TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
P3R
Guru

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by P3R »

amsterd@mned wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:27 am Interesting if true, where did you hear this? I'm still deciding whether its worth spending $1000 on shipping and repairs for a unit thats 6 months out of warranty.
It's been discussed on and off several times in this thread. I'm pretty sure the first one to mention the possibility of a warranty extensions or at least goodwill repairs here was Bob Zelin and I remember asked him questions about it at that time.

I think I've even seen a mail from a Qnap representative quoted about a warranty extension having been communicated internally within the Qnap support organization. Unfortunately it's 573 posts to wade through though... :shock:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Gav321
First post

Post by Gav321 »

Add another TVS-672N to the list. won't startup after clean shutdown. Contacted Qnap service through the web service portal on a Friday and had a RMA number the next Tuesday. My unit was about 2.5 year old and therefore out of warranty. So i am happy with Qnap service. I told Qnap that the unit wouldn't startup and the red led on the motherboard was on, I had taken out all drives and NVme's and still wouldn't start and then said that it appeared to be the same as others in this fourm post and pasted the link to this post. I received an update from Qnap saying they would check the warrenty status of my unit and get back to me. The only other information Qnap had was the serial number. On the Monday I uploaded a copy of my receipt just in case thay wanted it. On Tuesday they said "We still consider the NAS still under warranty for this case". I have now returned my nas to the place of purchase and now awaiting repair/replacement. The motherboard was rev 1.
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Location Update Spreadsheet
Preditor
New here

Post by Preditor »

amsterd@mned wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:27 am Interesting if true, where did you hear this? I'm still deciding whether its worth spending $1000 on shipping and repairs for a unit thats 6 months out of warranty.
It is indeed true. Got off the phone with QNAP support for a second time. The second rep said the warranty has been extended to all models for up to one year. Seems to be official (if not public or well communicated).
hknap
Starting out

Post by hknap »

opensourcefan wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:52 pm Spreadsheet Updated

Nice to see statistics, but it is sad to see this many units fail because of the exact same problem, "dead after a normal shutdown". Also seeing failures in replaced units is very alarming. I just wanted to add that I sent the unit for RMA and I believe it arrived yesterday. Its been around two weeks since the incident, I ended up paying around 250$ just to ship the item. Overall, I haven't had access to my data for around half a month and I bought a Sabrent USB 3.2 5-Bay (DS-SC5B) which also set me back 305$, but have been too cautious to even start the process of retrieving the data by rebuilding the RAID.
amsterd@mned
Starting out

Post by amsterd@mned »

Preditor wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:56 pm
It is indeed true. Got off the phone with QNAP support for a second time. The second rep said the warranty has been extended to all models for up to one year. Seems to be official (if not public or well communicated).
Anyone else having their warranties extended? When raising the ticket I pointed out the fact that my organisation has spent a large amount of money on QNAP hardware including 5 units of the 24 bay TS-2483 and around 12 units of the 8 bay TS-832X ans 832PX models. Customer rep still had no interest in extending my warranty from 2 years to 2.5 years for our TVS-672XT.
acidr4in
New here

Post by acidr4in »

Yesterday my TVS-672N joined this club, after a normal shutdown. Behind a UPS and OCP.

3 Months out of Warranty (purchased 03/2020 SN Q201XXXX)

Contacted the QNAP support let's see what will happen.
instabill
First post

Post by instabill »

Add mine to the list - TVS-872XT - put in a support ticket we'll see what happens
TheAnji
Starting out

Post by TheAnji »

wongleslie wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:50 pm Brothers, my QNAP TVS-872XT has been repaired from QNAP, QNAP company gave me a piece of paper returned with the Machine, and now sent it to you so that everyone can quickly locate the fault point during the repair.
Thank you. What is the Manufacturing year of your unit. I think first 3 digits of Serial number. I just bought it. mine is Q22.
to just want to know if issue is fixed in latest units or still there?
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

If the MoBo revision is ver. 1.7 or higher, I believe it has been fixed. The affected NASes have been ver. 1.0 or ver. 1.3 - and all replacement units have been ver. 1.7+

You can find the MoBo ver. printed on the outside of the MoBo towards the front on the right.
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
TheAnji
Starting out

Post by TheAnji »

If this many devices fail .. Is it still worth to buy?
I am going to return mine (Still not opened). are there any reliable alternatives in QNAP (For 4K RAW Video editing)?
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

OMG - if you have the updated MoBo revision, you will not have these particular problems. QNAP has been RMAing failed units, and thought it took some time for them to be consistent, it seems they are now on-board and replacing failed units.
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

TheAnji wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:21 am If this many devices fail .. Is it still worth to buy?
It depend on if you get the hopefully fixed revision 1.7 motherboard or not. With any lower revision I say no.
I am going to return mine (Still not opened). are there any reliable alternatives in QNAP (For 4K RAW Video editing)?
I haven't heard anything bad about TVS-h1288X and it's larger brother but most TVS-X72X fail at 2-3 years of age and the TVS-1X88Xs aren't that old yet I think. A TVS-h1288X is more expensive but would offer an improvement in performance.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
TheAnji
Starting out

Post by TheAnji »

Thank you bokr71 / P3R. I found MoBo version. it is 2.0. I am gonna keep the unit and use it. Thanks a lot for your help.
amsterd@mned
Starting out

Post by amsterd@mned »

TheAnji wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:21 am If this many devices fail .. Is it still worth to buy?

Avoid the giant 16 and 24 bay rack mounted units as well as those suffer the same problems (TS-1683XU and TS-2483XU). We lost 3 of our 5 TS-2483XU units after powering down for building maintenance. The other two live in a different office and will probably fail to reboot next time I have to power them down.

These poor experiences (plus Deadbolt) have led to us to moving to a different storage supplier despite having invested in around 20 QNAP units within our organisation.

Return to “Miscellaneous”