TS-431P loses internet connectivity...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
ecipch
Starting out

TS-431P loses internet connectivity...

Post by ecipch »

This started happening maybe about a month ago or so.. the NAS would drop connection to the internet, and give a whole bunch of "failed to update DDNS" errors... I have no idea why this is happening. Nothing has changed with the setup, and both that NAS and the Router are set to give the NAS a static IP address.
InkedScreenshot 2022-01-15 213627_LI.jpg
If I go to network and virtual switch, the "current WAN", "Primary DNS server" are not populated... (picture
Screenshot 2022-01-15 213207.jpg
I then go to configure the Interfaces, change nothing, and simply click "apply"
Screenshot 2022-01-15 213244.jpg
Under network and virtual switch, the "current WAN", "Primary DNS server" are now properly recognized, and internet connectivity has been restored. For now.
Screenshot 2022-01-15 213324.jpg
Can someone explain why this is happening??
It's very annoying, especially when I need to access the NAS via VPN, but can't because it drops the connection, "forgets" the WAN and DNS addresses...
LAN access and shared drives on the network work as they should.
The NAS is set to automatically reboot once per week.

Help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: TS-431P loses internet connectivity...

Post by dosborne »

There were a few firmware bugs that caused that error, and the firmware was pulled from release. What firmware are you running?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

dosborne wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:40 am There were a few firmware bugs that caused that error, and the firmware was pulled from release. What firmware are you running?
I think it's 5.0.0.1891. Updated to it yesterday.

Edit: yes, it is 5.0.0.1891.
Screenshot_20220117_054529_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Edit2: well I just checked, and same issue with this firmware.. Lost Wan ip, no DNS, no internet access....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Try recreating (delete and create) your virtual switch configuration. Also check to ensure your ISP isn't actually having issues. You may want to enter a helpdesk ticket if it continues after that.

(I'd also suggest going back to a stable firmware such as 4.5.4.1892) but that's just IMO. I, and many others, don't trust the 5.0.0 stream yet)
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

dosborne wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:06 am Try recreating (delete and create) your virtual switch configuration. Also check to ensure your ISP isn't actually having issues. You may want to enter a helpdesk ticket if it continues after that.

(I'd also suggest going back to a stable firmware such as 4.5.4.1892) but that's just IMO. I, and many others, don't trust the 5.0.0 stream yet)
Is it even possible to go back to a 4.5.x version of the firmware? I feel like I read somewhere that downgrading from 5.x.x is not possible.
I dont have a virtual switch set up.

What I did today was disable IPv6 in the NAS so that it only uses IPv4, and I changed the DNS address.. I'll see how it goes.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Many, including myself, have been successful in rolling back. Just ensure, as always, you have a backup of your data just in case YMMV. It partly depends on the type of volumes you have, the version of firmware you had on there previously, etc but I upgraded to 5.0.0 as I wasn't paying close attention (I was in a rush a focused on the LAST build number (duh) by mistake) and most of the functionality was broken, I had no choice really. Despite the warning prompts, it was smooth and working solid since.

As for a virtual switch, I could be wrong, but I recall an issue at one point where I had a similar issue and had to create, then delete the virtual switch (opposite of what I said earlier) to get around a firmware update issue. Worth a try as it should only take a few minutes. I would have expected this to be resolved in the latest 5.0 build though as this error was common early in the release cycle, but has been corrected on certainly the majority of units now based on reading posts here.
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

dosborne wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:32 am Many, including myself, have been successful in rolling back. Just ensure, as always, you have a backup of your data just in case YMMV. It partly depends on the type of volumes you have, the version of firmware you had on there previously, etc but I upgraded to 5.0.0 as I wasn't paying close attention (I was in a rush a focused on the LAST build number (duh) by mistake) and most of the functionality was broken, I had no choice really. Despite the warning prompts, it was smooth and working solid since.

As for a virtual switch, I could be wrong, but I recall an issue at one point where I had a similar issue and had to create, then delete the virtual switch (opposite of what I said earlier) to get around a firmware update issue. Worth a try as it should only take a few minutes. I would have expected this to be resolved in the latest 5.0 build though as this error was common early in the release cycle, but has been corrected on certainly the majority of units now based on reading posts here.
Well, it's been 24 or so hours since my last changes that I mentioned in the last post, and, this far, good news.. it's stayed online and connected without interruption. Hopefully things will continue.
Saddly, I should have made one change, waited to see, and then another. Now I dont know what actually seems to have fixed it. My finger is kinda on the IPv6.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

ecipch wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:51 am My finger is kinda on the IPv6.
Quite likely based on other posts I've read. Hope it continues to go well for you.
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

Unfortunately, the issue has come back.. Tried changing the NAS settings to retrieve an IP address automatically, but that didnt help.
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

Submitted a support ticket to QNAP.
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

Heard back from Support.. the person advises to either do a 3 second reset (erg... i dont wanna lose my settings), or try an update to QTS 5.0 B1932. I guess the update came out between now and last weekend.. I'm trying the update to see what happens.
wolvyreen
Starting out

Post by wolvyreen »

ecipch wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:42 am Heard back from Support.. the person advises to either do a 3 second reset (erg... i dont wanna lose my settings), or try an update to QTS 5.0 B1932. I guess the update came out between now and last weekend.. I'm trying the update to see what happens.
So did you solve this issue by running the B1932 update? I am having the exact same issue and it is very frustrating!
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

wolvyreen wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:04 am
ecipch wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:42 am Heard back from Support.. the person advises to either do a 3 second reset (erg... i dont wanna lose my settings), or try an update to QTS 5.0 B1932. I guess the update came out between now and last weekend.. I'm trying the update to see what happens.
So did you solve this issue by running the B1932 update? I am having the exact same issue and it is very frustrating!
Hey, ah.. Thus far its been ok. I'll post again if it stops working again.
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

Well, small update.. it's been hit and miss.. but usually ends up in the NAS loosing internet connectivity as described in my original post.
Just realized today that adapter 2 was manually configured to a local IP address... I went ahead and set everything to either "off" or "auto", and now adapter 2 shows as "disconnected". I have no idea if that is the problem or if it will make a difference, but we will see.
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

Nope.. no luck.. still does it. Very annoying. Might have to set it to automatically reboot every 2 or 3 days... the hell is the point of having a NAS if it just drops internet connectivity all on its own.

I guess the alternative is to buy a router that handles VPN requests and just forwards it to the NAS via the LAN. ffs...

Return to “Miscellaneous”