tvs-473 Stuck on booting

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
RoyalTech
New here

Re: tvs-473 Stuck on booting

Post by RoyalTech »

Grand_Batil wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:18 am Try this dom image (TVS-x73) ... then update with the latest firmware using qnap qfinder... here is the link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
HI

Can you please provide access this file
RoyalTech
New here

Post by RoyalTech »

I have the same issue. Someone please help me out.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

RoyalTech wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:07 am I have the same issue. Someone please help me out.
have you raised a ticket with QNAP and explained your issue with the recovery process?
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
RoyalTech
New here

Post by RoyalTech »

I open the ticket support team says you need to replace the MB and $660 to pay.
fdalex
New here

Post by fdalex »

Hello !
I have the exact same issue, TVS 473E, warranty expired 6 months ago.
2 days ago the NAS did shutdown for no reason, cannot pass the boot now.
Support didnt help much, except "send for repair and pay $400"

Did anyone find what could cause this boot problem ?
I can access the bios with no problem
I did a memtest check during 2 hours, no error
I tried to boot on an USB Ubuntu live USB, it fails.

After a long power off it sometimes start correctly, but then restart / freeze / shutdown by itself after a certain time.
Charlie2016
New here

Post by Charlie2016 »

Hi

I have the exact same problem with my tvs-673 just loads of cpu stuck errors when running recovery usb.

Has any body had there’s repaired ?
farma80
New here

Post by farma80 »

Same Problem with my TS-473
Bios access with no problem..
As soon it boots... freeze...

If you select boot always from certain USB, you can see the Ubuntu menu... but it freezes a sec later...
But if you are fast to select anything.... there is a chance to run Ubuntu... works 1 out of 10 times... :(
If Ubuntu is running, I didn't see any freeze or something else...

What Bios are you running? Are there any differences?
Bios Information
BIOS Core 5.12
Compliancy UEFI 2.5; PI 1.4
Project Version QY03AR53 x64

Maybe a similar Problem like the TS-453 Pro has... To fix it you need to solder a resistor to the board it works again, like nothing happens before...
TS-473 (stuck at "Booting the kernel") -> will be replaced by TS-673A
TS-453 Pro (DOM replaced with USB-Stick), TS-669 Pro, TS-419P II
FrameStore
First post

Post by FrameStore »

Hi,
same issue with my TVS-673 and only 4 years..
stuck at booting kernel and it shows also this CPU stuck thingi
tlathbury
First post

Post by tlathbury »

Looks like we have a trend here !

My TVS-673 recently is stuck on booting. Also not having any luck with QNAP's funky firmware recovery process. Clonezilla loads but once I click on the "Clonezilla Live" option nothing happens.

I believe the hard disks are fine. So I was thinking about getting a compatible new unit, upgrading a little, but I am reading on the Drive Migration page that this may not be possible if you use SSD caching. Since my machine is dead right now there is no way to turn off SSD caching.

Nightmare.
fotogeek
New here

Post by fotogeek »

Hey TVS 473 owners. I had this problem recently. Same as described. If i powered it down for a while it would maybe boot for a bit, then freeze and either restart or hang. Contacted support and they spent weeks (mostly because i was very busy) going through hardware tests and firmware resets. Nothing worked. They said it needed a new motherboard, and it was $660 for them to fix or I could buy a new unit to plug my drives into. I said because of this issue I wasn't sure I wanted a new QNAP they said - never mind we can't replace your motherboard, we don't have any available. Neat.

Before I was forced to buy a new unit, I opened it up, checked for any burnt or damaged components. None. I pulled the power supply out to get to the CMOS battery. Replaced that, and reseated the heatsink (it felt a little hotter than normal) with some new thermal compound. Fired it up and it worked just fine. And it's running fine now.

My guess is that it just needed a new CMOS battery? Or some issue with the heatsink. Anyway, try it out before you scrap it.

I reached out again and they helped me rebuild the raid once the unit was back online. So, you know, that was nice i guess...

Hope that helps someone!
fotogeek
New here

Post by fotogeek »

Follow up on my last post -

After a few days of running fine, I ended up continuing to have boot problems, freezes and crashes when I started transferring files to and from the drive. Unlike before, I was able to get the system back online after a crash by unplugging the power and letting it sit for a while. However, when I would start pulling data off to be backed up and it would lock and reboot or just hang once again.

I found that the heatsink was running about 130 degrees F. Even though internal system temps said the CPU was 107-110 F. Just seemed way too hot for being idle and only running a raid sync.

I was on the latest firmware - 5.0 (and has been stable for the last year or so). But on a lark i decided to roll back to 4.5. It's been stable again for 24 hours, and I managed to get all of the data off of it with no crashes. It's also running much cooler.

Could still be a mobo problem, but every test i've thrown at it comes up fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lapac
First post

Post by lapac »

I've got a TVS-873 that has the same overheating problems with 5.0 and I'd like to try to rollback to 4.5. After going to 5.0 it ran for about a half hour before it shutdown due to overheating and now it won't boot. I also took the CPU heatsink off and replaced the thermal paste thinking that would help. Then read your post and I tried to go through the routine of reinstalling the dom via an USB flashdrive per the QNAP wiki but it only got as far as trying to load Clonezilla and locked up. I'm wondering if you would help us all by detailing the process you went through to get your 473 back to normal. Thanks in advance ...
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

For rolling back no DOM recovery is mandatory!? :'
Just install the older firmware with Qfinder and you are done.
No idea, which steps you already did and if you did made things more worse.

Regards

Return to “Miscellaneous”