Failure and recovery question

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Idlewizard
Know my way around

Failure and recovery question

Post by Idlewizard »

I recently had significant damage caused to my home network by a lightning strike. That included killing my TS-569L NAS. I am not too upset about it, because it was in the process of being decommissioned already, but assuming the drives are ok I would like to take another look at what data is left there. Since I don't actually want the old discontinued NAS, I don't really want to buy any hardware to fix or replace it. I don't even know what to buy. We can start with a power supply, but it appears the lightning strike propagated through ethernet. I also have a few switches with blown ports.

I have a TS-873 and that is in use. Surprisingly, but fortunately, it was not damaged. I could take the drives in it out and put in the drives from the TS-569L in temporarily. That is a supported upgrade path, but for me it would be temporary. I just wonder if anyone knows what that experience will be like, especially going back to the original drives of the TS-873 afterwards, which I would want to do. Is all that just going to work and automagically change personalities, or am I setting myself up for a ton of trouble?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Failure and recovery question

Post by dolbyman »

Migration can be done ..move all drives over to the other NAS (do not leave any drives in the old one)

to reverse it ....just undo the swap

as the OS is on the drives, no changes are done to the NAS

be aware though that shorted drives could also kill your new NAS

Return to “Miscellaneous”