TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
vincent2270
New here

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by vincent2270 »

cav wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:15 pm
jeff.r wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:27 am - MB is version 2.0 - Only Beeps - No vocal announcements. (Fine by me. I couldn't catch what she said half-the-time anyway.)
Yeah, it seems they've taken it out I'm assuming from the various board revisions.
Audio Input - (No longer available on units manufactured on or after 2021/1/1)
Audio Output - (The line out jack and speaker are no longer available on units manufactured on or after 2021/1/1)
I find that very odd and inconsistent being that the user phonitor on page 21 has a photo of rev.2.0 and he has the speaker, but yet mine along with others with v2.0 is missing the DSP chip and circuit along with the speaker itself.
cayou2000
Starting out

Post by cayou2000 »

I am very disapointed.

Following the three dead TVS-972xu I had, I asked for a replacement and they proposed me a TS-983XU-RP.

What a joke. the motherboard is the same and is named TVS-972XU/TS-983XU MB V1.5 so i still potentially have the same issue with this model and the Redundant power supply unit are more like A380 turbine that consume a lot of power for nothing.

I think I will ask for a refund and found another solution for the storage of my data locally...

For the record the position of the hard drive doesn't matter and QTS realocate the right HDD to the correct order in the RAID or CACHE.
J2121
Know my way around

Post by J2121 »

jeff.r wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:26 am TVS-672N - US CUSTOMER

- Purchased this new on October 17, 2019

On Saturday, December 25th, my unit would not power on after a shutdown. I tried
several steps to try and get it to respond with no success.

- No LEDs on the front panel turn on.
- No beeps to indicate unit has passed the POST.
- No beeps to indicate the operating system is finished booting.
- No hard drive or fan noise present to indicate unit is powered on.

I tried unplugging the unit and then re-attempted to power on after several hours.
I believe this is the same issue as discussed here. No response from unit and only RED LED on motherboard.

- Mon, Dec 27 - Ticket Started, Requesting RMA
- Tue, Dec 28 - QNAP response; Requested purchase invoice. Done - RMA submitted for approval.
- Thu, Dec 30 - RMA Approved - As per instructions, RMA Form completed and submitted.
- Mon, Jan 3 - As per QNAP shipped the unit with FACTORY INSTALLED hardware ONLY. (shipped to California - I'm on the East Coast.)
- Fri, Jan 7 - Shipment received by QNAP
- Tue, Jan 11 - Support advised me that because parts are unavailable. They are upgrading me to a TVS-672XT.
- Wed, Jan 12 - Replacement unit shipped out.
- (TODAY) Tue, Jan 18 - BRAND NEW TVS-672XT arrived to replace my TVS-672N.

At this point I am a 'happy camper'. The upgraded model is brand new and includes 10GBase-T versus 5GB and added Thunderbolt 3 ports. I will get it set up ASAP. Jimmy from Support was very helpful and kept me informed each step of the way.

I will check back here once the unit is up and running. I will check the MB version and see what's inside.
I'm happy for you, but this has me more PO'd with QNAP than ever.

I submitted a ticket before you. It took QNAP 10 days to respond. Their initial response was "too bad - out of warranty." After some back and forth, they asked for my sales invoice to see if a warranty extension applied to my machine (wouldn't they know that from the already supplied SN?). I provided the receipt the same day. There has been no update to the ticket or communication since.

Almost four weeks after opening the ticket, I received an RMA from QNAP and returned the unit. The unit has since been received, but still no communication from QNAP.

It's crazy that you can receive good communication and get a replacement unit in less time than it took me to simply receive an RMA - all with no meaningful communication and having to fight for it. Seems their customer service is as reliable and consistent as their hardware.
Johann78
Starting out

Post by Johann78 »

TVS-672XT (from early 2019, no warranty)
Same issue here since some days.
Red LED on motherboard, orange LED on ethernet ports light up, but nothing happens when pressing power button.
But when unpluuging/plugging the power cable several times the system is booting, rebooting, booting ... and after some tries it goes up and is working.
When shutting down the System, the same problem again ...
I managed to get it up again an installed QuTS Hero 5, same problem.
I have removed everything, even the CPU, nothing helped.
I have also replaced the power supply, no success.
I assume that it is a defective transistor on the motherboard or s.th. like that.
So QNAP says this is not a manufacturing defect and I can expect to pay around 800USD for repair (Level 2 RMA requests beyond the warranty period).
I don't think the price is reasonable to exchange a motherboard. For that price, I'd rather build my own.
I'm not happy with this situation.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

have you pointed them to this thread..in regards to other users getting free warranty extensions ?
Yop1403
Starting out

Post by Yop1403 »

vincent2270 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:31 pm I find that very odd and inconsistent being that the user phonitor on page 21 has a photo of rev.2.0 and he has the speaker, but yet mine along with others with v2.0 is missing the DSP chip and circuit along with the speaker itself.
Interesting stuff. Can you pls post a picture of where about the motherboard is marked as V2.0? Will check mine next time I disassemble the box as I also got a replacement TVS672XT unit from QNAP a while ago - would like to check what version it is. But it has in fact no acoustic announcements, anymore (not that I need them).
Main system: QNAP TVS672XT (recently modded with an i7 CPU) with 3x HDD Seagate Ironwolf 12TB in RAID5 + 1x HDD Seagate Ironwolf 12TB single for snapshot replicas + 2x NVME SSD Silicon Power 1TB as R/W cache in RAID1. AJA speed results over Thunderbolt 3: Write 663-965 MB/s / Read 1500-1624 MB/s
Backup: QNAP TR-004 with 2x HDD Hitachi 4TB in RAID0
Yop1403
Starting out

Post by Yop1403 »

OneWayBet wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:20 am Once they fix the QTS 5.0 'Fisherprice' jumbo icons all will be perfect again :)
The 'Fisherprice' jumbo icons have been made for people like me with bad eyesight - love it :geek: :lol:
Main system: QNAP TVS672XT (recently modded with an i7 CPU) with 3x HDD Seagate Ironwolf 12TB in RAID5 + 1x HDD Seagate Ironwolf 12TB single for snapshot replicas + 2x NVME SSD Silicon Power 1TB as R/W cache in RAID1. AJA speed results over Thunderbolt 3: Write 663-965 MB/s / Read 1500-1624 MB/s
Backup: QNAP TR-004 with 2x HDD Hitachi 4TB in RAID0
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

If someone is interested: QNAP Germany doesnt reply to any emails or RAM request. The ticket is still as it opened on dec, 27.

Going to sue QNAP now.

Final QNAP device bought.
Last edited by johnripper on Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

keep us posted either here or in the German forum ... Anzeige is raus (German: For Legal documents are served)
vincent2270
New here

Post by vincent2270 »

Yop1403 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:06 am
vincent2270 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:31 pm I find that very odd and inconsistent being that the user phonitor on page 21 has a photo of rev.2.0 and he has the speaker, but yet mine along with others with v2.0 is missing the DSP chip and circuit along with the speaker itself.
Interesting stuff. Can you pls post a picture of where about the motherboard is marked as V2.0? Will check mine next time I disassemble the box as I also got a replacement TVS672XT unit from QNAP a while ago - would like to check what version it is. But it has in fact no acoustic announcements, anymore (not that I need them).
Just remove the top cover also look at my picture on page 25 posted around 9pm. Another user also has a photo attached with the same version but has the DSP chips on board along with the speaker attached
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

If anyone is interested I went through ALL these pages and built up a spreadsheet count of failures by user, date, and machine. I've had it up on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... um_thread/

I am aware of the survey type thing here as well...

If you see "Not Specified" that means I wasn't 100% which machine failed on you, I didn't want to assume anything. Send me a DM specifying what machine.
If I missed your failure send me a DM.
If something is incorrect send me a DM,
If... you know the drill.

Hope this is of some value.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet

Location Update Spreadsheet
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

there is no DM on this forum..so that "drill" wont work
Planeshunter
First post

Post by Planeshunter »

Hi all,

Sadly, I need to join this group of people who experienced the same problem. Just today my TVS-872XT is not working more after a normal shutdown. The only indication is a red LED on motherboard, I do not have any information on the front LED screen, no movement in fans, or beeps in the system, or whatever... very frustrating and dissapointing at the moment with this device that honestly it cost me a lot of money.

I open a ticket in QNAP, so waiting for the answer...
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:59 pm there is no DM on this forum..so that "drill" wont work
Feel free to send smoke signals then.
Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet

Location Update Spreadsheet
qqqkyo
New here

Post by qqqkyo »

Hi guys,

Long time hasn't checked with this forum after my first RMA since I opened this thread, I am shocked so many ppl got the same issue...

The first RMA unit(TVS-872XT) gave me random rebooting issue, after back and forwarded with the QNAP support they gave me the second RMA on that.
I have been using that unit without issue for quite some time since.

Couple days ago I have a scheduled UPS maintenance so I shutdown the NAS(first time since it back from QNAP), boom...!!!
It's not boot again, just like the original issue and same as all of you.

Since my original warranty was expired so I didn't gave it much hope but opened a support ticket anyway,
result is they extended my warranty for one more years and issued RMA ticket for me and which is good.
(The extended warranty will expired in this month but just enough for this RMA)

The downside is I need to send the dead NAS to QNAP Taiwan directly which is costly for me, and this is the third time so not funny.
(There is no service center in my place so every shipment I sent to them which cost me couple hundreds US each time)

Anyway I am not sure can I trust this model anymore since I have 3 major issues with the same model,
and so many ppl with the same problem...

I will keep posting the updates in here and hope everyone good luck with their replacement/RMA.

Regards.
KYO

Return to “Miscellaneous”