TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
bokr71
Been there, done that

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by bokr71 »

Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
old mike
Starting out

Post by old mike »

My RMA'D 672N was received at the Ontario canada repair facility on Monday the 2nd and I was just informed a replacement unit will ship out to me tomorrow the 5th, I don't know what I'll be receiving yet? I imagine it will be an XT

QNAP seem to be stepping up to help their customers but I'd like to see more transparency on the cause of these failures and be told corrective actions if any are being taken.
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

The TVS-X72N series is discontinued, which explains why people are getting swaps for Xs and XTs.
TVS-872XT-i5-16GB with 6*ST12000VNZ008 in RAID 6.
Backed up to a stack of a half dozen 'cold' external 12TB and 8TB HDDs - please back up your data, RAID is not the same as a backup!

Formerly TVS-463 with 4*WD60EFRX in RAID5, planning to reuse as an additional backup destination in the new year.
All protected by an APC SMT750VA UPS - protect your NAS from bad power!
TheSnowfury
New here

Post by TheSnowfury »

Me again :0 shiny brand new TVS-872X arrived today and I'm all back up and running with no data loss.

Hats of to QNAP UK, taken 8 days from originally reported to replacement up and running and that includes a bank holiday weekend.

Oh, and I have a new warranty too of course.

Thank you QNAP if you read this.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

TheSnowfury wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:27 pm Oh, and I have a new warranty too of course.
It's not of course and you were very lucky or Qnap very nice to you.

The warranty for a repaired or replacement unit is normally only whichever is the longest of 90 days or the remaining warranty on the original product plus the repair time.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

I also got a brand new 872XT (with the V2 mobo).

Unfortunately getting it up and running was slightly nail-biting as unit kept locking up while trying to do a file system check of the 'transplanted' volume, it finished it on the third go, and seems to be stable since then.

Weird.

One thing I feel noteworthy - this replacement has an i5-8400. Not the omission of 'T' - the existing 872XTs had an i5-8400T. It's definitely a non T series chip with the 65w TDP, as the power consumption at idle is about 15w higher. But I guess it's slightly more powerful now?
Backed up to a stack of a half dozen 'cold' external 12TB and 8TB HDDs - please back up your data, RAID is not the same as a backup!

Formerly TVS-463 with 4*WD60EFRX in RAID5, planning to reuse as an additional backup destination in the new year.
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

jacobite1 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:26 am I also got a brand new 872XT (with the V2 mobo).

Unfortunately getting it up and running was slightly nail-biting as unit kept locking up while trying to do a file system check of the 'transplanted' volume, it finished it on the third go, and seems to be stable since then.

Weird.

One thing I feel noteworthy - this replacement has an i5-8400. Not the omission of 'T' - the existing 872XTs had an i5-8400T. It's definitely a non T series chip with the 65w TDP, as the power consumption at idle is about 15w higher. But I guess it's slightly more powerful now?
Normally you want to boot the machine without you original drives and update the firmware to match what you had as close as possible. This takes away many of the lock ups etc.

Higher TDP means more heat which requires better cooling. Next time you have it open can you take a photo of the heatsink and fan setup, curious if they upgraded or are just using stock.
Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Location Update Spreadsheet
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Post by TeePee3NAS »

And another

My TVS-872XT went down this weekend. Red light but no response from the power button. Purchased the unit May 2020 in Australia.

I am now awaiting response from QNAP Support.
brianb2
First post

Post by brianb2 »

One more for the list. TVS-872-XT (v1.3 motherboard) wouldn't power up after graceful shutdown.
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:31 am Normally you want to boot the machine without you original drives and update the firmware to match what you had as close as possible. This takes away many of the lock ups etc.
Yes, I'm very aware of the process - I've done it a few times before! Not sure what happened on this case, but I actually believe a faulty QFirewall configuration might have been responsible, rather than the machine actually 'locking up'.

opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:31 am Higher TDP means more heat which requires better cooling. Next time you have it open can you take a photo of the heatsink and fan setup, curious if they upgraded or are just using stock.
Cooling assembly looks identical to the one on my old 'T' equipped 872XT. Apparently the 'T' series chips have really been hit by shortages so I can see why QNAP might have quietly dropped them. People have installed i7-8700 chips (65w TDP) in these units before without issue and reported 3-5 degree warmer CPU temps but nothing else. There is an i7 872XT and that's shipping, supposedly, with an i7-8700 65w TDP chip.

mheimbig
First post

Post by mheimbig »

My TVS-872XT died yesterday after graceful shutdown. Thankfully, I had 16 days left on the 2-year warranty. Q20 serial with a v1.3 board ordered May 2020. Sent in the unit for RMA today. I'm in the US and QNAP had me send it to their California depot.
mdegrechie
First post

Post by mdegrechie »

You can add another unit to the list (TVS-472XT). Shut down for its monthly reboot and never came back up. Red light on the main board but nothing else. RMAed to QNAP for out of warranty repair. :(
rolly1
New here

Post by rolly1 »

Another dead TVS-872XT here. Same problem many here are describing. I shut it down late last night, went to power it on this afternoon, blue LED lit up for a second or two and then ... absolutely nothing.

I just found this page and am beginning to read through and consider options. I am 2 months outside the 2 year warranty. Has anyone here who experienced failure outside warranty period had QNAP work with them considering this sounds like a prevalent quality issue?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

plenty..just read through here
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet

Location Update Spreadsheet

Return to “Miscellaneous”