TS-653A Lagging a lot since last update

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Bixby
Getting the hang of things

TS-653A Lagging a lot since last update

Post by Bixby »

Last week I was prompted to update the O/S on my TS-653A which I did. Now everything I do on the NAS is lagging hugely. Videos, even playing music occasionally shops and lags. What do I do about this?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-653A Lagging a lot since last update

Post by dolbyman »

anything bogging the CPU down?
Bixby

Post by Bixby »

No. As I said everything is the same except for the OS version.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

What are the system load averages when it's running slow?

You can see these if you first SSH into your NAS, then run:

Code: Select all

uptime

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bixby

Post by Bixby »

I'll do that, but is there a way to see this using one of the adds/functions when I log into the NAS using my PC?
Bixby

Post by Bixby »

[~] # uptime
17:52:38 up 25 min, load average: 3.59, 4.98, 4.66
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Bixby wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:53 am [~] # uptime
17:52:38 up 25 min, load average: 3.59, 4.98, 4.66
So, not too bad for your quad-core Celeron, but could be better. Was your NAS running slow when you generated those numbers?

What processes are using your CPU time? You can check this in the QTS UI, or via SSH with the 'top' command:

Code: Select all

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Bixby wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:10 pm Last week I was prompted to update the O/S on my TS-653A which I did. Now everything I do on the NAS is lagging hugely. Videos, even playing music occasionally shops and lags. What do I do about this?
usually when i have that sort of slowness when accessing media, it's usually because i have a scheduled raid scrub running in the background. this is normal and as expected. but if thats not what is causing your issue, then we have to go down the list to narrow it down.

the first thing i would check is run a local speed test between your qnap and your desktop pc. are you getting 1gbe speeds?
https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/499

and check in qts for resource monitor. anything odd with cpu and ram usage?

test the hard drives. smart long. any issues reported? by any chance are they dying? Or is your raid perhaps degraded because a drive dropped out? these are possible scenarios.

is your nas perhaps exposed online? and a malware infected your nas?

are you perhaps running many apps on the qnap e.g. docker, qpkgs etc? are you running more than your ram can handle perhaps? usually you know when you don't have enuff ram, when qts starts giving you prompts about ram dumping onto your hard drive to try to cope

but based on what you're saying, these issues did not occur until after you updated your nas firmware? what build were u using before this? and what build are you using now when this issue started?

if you truly suspect it's a firmware issue, you can try downgrading, or perhaps try truenas instead. posted a guide here :D
viewtopic.php?f=191&t=161170&
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Bixby

Post by Bixby »

I don't understand why but I ran my NAS last night and it was running fine again. Thank you all for your help.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Bixby wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:43 pm I don't understand why but I ran my NAS last night and it was running fine again. Thank you all for your help.
not sure about u, but mine had slowness as well. so what i did was, i went to QTS checked if there was anything running in the background, and sure enough i had a scheduled raid scrub actively running. whenever raid scrub happens, your NAS will be super slow (you could still use it, but i tend not to unless it's just read ops like watching a movie, while that is running)

if i had to guess i think maybe that was what happened? but u didn't check your qts so u didn't realize. or it could be something else :D but i think my guess is more likely, becauz ur saying everything is ok now. a solution to raid scrubs for raid, is to set them for once a month, and run only during sleep hours so it will least likely affect u, as by the time ur awake, it probly would have already been completed by then.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Bixby

Post by Bixby »

So I just got a message that one of my drives has failed. My problem seems to have been that impending drive failure. Now I just have to figure out how to fix it. I have looked for videos on this topic on YouTube but all the ones I have seen have old versions of the software with menu choices that are not even present now. Do I just remove the drive and put in a new replacement?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

pull the drive hot and replace it..a basic NAS procedure
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Bixby wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:59 am So I just got a message that one of my drives has failed. My problem seems to have been that impending drive failure. Now I just have to figure out how to fix it. I have looked for videos on this topic on YouTube but all the ones I have seen have old versions of the software with menu choices that are not even present now. Do I just remove the drive and put in a new replacement?
yes thats another possibility. if u have a dying drive and it got ejected out of your raid5 (making assumptions since u did not elaborate on ur setup), when this happens ur nas becomes degraded mode, so yes everything will be super slow. the only way then to restore it back to peak performance is to remove the affected drive, then the raid5 will rebuild and once that is done everything should be back to normal.

you should of course have backups prior to doing this, just in case :'

but usually if u remove the affected dying drive (in raid5 u can safely pull out 1 drive), and replace, and it rebuilds successfully, then u dont have to do anything further. but rebuilds are no guarantee, and who knows if an accident would happen during this critical time, hence why you need a backup of your data just in case anything goes awry (while trying to replace the dying hard drive)
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

there some videos online showing how to replace dying hard drives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUSaAQiTXng
NAS

Network

Resources
Bixby

Post by Bixby »

My discs are actually JBOD. Can I still just replace the drive and "let it rip"?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you use a spanning jbod, your storage will be bust if you pull a drive..so you will need to restore all data from backups when a drive is replaced or breaks..the joys of not using RAID

Return to “Miscellaneous”