Verdict for QMagie vs Photo Station

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
JCNAP
Starting out

Verdict for QMagie vs Photo Station

Post by JCNAP »

After browsing through a few forums/blogs... the verdict seems to tip in favour of Photo Station.

https://appgrooves.com/compare/app-qpho ... ystems-inc

Not just on that link, but the general sentiment everywhere else, seems to concur.

I am wondering if - now that I am so disappointed with QMagie - what the community thinks?

Here some explained what it does: viewtopic.php?t=161459

But no straightforward love it or hate it.

Anyone else thinking of ditching Qmagie? Or... didn't even bother to switch from Photo Station.

Just wanted to weigh it up with the lovers and haters in this forum... help me decide, before pouring endless time again in face recognition / album making / etc.

Hopefully will help others on the same boat. Cheers.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Verdict for QMagie vs Photo Station

Post by dolbyman »

I would use the NAS as a NAS (holding your data) and then use a client software to do any sort of file sort/tag/edit for you.

Any of these "on NAS" apps always have the very clear and present danger, to use them Web exposed (we talked about it in another thread).

So people using photo station from on the go or to share pictures with family and friends learn one day the VERY hard way that all their pictures are lost forever (malware)
JCNAP
Starting out

Post by JCNAP »

I don't know of any app that will keep my NAS and my iPhone in sync... seamlessly as mentioned above.... if you know of one, I'm happy to give it a go!

I'm not as worried about the loss of images - most of them backed up - and the time lost from a rebuild.

I'm more concerned if that malware can makes its way into my other devices from the NAS.... I'm thinking of ?router VPN.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

From previous discussions, people have been vouching for darktable

https://www.darktable.org/

Don't be so nonchalant about malware infections (or takeovers of infected NAS), there have been instances of hacked NAS that were used for illegal file transfers .. when the police knocks on your door and confiscates all your IT equipment .. you will think differently. Also infections that remain unnoticed can also spread to backups. So preventing NAS infection in the first place should be your priority
JCNAP
Starting out

Post by JCNAP »

I see. Quite a predicament.

So. Now with firewalls up. Untethered from the of the world, I've accidentally lead the topic a astray:

QNAP NAS apps for sharing are terribly restrictive, to the point I won't use my NAS for it - sharing.

There's no good/secure/responsive solution offered by QNAP.

Photo Station and Qmagie in that case, do much of what I need. I'mg going to ditch qmagie for now and give Photo Station a go at home only, along with Darktable.

Thanks.

I'm open to any other suggestions if anyone else wants to pitch in.
ritters
Know my way around

Post by ritters »

A firewall is NOT a protection against hacking your NAS. You have to setup a VPN on your router.

Return to “Miscellaneous”