TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
P3R
Guru

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by P3R »

reedbrandvold wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:38 am
reedbrandvold wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:41 am my TVS-672N died last night after I tried a reboot, it powered down but not back up. Purchased October 27, 2019 so it'll be out of warranty. Opened a ticket this AM, listed my trouble shooting steps, but like we all know, its the motherboard. Anyone out of warranty have a strategy to get them to replace under warranty or get snap to extend the warranty?
after reading more posts the warranty has been extended to 3 years? if so I just squeaked in at 2 y 11m thank god. well hopefully I can get it fixed
As far as I know no official warranty extension exist. It's some kind of case by case lottery so some get the extension while others don't. Maybe they offered it for a while and now they don't any more? Nobody outside Qnap know and those on the inside apparently don't want to explain it to you. There have been plenty of time for Qnap to decide on an official policy and announce that on their web or at least to come here and explain how this is handled.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope that your support representative is in a good mood. If it's turned down I would ask them why they treat you worse than other customers and refer them to this thread where there are multiple reports of users getting a warranty extension.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
reedbrandvold
New here

Post by reedbrandvold »

P3R wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:59 am
reedbrandvold wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:38 am
reedbrandvold wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:41 am my TVS-672N died last night after I tried a reboot, it powered down but not back up. Purchased October 27, 2019 so it'll be out of warranty. Opened a ticket this AM, listed my trouble shooting steps, but like we all know, its the motherboard. Anyone out of warranty have a strategy to get them to replace under warranty or get snap to extend the warranty?
after reading more posts the warranty has been extended to 3 years? if so I just squeaked in at 2 y 11m thank god. well hopefully I can get it fixed
As far as I know no official warranty extension exist. It's some kind of case by case lottery so some get the extension while others don't. Maybe they offered it for a while and now they don't any more? Nobody outside Qnap know and those on the inside apparently don't want to explain it to you. There have been plenty of time for Qnap to decide on an official policy and announce that on their web or at least to come here and explain how this is handled.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope that your support representative is in a good mood. If it's turned down I would ask them why they treat you worse than other customers and refer them to this thread where there are multiple reports of users getting a warranty extension.
Thanks, I appreciate the comment. fingers crossed.
reedbrandvold
New here

Post by reedbrandvold »

FYI today I send my TVS-672N back under RMA !! :)
monoeilouais
Starting out

Post by monoeilouais »

Hello
My TVS-672XT failed on September 13th. Bought on December 19.
Ticket opened
Back to QNAP via UPS, shipping paid myself.
10 days after, I received a brand new unit.
Data and every apps recovered !
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

monoeilouais wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:43 pm Hello
My TVS-672XT failed on September 13th. Bought on December 19.
Ticket opened
Back to QNAP via UPS, shipping paid myself.
10 days after, I received a brand new unit.
Data and every apps recovered !
Yes everyone know the drill for units within warranty by now as it's been repeated many times in the thread.

The important thing to know (for those that have had their claims turned down) is if your unit was still covered while outside of the 2-year warranty or not, which is impossible for everyone else here to tell with only dates but no years reported...
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

johnfooten wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:11 am If you want to add me to the spreadsheet, mine was a TVS-872XT.
I would push to talk to that guys supervisor (the supervisor grande... :lol: ). Just the fact they knew what it was before even looking at your unit means they should have fixed it without question. Keep pushing as sometimes QNAP takes persistence. I had a 877 unit that would randomly lose it's WAN IP in software, killing my internet, and suffered through that for nearly a year of horrible tech support. Every few days I would have to pull the LAN cable and plug it back in to get it back on the internet..., what a PITA! They saw I wasn't going away any time soon and eventually sent me a brand new 872XT since the 877 was old by the time they finally came around. Ironically, the 872XT then turned into another fun one... But after only 2-3 emails they kindly replaced my board as well.

So keep pushing and even ask to discuss this thread with them.
Model: TVS-872XT 64GB (Crucial 64GB Kit CT2K32G4SFD8266)
2 x 1TB XPG 1TB NVMe (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C) [RAID-1]
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
Borg Backup running to an offisite pi, AND to the local TS-569L
Model: TS-569L Borg server for backups
6 x 8TB Ironwolf [RAID-5]
Qotom-Q355G4 Fanless Mini Micro PC running pSense in front of everything
haproxy for anything inside the LAN
johnfooten
New here

Post by johnfooten »

"So keep pushing and even ask to discuss this thread with them."

So I did. I asked for them to at least offer a discount on a new unit. So I was referred to sales. I also posted a review on Amazon specifically mentioning this manufacturing failure and the lack of consistent support it was an honest review for this unit.

The next day I got an email from support saying that my warranty would be extended a year. And sales had authorized it.

So I applied for a refund on the service charge and thanked them. The next day I got an email from sales apologizing for the confusion and reiterating that the warranty will be extended and I'll be refunded. They also asked me to update my review on Amazon. Which I will when I get my money actually back.

I guess the lesson is never give up when you are definitely in the right. I think a fair thing for qnap to do here is:

1) proactively email all registered users who could be affected.

2) recall any units in stock somewhere out there and fix them before they go to customers. Mine was bought well after this thread started. The issue was already known.

3) offer existing users a free proactive repair of they send the unit in.

4) announce an extension of warranty to 3 years is the policy for the affected units for those who don't want to send them in.

5) educate all staff on the policy.

That's pretty much it. I worked in tech companies. That's what we would have done with this kind of defect.

Regardless, I guess I reiterate the idea that you should refer them to this thread and ask them to get sales involved.

I will update this thread (and my review on Amazon) after I get the unit back and tested.
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

Really nice story! Another things is: even though you are SUPER frustrated, be nice! This always goes a long way.

Agree with all points of a recall and training on this known issue. But, that's just not going to happen with them, so this is how we work around it.

-Q
Model: TVS-872XT 64GB (Crucial 64GB Kit CT2K32G4SFD8266)
2 x 1TB XPG 1TB NVMe (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C) [RAID-1]
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
Borg Backup running to an offisite pi, AND to the local TS-569L
Model: TS-569L Borg server for backups
6 x 8TB Ironwolf [RAID-5]
Qotom-Q355G4 Fanless Mini Micro PC running pSense in front of everything
haproxy for anything inside the LAN
kmozart
Starting out

Post by kmozart »

After reboot for a firmware update, my TVS-872XT won't turn up. Removed HD's, removed M2 sticks, PCIe cards, tried to start, nothing. Only red light on the motherboard. Motherboard V1.3, Ser #Q204I18004

Purchased on Amazon, Jun 2020. Hope is still under (extended) Warranty!

I'm using this unit it in a professional audio recording studio with sessions booked every day, not for fun. Any recommendation how can I get fixed/replaced super_fast? Did not know that this is a problematic unit up until now.

Thank You!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Super fast = Buy a migration compatible new NAS

Via QNAP RMA = read this topic
kmozart
Starting out

Post by kmozart »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:52 pm Super fast = Buy a migration compatible new NAS

Via QNAP RMA = read this topic
Which one will be the one migration compatible?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/nas-migration

make sure that ALL drives fit in the new device (including M2)
kmozart
Starting out

Post by kmozart »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:38 am https://www.qnap.com/en-us/nas-migration

make sure that ALL drives fit in the new device (including M2)
Huh! I even don't know even what operating system mine has. I had the latest firmware before the last one.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Doesn't matter as long as the new NAS is updated to a newer version first
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

kmozart wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:47 pm After reboot for a firmware update, my TVS-872XT won't turn up. Removed HD's, removed M2 sticks, PCIe cards, tried to start, nothing. Only red light on the motherboard. Motherboard V1.3, Ser #Q204I18004

Purchased on Amazon, Jun 2020. Hope is still under (extended) Warranty!

I'm using this unit it in a professional audio recording studio with sessions booked every day, not for fun. Any recommendation how can I get fixed/replaced super_fast? Did not know that this is a problematic unit up until now.

Thank You!
Spreadsheet updated

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet

Location Update Spreadsheet

Return to “Miscellaneous”