How do I run a memory test on a NAS that does not have video out?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
BigRedBrent
Starting out

Re: How do I run a memory test on a NAS that does not have video out?

Post by BigRedBrent »

Well, I was going to double-check the torrents anyway, and since I was keeping the copied file in an attempt to reduce fragmentation, I figured I would check that instead of the original. And I probably added more than is necessary to double check it if that does fail, but at least it's thorough, I think. :P

I'm really very amateur at this stuff, and have just put together the script just from what I've learned by googling how to do different things. I am not very familiar with Linux, but I wanted to figure out how to do certain things, and this is what I've cobbled together to do it with. There might be better ways of doing it. This script is running inside of a container as well.
Last edited by BigRedBrent on Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
QNAP TS-873A
V-Color 64GB ECC DDR4 2666MHz (TES432G26D819K-VC)
ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Fan Edition
BigRedBrent
Starting out

Post by BigRedBrent »

I realized that the errors could have been a result of overheating of the CPU and/or the memory. I however didn't receive any beeps or warnings of overheating.

I did not realize this at first, but there were some vent holes that we're being blocked by the wall that I place it next to. When I opened up the case I could see that these were the only vent holes supplying air to the processor and the memory. Since I took the server down and opened the case up to run the memory test, this could be why I didn't get any errors. I've since glued some half inch thick spacers above and below the vents to make it impossible for the vents to be blocked. To me, this sounds as plausible as any other possibility.
QNAP TS-873A
nibbles2bits
Getting the hang of things

Post by nibbles2bits »

Indeed. In one of my many edits to you wondering what it could be besides RAM, I suggested hardware voltage irregularities, a flakey capacitor, or other things heat related now that it's summer. I probably deleted them all for rambling lol. Cover that thing up and test again? :P
BigRedBrent
Starting out

Post by BigRedBrent »

nibbles2bits wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:57 am Cover that thing up and test again? :P
Oh no, I would much rather keep that a mystery... :lol:
QNAP TS-873A

Return to “Miscellaneous”