've tested RAM/stock ram/no ram, no DOM and checked the powersupply and all is ok but never any beeps. I've very tempted to have a go at reflowing the CPU. If it really is dead then I guess there is nothing to lose?

Definetly seems to be a pattern here of devices failing around the 5 year mark for no reason. Very disappointed at something that cost ~100 per year.
[Main] TS-453D, 10TB, 4x 4TB Ironwolf, Raid5, 8GB Crucial
[Backup] TS-453 Pro, 10TB, 4x 4TB Ironwolf, Raid5, 8GB Crucial :evil: (with processor resistor patch! viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157459)
[UPS] CyberPower VP1000EILCD
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

from earlier today

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=158215
scott_ish
New here

Post by scott_ish »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:50 am from earlier today

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=158215
Thanks dolbyman, clearly I cannot use search properly! Following the guidance in that link allowed me to get the box back up and running again.
Shame its a processor issue though, who knows how long that patch will last. Forced me to get a nice new 453D to replace it!
Much appreciated.
[Backup] TS-453 Pro, 10TB, 4x 4TB Ironwolf, Raid5, 8GB Crucial :evil: (with processor resistor patch! viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157459)
scott_ish
New here

Post by scott_ish »

I guess its not really QNAPs fault for choosing to use what turned out to be a dodgy chip from Intel, but they could provide better support for a fix especially those out of warranty. Maybe even a discount on a replacement.
Mine is still going strong after the patch/bod/fix above. Its now my backups backup tho since who knows how long it will last.

Return to “Miscellaneous”