TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Optimised
New here

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by Optimised »

monoeilouais wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:51 am Hello
TVS 672XT can be added to the list as well.
I rebooted and it's dead. Motherboard version 1.0.

I opened a ticket, and I hope they will find a cool solution.
I also run a TVS-672XT and am very concerned about these failures.
How did you find out the motherboard version?
Did you physically inspection the motherboard to find the Version No?

I have read to check the spreadsheet to determine your motherboard version by your NAS's Serial No, although the spreadsheet does not have Serial No's listed so there is no way to check.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Optimised wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:58 am
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=153097&start=645#p825469

serial can be checked via QTS GUI
shdwkeeper
First post

Post by shdwkeeper »

Well it just happened to me as well. I have the TVS-672N with version 1.0 Motherboard, got an RMA and now I'm up running again with a version 2.0 Motherboard. Just moved Drives over to new unit after upgrading firmware and all is good.

QNAP was a huge help on this.
johnfooten
New here

Post by johnfooten »

Folks,

I have been denied an extension to the warranty 26 months after I bought the unit. I got this email:

Hi John,

I am sorry that my Supervisor & our Manager do not approve the request.

An out of warranty to repair you unit costs $750USD. If you are interested to process it, please keep me posted.

Thanks,
Clive

I'm done with Qnap after buying three units. As soon as I got that email I went online and bought a Synology to replace it. The question now is what to do with the unit. Should I get it repaired and sell it (for more than 750 obviously)? Can I buy just a motherboard and repair myself? Is everyone else getting denied now?

No warning. They knew of this issue and did nothing to let us know. I don't recommend Qnap.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

johnfooten wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 am I have been denied an extension to the warranty 26 months after I bought the unit.
This random treatment of customers is appaling. Companies that have a spine decide on a policy and follow it, for all affected users. As a Qnap customer, it's apparently now a lottery if you get the extended warranty or not.
I'm done with Qnap after buying three units. As soon as I got that email I went online and bought a Synology to replace it.
I understand you.
The question now is what to do with the unit. Should I get it repaired and sell it (for more than 750 obviously)?
If you know that you can sell it for more then it's a no-brainer.
Can I buy just a motherboard and repair myself?
No. As far as is known, they don't sell their custom made MBs.
Is everyone else getting denied now?
Nobody outside Qnap can know.
No warning. They knew of this issue and did nothing to let us know.
This I don't understand at all.

What company would go out and tell their customers that their product may fail when it's 3-4 years old? For the supplier I think that would be a stupid thing to do. They have nothing to gain but will lose hugely in product trust and it would spill over on non-affected models as well.

Would a previous warning really have made you happy and not angry with them today?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

P3R wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:12 pm This random treatment of customers is appaling. Companies that have a spine decide on a policy and follow it, for all affected users. As a Qnap customer, it's apparently now a lottery if you get the extended warranty or not.
💯

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

P3R wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:12 pm
johnfooten wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 am I have been denied an extension to the warranty 26 months after I bought the unit.
This random treatment of customers is appaling. Companies that have a spine decide on a policy and follow it, for all affected users. As a Qnap customer, it's apparently now a lottery if you get the extended warranty or not.
nailed it

This is the real issue here. Mistakes, defects, manufacturing issues etc etc happen, fact of life. How a company handles those issues is what matters and Qnap is a disjointed mess. Left hand is helping customers while the right hand is slapping them in the face. Why anyone would invest in actual infrastructure with Qnap is beyond me.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet

Location Update Spreadsheet
johnfooten
New here

Post by johnfooten »

If you want to add me to the spreadsheet, mine was a TVS-872XT.
monoeilouais
Starting out

Post by monoeilouais »

johnfooten wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 am Folks,

I have been denied an extension to the warranty 26 months after I bought the unit. I got this email:

Hi John,

I am sorry that my Supervisor & our Manager do not approve the request.

An out of warranty to repair you unit costs $750USD. If you are interested to process it, please keep me posted.

Thanks,
Clive

I'm done with Qnap after buying three units. As soon as I got that email I went online and bought a Synology to replace it. The question now is what to do with the unit. Should I get it repaired and sell it (for more than 750 obviously)? Can I buy just a motherboard and repair myself? Is everyone else getting denied now?

No warning. They knew of this issue and did nothing to let us know. I don't recommend Qnap.
Hello

Did you receive the email after sending back the unit to QNAP ?
monoeilouais
Starting out

Post by monoeilouais »

shdwkeeper wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:20 pm Well it just happened to me as well. I have the TVS-672N with version 1.0 Motherboard, got an RMA and now I'm up running again with a version 2.0 Motherboard. Just moved Drives over to new unit after upgrading firmware and all is good.

QNAP was a huge help on this.
Good to read !
Was it fast for you since crash and brand new unit ?
Optimised
New here

Post by Optimised »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:54 am
Optimised wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:58 am
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=153097&start=645#p825469

serial can be checked via QTS GUI
Thanks for your feedback "dolbyman".

I have my Serial No although there is no way to reference it to the spreadsheet as the spreadsheet does not contain serial no's (sensitive info).

Is there way to identify your motherboard version without powering down the nas and self inspecting.

Apologies in advance if I misunderstood your directions.

Thanx
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Serial should contain the QXX number as in build year, devices build in Q22 or Q21 should be ok.

But there js no way to read the board revision, without physically checking it
johnfooten
New here

Post by johnfooten »

monoeilouais wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:51 pm

Hello

Did you receive the email after sending back the unit to QNAP ?
As soon as I opened a ticket they told me it was the motherboard. All I said was it wouldn't power up. I got the email before sending. I sent it today. I plan to sell it on ebay after I get it back and test it.
Last edited by dolbyman on Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
reedbrandvold
New here

Post by reedbrandvold »

my TVS-672N died last night after I tried a reboot, it powered down but not back up. Purchased October 27, 2019 so it'll be out of warranty. Opened a ticket this AM, listed my trouble shooting steps, but like we all know, its the motherboard. Anyone out of warranty have a strategy to get them to replace under warranty or get snap to extend the warranty?
reedbrandvold
New here

Post by reedbrandvold »

reedbrandvold wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:41 am my TVS-672N died last night after I tried a reboot, it powered down but not back up. Purchased October 27, 2019 so it'll be out of warranty. Opened a ticket this AM, listed my trouble shooting steps, but like we all know, its the motherboard. Anyone out of warranty have a strategy to get them to replace under warranty or get snap to extend the warranty?
after reading more posts the warranty has been extended to 3 years? if so I just squeaked in at 2 y 11m thank god. well hopefully I can get it fixed

Return to “Miscellaneous”