TS-653 PRO Stuck on System Booting

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
NightsEvil
Starting out

TS-653 PRO Stuck on System Booting

Post by NightsEvil »

I have my system set to reboot once automatically every week. The other day my system rebooted but never came back online. When I investigated in person it was stuck saying "system booting" With multiple arrows ">" creeping across the display like normal but never booted. I powered the system down manually and removed all disk's and left it unplugged for 8+ hours then attempted to power on the system again with no disks inserted and I get the same "System Booting >>>>>>" message in a loop. This worked just fine on 1/18/22 when I was accessing and using the device. I am not getting anything on a connected hdmi monitor and I cant find a recovery image or .DOM for this unit, please help!
jaysona
Been there, done that

Re: TS-653 PRO Stuck on System Booting

Post by jaysona »

This is a very old and very well know problem.

viewtopic.php?t=135089

Time to purchase a new unit and swap the disks to the new unit, or hope you're well skilled with a soldering iron. ;)
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
NightsEvil
Starting out

Post by NightsEvil »

But the system has been perfect with no issues and all of a sudden it just craps out? The system powers up great and appears to be working but just never gets passed system booting. Is there a firmware recovery image for my device available?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

read the linked thread..it's a degradation of a bus signal
NightsEvil
Starting out

Post by NightsEvil »

Yea I have found the resisters and DuPont wire and connector kits but is this the right resister?

EDGELEC 100pcs 100 ohm Resistor 1/2w (0.5Watt) ±1% Tolerance Metal Film Fixed Resistor, Multiple Values of Resistance Optional https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QG1VL1Q/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Also I just want to confirm that this should fix the issue even though the system is fully powering on but just not fully booting.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the reaistor seems fine ..very little heat dissipation needed

how do you know the device is fully booting ..when its not booting fully?
NightsEvil
Starting out

Post by NightsEvil »

Well what I was trying to convey is that it seems to be powering on all displays and led’s are active and what ever controls the animation of the display saying system booting with the arrows that move across the screen. I spoke with qnap today and they say it’s a end of life product and won’t even repair it so I ordered the resisters, wires and connectors and if that doesn’t work looks like I’m buying a new one. Thanks for all the help locating the information. I’ll post an update when I have one.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

The LCD module has a hard-coded (and animated) default startup message it displays until it receives a message from the NAS later in the boot process.

If you were to remove the LCD module from your NAS, then apply power to it, it would display the startup message indefinitely. So, it should not be relied upon as an indicator the NAS is actually booting. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NightsEvil
Starting out

Post by NightsEvil »

So after taking the cover off this is what I discovered (Imgur link below), no pins for the lpc only the contacts. I have no idea which ones to connect to resister to. I tried I feel like every combination the only change I got was 1 set turned off the usb light.

https://imgur.com/a/yyiAU9i
NightsEvil
Starting out

Post by NightsEvil »

I have soldered (badly lol) a 100 ohm resister to lpc contacts 1 and 10 and the system now boots up and is fully usable again. Thank you for everyone’s help and guidance on this manner here is the picture of final result: https://imgur.com/a/k18P9Mr
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Please remember that this is not a permanent fix.
The CPU degradation will continue and the system will fail permanently at some point.
The fix buys you time to preserve your valuable data and organise a replacement storage solution.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

Return to “Miscellaneous”