2.5gbe PCIE setup

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
vickivik83
New here

2.5gbe PCIE setup

Post by vickivik83 »

Hi All,

please can anyone give some help if possible. I am a complete noob to networking and trying to learn on the go. I got a very cheap 2.5gbe PCIE card from China which i installed on on TS-453Be. I also have a Xiaomi AX5400 router with a dedicated 2.5gbe port. i can see the new PCIE device as Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller and shows up as adapter 3 in the Network settings in QNAP.
The reason i got the PCIE and the router is just to increase the transfer speeds between my devices and the NAS (phone, laptop).

When i installed the PCIE card and connected the LAN cable to the 2.5gbe port on the router and the new pcie card, i noticed on my router that the MAC address has changed and a new IP address is assigned to it (192.168.0.53). If i unplug it and go back to the old 1gb ethernet port, the MAC address changes and so does the IP as i fixed it to 192.168.0.3.

With the new 2.5gbe PCIE card and IP address, i cannot access the NAS with the old or new IP address. I can only access it when i plug it back into the old 1gb port and use the old IP 191.168.0.3.

Please can anyone help me? i would like to see if the PCIE 2.5gbe works and how much faster i can transfer files between my phone or laptop and NAS. Do i need to buy a 2.5gbe switch? would that enable me to access the NAS with the 2.5gbe PCIE card connected via LAN?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: 2.5gbe PCIE setup

Post by dolbyman »

On several levels you have issues

- You bought a random card...you need to check the compatibility list for compatible cards
- You use a router with one 2.5GbE port...this will do nothing to increase speeds of your clients, these will still only have 1GbE ports to connect to
vickivik83
New here

Post by vickivik83 »

dolbyman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:50 pm On several levels you have issues

- You bought a random card...you need to check the compatibility list for compatible cards
- You use a router with one 2.5GbE port...this will do nothing to increase speeds of your clients, these will still only have 1GbE ports to connect to
Thanks for the feedback. Please can you help me with where I can find the compatible list? Also, please do you know if I need to buy a 2.5gbe switch? I have seen trendnet PCIe card and switch, please do you know if it is compatible?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Compatibility list is here
https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/? ... ategory=11

A 2.5GbE switch would be the way to go here, yes.
2.5GBase-T is a standard, so any networking hardware that supports it should work (switches from Trendnet,Qnap,Netgear,etc)
vickivik83
New here

Post by vickivik83 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:26 am Compatibility list is here
https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/? ... ategory=11

A 2.5GbE switch would be the way to go here, yes.
2.5GBase-T is a standard, so any networking hardware that supports it should work (switches from Trendnet,Qnap,Netgear,etc)
Thank you so much

Return to “Miscellaneous”