can"t access ts-932X

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
BalooDottie
Starting out

can"t access ts-932X

Post by BalooDottie »

hey guys,
don"t know what to do.
I cannot get access to my nas anymore. I'm using qfinder for access (using a mac). Previoussly that would allow me to login perfectly, but now it just times out when I do a refresh. There is no firewall or other security issue, I'm on the same network, and I don't know if it finished booting because it doesn't do the long beep thing.
Last time I booted it was an hour or two ago.
All lighst are green, and the network light is yellow as it always is.

I di have issues earlier in the week where it indicated disk 3 was not there. I tried fixing that through, well no a single option for it I guess. For that issue I replaced the disk with a ne wone, which innitiated a rebuild. After that build was done, there seemed to be ne wproblems, and according to the log it actually tried to hot swap teh new disk 3 by itself (no idea how, it doesn"t have hands to do so), and when that failed it just disabled the disk, and thus I was back to the original problem.

Today I wanted to do a dump of th elog and post it here for help, but as explained above, I cannot access the NAS anymore.

Any suggestions to fix this?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: can"t access ts-932X

Post by dolbyman »

can you reach the NAS via SSH ?

if so do a

Code: Select all

md_checker

and post back the results in code tags
BalooDottie
Starting out

Post by BalooDottie »

I don"t think so. When I enter "ssh admin@<ip_address>" in terminal it tells me that the connection is refused
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Hope you have backups, that sounds like a bad case
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

BalooDottie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:03 am When I enter "ssh admin@<ip_address>" in terminal it tells me that the connection is refused
What is the IP address you used here? Please don’t censor private IP addresses.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BalooDottie
Starting out

Post by BalooDottie »

@OneCD
It’s 192.168.147.167
It has always been that ip.
The IP is consistently identified everywhere else for the NAS.

@Dolbyman
I can buy a new NAS (the same) and move the drives over to that one. But I rather not spend another 600€/£/$ just to get a new car and not being sure it fixes the problems.

I have the 5 raid 5 disks backed up to usb drives for the most part (maybe for everything). The other 4 small drives are all singular disks and I have no backup for those.

I’ve not yet tried the 3 second reset option yet, but I first want to see if there are any other options.

What I find interesting is that qfinder seems to know it’s there, but can’t seem to access it. I get the feeling that it’s currently on standby mode, but waking it up through qfinder doesn’t seem to wake it up. That implies there is a break in the interface between my laptop and the NAS, though it does show the IP address. It almost seems like the Ethernet port I’m using is not working properly.
To assess I could:
1) change Ethernet ports on the NAS
2) change Ethernet cables
3) change Ethernet port on the router
4) connect to a different router (I use my own router for my network that receives its internet from the internet provider’s router modem. I can try that router).

I’m hesitant to do a 10 second test because it seems I need to remap the drives, and qnap only points to a windows app to help with that, soo I might lose my data because there is no way to map drives using a Mac. If this is not the case I’d love to hear how to do that on a Mac.
BalooDottie
Starting out

Post by BalooDottie »

Correct. Qfinder times out with the basic “check blablabla “ message.

On my Mac qfinder shows the same IP address, which is also confirmed by my router.

On my windows laptop, I just installed qfinder to eliminate my Mac. Interestingly qfinder on my windows laptop doesn’t even see the NAS.
BalooDottie
Starting out

Post by BalooDottie »

I just replaced an Ethernet cable and connected to my router using the second Ethernet port (that should have a different IP address though).

Interestingly, when I highlight my NAS on qfinder on my Mac and select login, it now gave me a grey pop-up asking me to check if they are on the same subnet.

If the second port uses a different IP address then the pop-up makes sense. Although it’s strange the old entry still remains in qfinder.
BalooDottie
Starting out

Post by BalooDottie »

More info: on one Ethernet port on the NAS, my router doesn’t see the NAS.
On the other it sees it at the previously mentioned IP address.

The NAS shows up on qfinder because I had it bookmarked. I accidentally removed the bookmark just now and qfinder on my Mac can no longer see it. (Standard qfinder connection message when hitting refresh)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

your qnap does not boot into a usable state apparently ..eject the disks and see if the DOM bootstrap starts into setup
BalooDottie
Starting out

Post by BalooDottie »

Soo here is my findings thusfar:
New cables didn’t change behaviour.
Different router Ethernet ports didn’t change behaviour.
Different router didn’t change behaviour.
Direct connect to laptop didn’t change behaviour.
Different laptop didn’t change behaviour.

Different NAS Ethernet ports did change behaviour: port 2 on the NAS removed it from the network, as in, the router no longer sees it connected. This is different from Ethernet port 1, where the router does still see it connected.

If I combine the connectivity problems with the different behaviour of the ports, and if I consider that the NAS suddenly reported disk 3 as not installed, and when replacing disk 3, the NAS wants to hit swap the disk and then disconnects the disk, I suspect there may be a motherboard failure.

I have yet to try the 3 second reset and the 10 second reset. Not convinced about those, and my ability to access the data afterwards.

I will check your suggestion @dolbyman (though I’m not sure how I recognise that it does so)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you will know that it works (setup without disks) as the NAS should pull a DHCP IP and should be discoverable via qfinder
BalooDottie
Starting out

Post by BalooDottie »

Yep, seems to start up in setup mode.
Should I go through the smart installation process?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you won't be able to go through without disks, as you need disks for it (the actual OS is on the harddrives)

try and insert all the drives while the setup info is displaying and see if a recovery is offered
BalooDottie
Starting out

Post by BalooDottie »

That seemed to work. Now it’s asking for login details, but it doesn’t accept my own original login details (which would make sense), and it doesn’t accept what I thought at the default login details (admin/admin)

Return to “Miscellaneous”