TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
theDV8
Starting out

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by theDV8 »

Adding my TVS-672XT (MB rev 1.3 purchased 7/28/2019) to the list of dead units. Here's the history:

I've been having phantom issues with my QNAP TVS-672XT since I bought it back in 2019. It would randomly restart or shutdown completely with no warning. After talking with support it was suggested that the issue might be the Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVME SSDs I had in the unit, so I tried removing them and the rebooting issued ceased. I sent the memory into Samsung and after testing them they said there was no problem with them. I've since been using them in another system with no troubles.

Cut forward a few years and the TVS-672XT had been running fine until last week when the NAS became inaccessible and the the buttons on the front of the unit were unresponsive. I did a 10 second power button reset which restarted the unit. After a file system check everything was running smoothly. Last night I shut the unit down via the web console to do some audio recording and this morning when I went to restart it the power button was not responding.
Here's everything I've observed:
  • After pressing the power button, the fans and drives do not spin up and the LCD on the front of the device does not light up.
  • The unit is warm to the touch (it's not hot at all, but noticeably warmer than the room)
  • Upon removing the cover I can see a red LED on the MB around where the CPU blowers are. This turns on the moment I plug the power cable in and turns off when I remove the power cable.
I've tried the following trouble shooting steps:
  • Unplugged the unit and plugging it into another UPS
  • Swapped out the power cable
  • Removed the drives and tried powering it on
  • Removed the PSU and tested the both the motherboard connectors and drive connectors with a multimeter they all show a steady 3, 5, or 12 volts (followed the instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDj3Wp03O0w)
Have a ticket in to QNAP, we'll see what they say.
louislkm
New here

Post by louislkm »

Adding my TVS-h1288X (purchased at 20/12/2021) to the list of dead units.

* Red light on the motherboard
* After pressing the power button 1) LCD on the front of the device does not light up 2) Built-in 2.5G lan port can light up if cable is connected
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

Whoa... TVS-h1288X ?? that's new....
Model: TVS-872XT 64GB (Crucial 64GB Kit CT2K32G4SFD8266)
2 x 1TB XPG 1TB NVMe (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C) [RAID-1]
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
Borg Backup running to an offisite pi, AND to the local TS-569L
Model: TS-569L Borg server for backups
6 x 8TB Ironwolf [RAID-5]
Qotom-Q355G4 Fanless Mini Micro PC running pSense in front of everything
haproxy for anything inside the LAN
louislkm
New here

Post by louislkm »

YES, TVS-h1288X. Only 25 days I owned it and then shutdown suddenly.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

louislkm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:27 pm YES, TVS-h1288X. Only 25 days I owned it and then shutdown suddenly.
While the symptoms are similar, it sound like a different issue than the one on the TVS-X72s. They usually don't deteriorate until having been used for many months and yours didn't even manage one month. You have close to a DOA there.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
cayou2000
Starting out

Post by cayou2000 »

P3R wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:17 pm
louislkm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:27 pm YES, TVS-h1288X. Only 25 days I owned it and then shutdown suddenly.
While the symptoms are similar, it sound like a different issue than the one on the TVS-X72s. They usually don't deteriorate until having been used for many months and yours didn't even manage one month. You have close to a DOA there.
I would not be so sure that the problem is not related, on my two first TVS-972XT it appears in less than one month. on the third 4 months later...
mayby intensive use is the cause of the failure as I run the nas full of HDD/SSD with VMs/videosuveillance and torrent client always on.
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

The answer to this is actually quite complex.... Although I think there is another QNAP variable missing below { (ΔQ)^X72XT }, which accelerates the failure specifically on X72.

Circuit_life.jpg
On a more serious note, QNAP does have some QC issues with their X72 PCB and I hope they get it solved. Thus far the overall service I think we've seen has been better than usual for QNAP per se. I also really hope we don't see these issues much beyond X72 models.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
J2121
Know my way around

Post by J2121 »

update on my 672xt situation.

QNAP support initially stated I was out of warranty. No options were offered for a fix (paid or not). I responded with a link to this thread and pointed out that many are having the same problem with at least some getting a warranty extension.

Support responded that there IS a warranty extension, but it "don't apply to all models." They requested a copy of my original invoice (although I already provided the serial number and other details with acknowledgment it was past the usual warranty period). I provided the requested documents. That was two weeks ago and there has been no response to the ticket since.

What's strange is that yesterday I received an automated email from QNAP with an RMA for the unit. Again, no mention of anything in the ticket. I take the RMA to mean that they WILL fix the unit under warranty. I shipped it out yesterday. Time will tell.
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

That is my experience as well on communication and perhaps they sometimes hold out a bit hoping you go away. I sent mine in assuming they were going to fix it, but didn't know if they were going to stick me with the bill. One thing that helps is having some ticket history with the random reboot issues if you had any before it died. It's pretty obvious there is a major issue and they need to address it.
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
jeff.r
New here

Post by jeff.r »

TVS-672N - US CUSTOMER

- Purchased this new on October 17, 2019

On Saturday, December 25th, my unit would not power on after a shutdown. I tried
several steps to try and get it to respond with no success.

- No LEDs on the front panel turn on.
- No beeps to indicate unit has passed the POST.
- No beeps to indicate the operating system is finished booting.
- No hard drive or fan noise present to indicate unit is powered on.

I tried unplugging the unit and then re-attempted to power on after several hours.
I believe this is the same issue as discussed here. No response from unit and only RED LED on motherboard.

- Mon, Dec 27 - Ticket Started, Requesting RMA
- Tue, Dec 28 - QNAP response; Requested purchase invoice. Done - RMA submitted for approval.
- Thu, Dec 30 - RMA Approved - As per instructions, RMA Form completed and submitted.
- Mon, Jan 3 - As per QNAP shipped the unit with FACTORY INSTALLED hardware ONLY. (shipped to California - I'm on the East Coast.)
- Fri, Jan 7 - Shipment received by QNAP
- Tue, Jan 11 - Support advised me that because parts are unavailable. They are upgrading me to a TVS-672XT.
- Wed, Jan 12 - Replacement unit shipped out.
- (TODAY) Tue, Jan 18 - BRAND NEW TVS-672XT arrived to replace my TVS-672N.

At this point I am a 'happy camper'. The upgraded model is brand new and includes 10GBase-T versus 5GB and added Thunderbolt 3 ports. I will get it set up ASAP. Jimmy from Support was very helpful and kept me informed each step of the way.

I will check back here once the unit is up and running. I will check the MB version and see what's inside.
QNAP TVS-672XT
- QTS 4.4.3.1439
- i7-8700T (Part No. SR3WX)
- 32GB Mem (Crucial CT2K16G4SFD8266)
- 6x WD Red 6TB RAID6
- 2x 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 RAID1 (Cache)
- APC SMT750C Smart-UPS
vincent2270
New here

Re: TVS-872XT dead New unit Q21 No Audio or speech

Post by vincent2270 »

phonitor wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:37 am Here is a picture of my TVS-872XT speaker connector on V2.0 motherboard.
Thanks,
Rich
I find them not to be consistent because I just purchased the 672XT from B&H the first week of January 2022 and the board is 2.0 with no audio/speech. It's almost as if they are just taking guesses in the hope to find the best board or solution. Yes, the audio or speech some may call it gimmicky but I would like to hear when the machine is ready or confirmation of a reboot, etc. But all I get is beeps like most of us. Heck for $1700+ they should be adding features not taking away features.

If they had a top-quality MB manf. such as Asus or MSI making their boards then we would not be having this issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CKCKCKCK1
New here

Post by CKCKCKCK1 »

I ran into this issue back in late November and RMAd in my 872xt. I received the replacement a week ago, and I'm still having the same problem. The MoBo shows v2. I've tried reinstalling and swapping out CPU, memory, HDDs, SSDs and it's still happening. At this point, it's degraded enough that I can't even get the device to boot.

I thought this was limited to older versions of the motherboard. Anybody else have a dud v2.0 replacement?
jeff.r
New here

Post by jeff.r »

REPLACEMENT UNIT ALL SET.

1) Reinstalled my memory and CPU.
2) Reinstalled all drives in same order as old unit. [2 SSD and 6 HDD.]
(Temporarily removed the TB card (1 screw) and loosened the PSU (7 screws) for EASIER access to the M2 slots.)

Upon 'system boot complete' - ALL MY DATA WAS THERE JUST AS I LEFT IT.

3) Had to update the NEW UNIT FIRMWARE to match FW on my HDD. (Everything seemed okay, but a mismatch warning in the log indicated that I should update.)

- MB is version 2.0 - Only Beeps - No vocal announcements. (Fine by me. I couldn't catch what she said half-the-time anyway.)
QNAP TVS-672XT
- QTS 4.4.3.1439
- i7-8700T (Part No. SR3WX)
- 32GB Mem (Crucial CT2K16G4SFD8266)
- 6x WD Red 6TB RAID6
- 2x 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 RAID1 (Cache)
- APC SMT750C Smart-UPS
CKCKCKCK1
New here

Post by CKCKCKCK1 »

CKCKCKCK1 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:33 am I ran into this issue back in late November and RMAd in my 872xt. I received the replacement a week ago, and I'm still having the same problem. The MoBo shows v2. I've tried reinstalling and swapping out CPU, memory, HDDs, SSDs and it's still happening. At this point, it's degraded enough that I can't even get the device to boot.

I thought this was limited to older versions of the motherboard. Anybody else have a dud v2.0 replacement?
I think I figured it out. The PSU cable to the motherboard wasn't fully seated. I guess when everything warmed up, it was enough to make a connection flakey. Now that I got it full set, it seems to be stable.
cav
Starting out

Post by cav »

jeff.r wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:27 am - MB is version 2.0 - Only Beeps - No vocal announcements. (Fine by me. I couldn't catch what she said half-the-time anyway.)
Yeah, it seems they've taken it out I'm assuming from the various board revisions.
Audio Input - (No longer available on units manufactured on or after 2021/1/1)
Audio Output - (The line out jack and speaker are no longer available on units manufactured on or after 2021/1/1)

Return to “Miscellaneous”