Auto-upload files in folder structure based on date?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
EazyR
New here

Auto-upload files in folder structure based on date?

Post by EazyR »

Hello, i hope this is the right sub-forum to ask this question.

When I upload my pictures from my mobile phone to QNAP media folder I see no way of configuring to which folder I can upload my pictures. I am searching for a way to directly upload pictures based on the date in a substructure, e.g. pics taken in May 2022 should be stored/moved in "2022-05" folder.

After some research I learned that the tool combination "Qfiling" and "Qsirch" would enable me to do that. Unfortunately Qsirch does not start on my QNAP (only 1 GB). Is there an alternative (app or script) that can be used to automate this process to move a file from a source to folder to the target folder that is based on a date pattern?

Or is there an alternative mobile app that has this feature?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Auto-upload files in folder structure based on date?

Post by dolbyman »

Side advice..make sure the mobile upload is only running via LAN (or VPN) ..public exposure has cost millions of bucks in ransom payments
EazyR
New here

Post by EazyR »

Yes, I only used the mobile app at home.

Considering the automation of structuring and moving files, I believe meanwhile the only way to do this (on the NAS) is via script since QFiling/QSirch is not an option for me. I probably underestimated the cost or benefit or need for this feature. I will continue moving the files manually from the auto-upload folder to the destination folder after each upload.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

A workaround could be in writing a shell script und run it periodically by cron.
Depends, if name of pics/files (or date created) can be automatically identified.
Then is should be possible to sort and move the files.

But as a QNAP app...?

Regards
EazyR
New here

Post by EazyR »

Thanks, yes I will try that. I don't have a clue yet but I will try to find information about it and how to run it. Alternatively I will install an app on a Linux VM with access to that SMB share to that folder. May be a bit too much resources for this action but could be quicker than learning how to write a script that works in a way that I want it to work.

Return to “Miscellaneous”