"Failed to connect to the internet" - huh?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
benny.evangelisat
Starting out

Re: "Failed to connect to the internet" - huh?

Post by benny.evangelisat »

benny.evangelisat wrote: ↑Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:16 pm Hi, any news about that?
I'm experiencing this issue from months (same as you) everytime NAS gets back from sleep. Apart from the alert everything works fine and the NAS correctly reaches the Internet, so I've been thinking it was a sort of bug causing the system to not wait for the network adapter to be ready before checking NCSI. Only now I decided to Google for it, and I see it's a known issue without a fix yet. Does anyone of you got real help from QNAP?
Yeah, I understand...this is standard support and the reason why I usually don't open ticket. As an IT pro, it really ** me off listening to all those b***** about "have you tried updating? have you tried resetting your NAS? have you tried praying the dear Lord?" even after providing all the information, details and data they asked.

I'll go with disabling NCSI.
tgsbn
Getting the hang of things

Post by tgsbn »

P3R wrote: ↑Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:13 am What I learned from many years of dealing with support people from many different manufacturers and being in different support roles myself:
  • Be positive, show that you know what you're talking about and most importantly, even if you're frustrated about the problem, try to be very nice to the person helping you.
  • Be well prepared. Make sure you have done as much troubleshooting you can yourself before contacting support. Try to anticipate their questions and have answers ready.
I've also had my share of support contacts from both sides of the counter in 35 years of working professionally in IT.
Your approach usually works pretty well with most vendors' support, but QNAP is a class of its own.
QNAP support does not want to hear about whatever troubleshooting the customer may have done already, and concentrates selectively on details that might provide an excuse to refuse support Instead.
My personal experience. Perhaps others have fared better.
minalo1
Starting out

Post by minalo1 »

tgsbn wrote: ↑Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:41 pm Ok, found something.
Hidden behind the "System Default Gateway" button on "Network & Virtual Switch" page "Interfaces", there is an option "Disable the NCSI (Network Connectivity Status Indicator) service".
According to the info text that service "periodically tests the status of NAS network connections, so that it can respond to changes in network connectivity", specifically whether it can reach download.qnap.com.
So my theory is that the real cause of the message is download.qnap.com being temporarily unavailable.

As the TS-228A has only one network interface, such a service serves no useful purpose here. so I have now checked the "Disable" option.
At the same time I changed the "Choose the system default gateway" setting from "Auto-select" to "Fixed" as there's only one possible choice anyway and any attempt to auto-select something else could only make things worse.

So far the message hasn't reoccurred and everything works as before, but it's a bit early to conclude that the problem is gone for good.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ Thank you have been looking for a fix, hopefully no more annoying messages
Severity Level Date Time Users Source IP Application Category Content
Warning 2020/05/12 00:24:11 System 127.0.0.1 Network & Virtual Switch Infrastructure [Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet. System default gateway "Adapter 1" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI.
Model TVS 682 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7200 CPU @3.9GHz (2 cores, 4 threads)
Memory Mem Slots 4 (2 x 8 GB/Kingston ValueRAM 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
Hard Disk 2x Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SSD, 1TB Capacity, SATA + 4x WDC (WD100EFAX 10TB) Raid 5 + TL D800S
Firmware QTS 4.5.2 1566
Axell
Starting out

Post by Axell »

I have the same error on my QNAP D4 last four weeks.
"System default gateway "Adapter 1" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI."
Is there any solution?
I have no OS and packages updates....
But, installed bit torrent clien succesfully access internet and download files! I dont understand how it can be.
I have no any changes on my mikrotik router.
I also have "planet" indicator in my Virual Switches so it means this interfaces have internet access...
Network Storages in use: QNap D4, Synogogy DS214SE
Axell
Starting out

Post by Axell »

I resolve my problem. For some unexpected reason there was NAT option in my internal network adapter settings. I disabled it and it works.
Network Storages in use: QNap D4, Synogogy DS214SE
Viridel

Post by Viridel »

This has reared its head for the last 36 hours. One device in the US one in Canada, same error. Yet both devices actually do connect to the internet just fine (or else I wouldn't get the constant email notifications).
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Axell wrote: ↑Fri May 21, 2021 5:13 pm I resolve my problem. For some unexpected reason there was NAT option in my internal network adapter settings. I disabled it and it works.
thx for sharing.

for myself, every now and then i get the occassional

warning about internet down, but everytime i check via qnap app center within qts, it seems to be fine.

so i am very tempted to disabled "Network Connectivity Status Indicator" if it keeps on giving me these false warnings :' (not saying it's incorrect like a bug. it may or may not be i'm unsure)

becauz eitherway every single time i checked it's fine, so i donno.... the notifications for internet down don't really help me in my case, because functionally my qnap has internet to check for firmware updates, and appcenter.

i'll keep observing for now. fyi i'm using latest qts 5.0.1 open beta firmware

benny.evangelisat wrote: ↑Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:30 pm
benny.evangelisat wrote: ↑Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:16 pm Hi, any news about that?
I'm experiencing this issue from months (same as you) everytime NAS gets back from sleep. Apart from the alert everything works fine and the NAS correctly reaches the Internet, so I've been thinking it was a sort of bug causing the system to not wait for the network adapter to be ready before checking NCSI. Only now I decided to Google for it, and I see it's a known issue without a fix yet. Does anyone of you got real help from QNAP?
Yeah, I understand...this is standard support and the reason why I usually don't open ticket. As an IT pro, it really ** me off listening to all those b***** about "have you tried updating? have you tried resetting your NAS? have you tried praying the dear Lord?" even after providing all the information, details and data they asked.

I'll go with disabling NCSI.
unless u plan to do this figuratively speaking (and yes thats a burning grill .... the point is it's f***d up :? )

, then try you're best not to rely on helpdesk when possible, is what i found out :S
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

See also here: viewtopic.php?f=25&p=821701#p821692.
So an error at QNAP...

Regards
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

FSC830 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:05 pm So an error at QNAP...
And the Qnap solution is to disable the symptom instead of fixing what is broken. *Facepalm*
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
tgsbn

Post by tgsbn »

Not quite. Having NCSI active on a NAS with a single network connection is in fact broken by itself. NCSI only makes sense if there is an alternative to the connection you just detected as failed.
deejinoz
Starting out

Post by deejinoz »

I have had it confirmed, today, that QNAP are aware of a bug in the NCSI service whereby repeated errors are thrown, with words to the effect of:

App Name: Network & Virtual Switch
Category: Infrastructure
Message: [Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet. System default gateway "Adapter n" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI.

Sadly, not only do they appear to not be giving this bug any priority to fix (earliest reports I have been able to find are from 2018) but they seem to be confusing this bug with another bug, whereby selecting the "Disable the NCSI (Network Connectivity Status Indicator) service" fails to disable the service.

I have attempted to make them aware of the fact that they are dealing with two seperate bugs in the same service. Let's hope they are able to fix at least one of them soon.
gup133
Starting out

Post by gup133 »

same issue. tried to disable NCSI checking but occasionally I got disconnected by the NAS and re-connected after seconds....
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

gup133 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:58 pm I got disconnected by the NAS and re-connected after seconds....
But that's not the same symptom everyone else have, is it?

That sound more like a real local network connection issue. Have you checked your cables and switch/router?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to β€œMiscellaneous”