Disabling UPS

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
graemev
Know my way around

Disabling UPS

Post by graemev »

I wrote a rather large missive, on this site, on using a UPS with the QNAP.

Well it's been working fine, but time for an upgrade.

The upgrade in question is to replace the machine (server) where the UPS is plugged into via USB. At some point this involves:
  • Power up new server
    Power down old server
Around that time there will be much reconfiguring of said server.

Now I pretty sure as soon as I, either unplug the USB or take the server offline (via unplugging or shutting down) the QNAP will trigger a shutdown (I know I can set delays etc)

What I need to do is "Turn off UPS support" in the QNAP, until I have a new server in place. I assumed this would simply be a checkbox somewhere, but I can't see one. All I can do is choose what style of UPS I have (USB, SNMP or Network UPS Slave)

Now I have a suspicion that people without a UPS simply don't see the menu, so I can't ask what do people see when that have no UPS. So I'm left with "have you done this?" .. how?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Disabling UPS

Post by dolbyman »

Unplugging the UPS does not cause a shutdown
graemev
Know my way around

Post by graemev »

Well I know shutting down the server where the UPS is plugged in does, because I did it by accident a while back ...actually I powered down a switch that sat between the UPS+server and the NAS.
But the question is still valid, what if I decided I no longer want to use a UPS, there does not seem to be an option to remove it?
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

graemev wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:07 am But the question is still valid, what if I decided I no longer want to use a UPS, there does not seem to be an option to remove it?
The action is triggered by the event being reported by the UPS. If you physically unplug it, then there is no device and therefore no event will be sent to the master.

If a shutdown is triggered by a switch going offline, then that is a serious bug. Are you talking about all QNAP systems here (as far as the NASes go and the monitoring)? I have multiple QNAP NAS running and configured against a single master and as of yet I have never seen an event trigger a shutdown other than a legit power interruption (and I've shutdown the master, unplugged network cables, unplugged the USB monitor, rebooted the switch/router that connects them all, etc). Of course there are always variables such as differences in the UPS brands, drivers etc but I would think and hope it would be seriously wrong if what you describe (a simple loss of connectivity) would trigger shutdowns. As you state, there are limited options in the UI but I would say it is a client issue. Although, you could look in the logs, if you still have them, to see why if the master or slave triggered the event, and hopefully why.

WAY back (30 years ago?) I know I had lots of different options (running a full UPS monitor system - I forget what it was called (powerAPC)?) where dozens of options existed to handle dozens of variables such as simple loss of connectivity.

If you are worried, disconnect all the clients (I object to the "slave" terminology) first, make your hardware changes, then add the clients back?
However, from what I've seen with my stuff, I would be 99.9% sure that it wouldn't be necessary, of course YMMV.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
graemev
Know my way around

Post by graemev »

Well that was a annoying/interesting .

A: It works as you say, when I unplug the usb cable (at the computer end) , the QNAP sends me an email to say there are USB power issues, but does not (start to) shut down.
I note, it send the email, but there are no events in the various logs, seems rather inconsistent.

B. When I plugged the UPS in the new machine, no USB device appeared (as if nothing had been plugged in, which is why I pointed out which end I'd unplugged). Tried a number
of things:
  1. went back to original machine
  2. Tried 3 different USB cables
  3. Tried hot-plugging and plugging in before boot
  4. Powered down whole system, so UPS shutdown
  5. Removed the UPS and took it away to cool down for half hour
And the last of these (only) worked. This makes me skeptical . Presumably the "tiny computer" onboard the UPS had stopped working (due to heat?) . So when I've tested
this setup in the past , it's obviously just after I wired it up (and it wasn't 30+ degree C) ...I think I'll need to retest on a hot day.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

What brand/model UPS are you running?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
graemev
Know my way around

Post by graemev »