TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
jaysona
Been there, done that

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by jaysona »

opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:08 am .... laser beams and photons and all into "SMT".
:roll:

It is a know fault - to QNAP specifically - and they tried to address the fault once with rev 1.7, then did not work and now QNAP rev 2.0 is released, only time will tell if there are any issues with rev 2.0 or not.

You clearly seem to imply you have the equipment and knowledge to work with SMT, why haven't you dove in to help out the community?
Mobo revision numbers again mean nothing unless you plan on diagnosing the circuits which isn't what I was referring to.
If that were the case, then QNAP would not have re-design the mobo and would have just opted for a BOM supplier change.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-872x (i7-8700. 64GB) (Plex server & encoding host) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6706T (32GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AX86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 3004.388.6_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC66U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.12_6
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

jaysona wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:18 am
opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:08 am .... laser beams and photons and all into "SMT".
:roll:

It is a know fault - to QNAP specifically - and they tried to address the fault once with rev 1.7, then did not work and now QNAP rev 2.0 is released, only time will tell if there are any issues with rev 2.0 or not.

You clearly seem to imply you have the equipment and knowledge to work with SMT, why haven't you dove in to help out the community?
Mobo revision numbers again mean nothing unless you plan on diagnosing the circuits which isn't what I was referring to.
If that were the case, then QNAP would not have re-design the mobo and would have just opted for a BOM supplier change.
You're pushing your own point without actually reading... "Known Fault" to us... meaning telling us what the fault actually is. Let me make it simpler... tell us what IC or component(s) is broken so it can be replaced.

I do have the knowledge and tooling to replace a component, what of it? Should I have been replacing random bits on the communities devices to prove my value? I am referring to replacing a component but you can't help but turn it into something bigger.

Again... the mobo revisions mean nothing in the context of what I am referring to. In case you still haven't got it, that would be Qnap telling us what component(s) exactly is failing. If a dollar fifty part can buy you two years of more use who cares how well they've redesigned the board that they will eventually stop replacing for you.
Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Location Update Spreadsheet
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

What supplier of consumer electronics has ever released a statement, describing/explaining a fix like this?

The LPC degradation issue is also a common fault or the x51 and x53 series..QNAP has never released a statement even acknowledging it, let alone proposing the resistor fix.

There could be all sorts of reasons ..one of them is probably liability due personal or property damages(e.g. pcb fire)

So waiting for QNAP to release that sort of statement, is like waiting for them to reimburse ransomwared NAS...not gonna happen
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

I don't understand the need to jump and defend Qnap when they weren't being attacked??

I simply replied to "what the benefit" would be if they supplied more specific info.

There have been tons of service bulletins over the years for far too many devices to mention regarding simple fixes and solutions. No company is going to waste their time sending out a letter to all owners but a service tech will have and share it.

I still don't get what the oversensitivity is about.

edit:
dolbyman wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:54 am
There could be all sorts of reasons ..one of them is probably liability due personal or property damages(e.g. pcb fire)

So waiting for QNAP to release that sort of statement, is like waiting for them to reimburse ransomwared NAS...not gonna happen
and again, I never asked why they haven't done it nor that I was waiting. You assumed it due to your defensiveness.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:11 am I'm sure for many of us it's not a big deal to replace a component.
Firstly I disagree about that being many people.

Secondly plain logic have since many months told me that the problem isn't what you wish for, a single or few cheap components failing. If it was that simple, then Qnap wouldn't have attempted to redesign the board and they wouldn't have failed coming up with a working solution. Also, if it was simple, gifted reverse-engineering people would already be into business offering to fix affected boards.

So given the background and thinking that lead me into asking that more or less rhetorical question, I don't find your answer clarifying. It just show that you misunderstood my question and that we seem to live in different realities.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:11 am
P3R wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:09 am How would a more detailed answer than that be useful to customers?
It would give me the ability to easily repair mine and maybe others on my own when the time comes again. I'm sure for many of us it's not a big deal to replace a component.
so..this is not a statment, hoping that qnap would release some sort of explanation? ..no?

Unclear where I was defending QNAP
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

P3R wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:53 am
opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:11 am I'm sure for many of us it's not a big deal to replace a component.
Firstly I disagree about that being many people.

Secondly plain logic have since many months told me that the problem isn't what you wish for, a single or few cheap components failing. If it was that simple, then Qnap wouldn't have attempted to redesign the board and they wouldn't have failed coming up with a working solution. Also, if it was simple, gifted reverse-engineering people would already be into business offering to fix affected boards.

So given the background and thinking that lead me into asking that more or less rhetorical question, I don't find your answer clarifying. It just show that you misunderstood my question and that we seem to live in different realities.
You are disagreeing about a non absolute which makes me think you just want to disagree, so your just cuz disagreement is noted. This is a public forum so I understand that you'll need to side with the general consensus. "plain logic" has told you? give it a rest, you're making assumptions.

What am I trying to clarify?

Yes, there is nothing to suggest your question was anything other than a question unless of course you were just being a smart a$$ to the person you replied to. Only you would know what your question was and it seems as though you have made it become what suites you the most in this situation.

Do you feel better about yourself for posting and placing us in different "realities"? I suppose you didn't have a choice if you want to continue feeling important here.

opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

dolbyman wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:04 am
opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:11 am
P3R wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:09 am How would a more detailed answer than that be useful to customers?
It would give me the ability to easily repair mine and maybe others on my own when the time comes again. I'm sure for many of us it's not a big deal to replace a component.
so..this is not a statment, hoping that qnap would release some sort of explanation? ..no?

Unclear where I was defending QNAP
No, it's not a statement asking QNAP for anything, if you actually read it you would see that. But let me translate it for you. It says what the benefit of knowing the issue would be for me and that for more people than myself replacing a component would be possible.

Stop making stuff up. It's really hard to take you guys seriously when you're so one sided and defensive.

Hrridly
New here

Post by Hrridly »

I was going to buy a TVS872XT so would you say it would be safe to buy one and if I do what motherboard version should I check I have e mailed Qnap before buying it is not as if these things are pennies as they cost an absolute fortune.

Can anyone give pointers as to what to look out for or better still avoid as regards to motherboard revision or manufacturer year. Sorry to hear of all these problems, you are experiencing.
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

Hrridly wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:02 am I was going to buy a TVS872XT so would you say it would be safe to buy one and if I do what motherboard version should I check I have e mailed Qnap before buying it is not as if these things are pennies as they cost an absolute fortune.

Can anyone give pointers as to what to look out for or better still avoid as regards to motherboard revision or manufacturer year. Sorry to hear of all these problems, you are experiencing.
If your goal is to feel secure about your purchase I simply wouldn't get one.

Here is the tally of failures and model numbers from this thread. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

opensourcefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:20 am It's really hard to take you guys seriously when you're so one sided and defensive.
Yes now that I look back I realize that I have always one-sidedly defended Qnap so I fully understand why you can't take me seriously.
P3R wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:40 am This thread is full of customer reports claiming that they're being charged when out of warranty so if a general warranty extension exist, then it could be very important for many people here.
P3R wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:28 am There are still customers that get their out of warranty claims turned down as there are no official documentation of a warranty extension to refer to but some kind of unknown case by case handling that leave the decision up to mood of the support representative that get assigned to your case...or something like that..?
P3R wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:17 pm Anyway, the user couldn't care less if the cause is MB design or if it's a faulty component. Qnap is responsible towards the customer regardless of what the problem is!
P3R wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:09 am It would also be great if they went back to the customers that have already been denied warranty repairs and in some way helped them as well.
It's the same with dolbyman and jaysona, neither of us have never ever been critical of Qnap and never really tried to help customers here. We're all fan-boys and generally bad persons. It's good that you finally stepped up and tought us all this well deserved lesson.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

"customers"... Proves my point and explains everything. A "customer" asked a question 5 days ago and you come in here and reply with that.

Have you even had a failure that people are having in this thread or are you the hired help to control dissent?

"Tought you a lesson"? "Bad person's"? There you go making crap up again. Are you gonna throw a fit and lay on floor claiming I hit you too?

At least throw some intelligence into this back and forth we're having.

OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

opensourcefan wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:15 am At least throw some intelligence into this back and forth we're having.
If this back-and-forth isn't wrapped-up soon, I'll have to separate all associated posts into a new topic, and give it a less-than-flattering title. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

opensourcefan wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:15 am "customers"... Proves my point and explains everything.
I'm not native in English, which should be obvious, so may not always know the exact value of every word. I use (Qnap) customer and (Qnap) user like synonyms for people owning Qnaps and have always done over the years in this forum but you of course interpret even that choice of word as me defending Qnap and it "explains everything" to you...

I'm sorry OneCD and all other readers that had to endure this garbage, I'm out of this fight for good now. :ashamed:

amadeus21
New here

Post by amadeus21 »

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting the TVS-872X (not the infamous XT). Maybe I missed this information on this thread but does anyone know if x72X suffers from the same issue as x72XT?

Return to “Miscellaneous”