TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
talmou
First post

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by talmou »

Add 1 more to the list, TVS-872XT-i5-16G died Sunday evening.

Usual red light on mobo, thankfully 2 months warrenty left
s1mpleUname
First post

Post by s1mpleUname »

One more for the running total (if anyone still checks) - TVS672XT-i3-8G

Out of warranty. Scrambled to get a replacement unit now as there doesn't seem to be much stock of similar models available.

Last full backup done 3 months back and was looking for a unit for off-site backup yesterday.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

should be a couple of migration compatible units..even 6 bay x51 units should work(unless there was m2 cache involved)
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

s1mpleUname wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:41 am One more for the running total (if anyone still checks) - TVS672XT-i3-8G

Out of warranty. Scrambled to get a replacement unit now as there doesn't seem to be much stock of similar models available.

Last full backup done 3 months back and was looking for a unit for off-site backup yesterday.
Still "checking"

Try to contact Qnap for a replacement and see what happens. Nicely mention this thread, maybe you'll get lucky.
Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Location Update Spreadsheet
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

With some tragic exceptions a one year motherboard warranty extension seem to be the standard on these faulty TVS-X72 line of products.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ovq
Starting out

Post by ovq »

Add me.
TVS 672 XT dead after reboot. Won't power up anymore.
2 years and 3 months old.
kfscoll
Starting out

Post by kfscoll »

My TVS-672N just died this evening. Fortunately I have a backup NAS (I learned my lesson when I had a Drobo that crapped out) so I'm not out any data. The irony is that I only turned my 672N off to install a 10G network card, and it looks like I won't wind up needing it if my 672N is replaced with a 672X or 672XT (my NAS is still under warranty).

Bummer.
sumnao
First post

Post by sumnao »

my TVS-672N dead with red LED, can not boot up and display : system booting ....
after replaced south bridge ship SR408 the LED change to green after starting but doesn't success booting
- all cooling fan are working
- the display : system booting appear 1 second and the disappear and still backlight show in the background without any text
- there is no beep beep sound...
- keyboard not detected / numlock led not change status
- HDMI port / no display
- try to change RAM 8GB / got the same result
Please advice what else I must check ?
nickle20
New here

Post by nickle20 »

Hi everyone, as many others, unfortunately, you can add me to the list as well.
I own the TVS-872XT.
Normal home use, nothing beyond file storage.
Powered it down and since then, the system won't even turn on at all, no matter what I do.
Submitted a case with Qnap, hope they'll do something with it.
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

sumnao wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:12 pm my TVS-672N dead with red LED, can not boot up and display : system booting ....
after replaced south bridge ship SR408 the LED change to green after starting but doesn't success booting
- all cooling fan are working
- the display : system booting appear 1 second and the disappear and still backlight show in the background without any text
- there is no beep beep sound...
- keyboard not detected / numlock led not change status
- HDMI port / no display
- try to change RAM 8GB / got the same result
Please advice what else I must check ?
I guess it's possible that the firmware required to boot may be corrupted. See if this thread helps at all. viewtopic.php?t=133899

BigUser
First post

Post by BigUser »

Howdy Everybody,

We have three model TS-2483XU-RP-E2136-16G-US*1 QNAP servers. On Thursday, October 14, 2021, I shut one of the servers down using the web interface, and tried to start it back up, but it would not respond at all and the red LED (Light Emitting Diode) was on on the motherboard. After trying to troubleshoot the issue with QNAP technical support, we were not able to get it to boot. QNAP repaired the server, and it is now working.

On Friday, April 29, 2022, I had to shut down all three of our QNAP servers using the web interface, and I think on Monday, May 2, 2022 I tried to start all three of them back up. The server which had been repaired earlier booted up with no problems. One of the other servers started to boot up as indicated by some of the LEDs coming on on the front of the unit, but then completely shut off and would not boot up again after repeated attempts. The third server would not respond at all on the first and successive attempts. If I remember correctly, I believe the red LED was on on the motherboards of both servers as well. Both servers are now at QNAP in Pomona, California to be repaired. Since three out of three of our servers have been unable to boot after being shut down, I have told QNAP about this thread and the other QNAP customers with the same problem, and I have asked them to please find the root cause of the problem. Good luck to all of you, and hopefully QNAP will let us know what is causing this problem.

Take care!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

BigUser wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:50 am ...and I have asked them to please find the root cause of the problem.
At least on the TVS-X82 model lines, I'm sure they know the root cause by now.
...hopefully QNAP will let us know what is causing this problem.
My guess is that it's faulty motherboards. How would a more detailed answer than that be useful to customers?

The thing I think is important is that they help all of the the affected customers. It would also be great if they went back to the customers that have already been denied warranty repairs and in some way helped them as well. I think that is very unlikely to happen though.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

P3R wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:09 am How would a more detailed answer than that be useful to customers?
It would give me the ability to easily repair mine and maybe others on my own when the time comes again. I'm sure for many of us it's not a big deal to replace a component.

jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:11 am
It would give me the ability to easily repair mine and maybe others on my own when the time comes again. I'm sure for many of us it's not a big deal to replace a component.
I doubt there are more than a handful of people here that have the equipment and knowledge to work with SMT, and those that do have the equipment and knowledge would not be posting here asking questions, because, well, they would have been dealing with SMT for some time already.

QNAP is at rev 2.0 of the x72 mobo's already (1.3 & 1.7 seemingly being the rev's frequently failing) and the .# change of the mobo rev indicates it is more than just SMT BOM being changed, this indicates PCB design changes as well, which is beyond the "easily repair" category.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

jaysona wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:54 am
opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:11 am
I doubt there are more than a handful of people here that have the equipment and knowledge to work with SMT, and those that do have the equipment and knowledge would not be posting here asking questions, because, well, they would have been dealing with SMT for some time already.

QNAP is at rev 2.0 of the x72 mobo's already (1.3 & 1.7 seemingly being the rev's frequently failing) and the .# change of the mobo rev indicates it is more than just SMT BOM being changed, this indicates PCB design changes as well, which is beyond the "easily repair" category.
Bah, you've lumped circuit diagnoses, reverse engineering, laser beams and photons and all into "SMT". I'm just saying part replacing which isn't rocket science if you have the tooling. If it was a known fault down to one or a few components then no big deal for a "handful" of people to help the community.

Not everyone here is posting questions crying for help and it's not an absolute if they do.

Mobo revision numbers again mean nothing unless you plan on diagnosing the circuits which isn't what I was referring to.

Return to “Miscellaneous”