TS-231p will not stay power-off and shutdown hangs

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
pcpete
New here

TS-231p will not stay power-off and shutdown hangs

Post by pcpete »

Hello,

I hope I am in the right place. I have a 2-Bay TS-231P with the Annapurna Dual 1.7 GHz processor. I have tried different QTS firmware but no matter what I am unable to keep the unit powered off. Also, the shutdown procedure has been hanging later (with processes not being killed). Drives do not like to spin-down for powersave. The unit is basically out of the box without Media Center or firewall running.

What can I do to remedy this?

A few other details, firmware ran:
  • 20220802-4.5.4.2117
  • 20220815-5.0.0.2131
-WOL is disabled
Power-On On Failure is OFF

I admit that my drives are old Seagate 2TB 7200.11s which might not be on compatibility list but are clean and have no SMART problems/bad sectors. I do not intend to use this device heavy, I just want to be able to turn it off to save power/security.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-231p will not stay power-off and shutdown hangs

Post by dolbyman »

So the unit will not stay off and powers back on by itself ?
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

There was an issue were some units had drives that would power up and cycle, but not the entire NAS. But, I'm on the 4.5.4 stream with my TS-231P and have not experienced and power up issues (and this unit stays (soft) powered down unless I'm running a manual weekly backup).

At one point I had installed an on/off power switch adapter in front of the power brick to theoretically and hopefully) extend the life of the power supply, but I stopped doing that about 2 years ago as it was a hassle. Not that I think it is in any way relevant to your power up issue other than something like that, or a power strip could obviously be used to prevent random power ups.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
pcpete
New here

Post by pcpete »

Interesting, thanks for the replies. I appreciate both of your insight!

@Dosborne, it is cool that your TS-231p unit stays soft powered down unless running that manual back-up. It should like your unit is functioning perfectly and maybe like you say this is just those old HDDs powering-up and cycling.
@Dolbyman -- Yes, my TS-231p seemingly will power back on! I turn it off through the software shutdown or a 1.5 second push on the power button and eventually it'll boot back up.

Yesterday on 20220815-5.0.0.2131 (before 4.5.4 downgrade) it was probably the first time it turned off and stayed off until drives spinning (maybe that HDD powerup and cycle bug since I don't think I could access the Web Interface)
pcpete
New here

Post by pcpete »

(I am tempted to get the TS-233 if that would be the end-all but I just am being careful about investing more money and buying new drives before I know it would work :) )
pcpete
New here

Post by pcpete »

PS, I'd love to be able to test older firmwares like 4.4.1 if anyone knows where I could possibly download. These are no longer on the QNAP site!

I would like to only use this device on the LAN so I'm not as concerned with deadbolt.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Still not clear if just the drives are powering up or if the whole unit is powering up.

Does (whatever powers up) power down again automatically or do you have to shut it down?

I doubt the age of the drives matters, if the unit/drives are powering up, it is either a configuration setting or a bug. Until fairly recently, I had very old drives in my 231P. The drives should NEVER power up and cycle without being control and tied to the full unit booting.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
VisualDigits
First post

Post by VisualDigits »

No luck with a TS-233 either. I recently afforded one with two WD-Red harddisks in it and it shows the same odd behaviour.
Okay in the meantime I have Mediastation and Plex running (reason for the purchase).
Firmware is the latest. When shutting down via the ui it states to stop all running apps and processes then goes down, beeps and then reboots.
Of course doing a forced shutdown from the ssh shell does not help (same as just pulling the plug - you end up with unclean filesystem)...

Return to “Miscellaneous”