TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
baballega
First post

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by baballega »

I wish I found this thread before I bought this unit. I use this NAS for video production and animation.

Unfortunately my TVS-872xt died yesterday with, you guessed it, all the same issues as described here. No life out of the unit aside from a red light on the motherboard and the ethernet activity lights when power is connected and hooked up to my computer. I created a ticket with QNAP but tech support seems pretty relaxed for such a catastrophic problem with these units. Guy on the phone told me it'll take a month to get an RMA unit returned to me which seems unacceptable. I do have the data backed up on other drives, but none of them are suitable for the type of work that I do. I'm appalled.

I purchased Sept 2020 from Amazon with a Q199 serial number. This will be my first and last QNAP purchase.
Lumioni
Starting out

Post by Lumioni »

I've now got a dead TVS-472XT box. Has a v1.3 motherboard

Well out of warranty put will raise a ticket just in case!
TVS-472XT with 4 x 2Tb WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0
Firmware: QTS Build - latest version

TAS-168 with 1 x 4Tb WD
Nick1097
First post

Post by Nick1097 »

Mine can be added to the list now too... TVS-872XT, 6 months out of warranty... Won't turn on after a proper shutdown. Opening a ticket...
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Location Update Spreadsheet
Thelosen
Starting out

Post by Thelosen »

I have added an extra fan to my TVS-872XT to cool down the chip that died in my unit. I hope that this will cool down the chip enough so I can use the NAS longer.

After a few minutes of light use the chip already reached 59 degrees Celsius. (138 degrees Fahrenheit). That should be ok, but after one failure I am extra cautious.
Heatsink chip.jpg
The SSD heatsinks are warming up also, but not so much as the chip on the mainboard.
Heatsink SSD.jpg
I designed a bracket for a small Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM fan.
Fan bracket.jpg
I placed this fan into the NAS and connected it with the provided Y-cable to the back fan.
Bracket installed.jpg
The blue cable is a temperature sensor that I have used to check if the fan brought down the temperature of the chip. It took the temperature down by 10 degrees Celsius to 49 degrees Celsius. (120 degrees Fahrenheit.) The extra fan is not adding noise to the system because it is running very slow. But it is controlled by the PWM signal and should speed up when the NAS heats up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

Thelosen wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:26 pm I have added an extra fan to my TVS-872XT to cool down the chip that died in my unit. I hope that this will cool down the chip enough so I can use the NAS longer.
The chipset temperature is not the issue, the design and manufacturing is the issue.

The additional fan could actually make things worse. You will be creating a small vacuum vortex between the two fans which means the smaller fan could end up moving less air over the heatsink.

These system are designed for a certain type of airflow movement. The large rear exhaust fans will already pull air over the chipset heatsink to keep the heatsink, as long as the chipset is under 85c, there is nothing to worry about.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
Lumioni
Starting out

Post by Lumioni »

Update to my situation with dead TVS-472XT

Even with Extended warranty my warranty ran out on 23rd October 2022 - did try and get it repaired under RMA but QNAP said no, they quoted $450 to replace motherboard but could buy a cheaper NAS box for that.

Then to top it all off my backup NAS box (TAS-168) raid config went offline this week and having trouble getting it remounted, jut been told it was out of warranty end of October too so not going to support!

Looks like I'll be buying a Synology or other NAS box instead!
TVS-472XT with 4 x 2Tb WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0

TAS-168 with 1 x 4Tb WD
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

Lumioni wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:58 pm Looks like I'll be buying a Synology or other NAS box instead!
Just get a NAS case, find a used Supermicro Xeon D board, add some EEC RAM and install TrueNAS Scale.
Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet

Location Update Spreadsheet
farman
New here

Post by farman »

My TVS-872XT died today with the same lack of power and red light from the motherboard (v1.3). Purchased in December 2019 so will see what QNAP says.
stephenhouser
New here

Post by stephenhouser »

Looks to be a +1 for me.

TVS-672XT, Serial # starts with Q20.

Purchased in Aug 2020, was up and running until last night when I rebooted "because it had been on for 120 days" and seemed to be running a little slow.

:-(
NLIVADAS
New here

Post by NLIVADAS »

Received unit back today from QNAP.
Put drives and RAM in.
Unit booted when power cable was plugged in.
Screen says "SYSTEM BOOTING"
Nothing happened for over 10 minutes.
Blank screen.
Turned off with power button.
Checked connections of drives and memory.
Unplugged and plugged back in.
Unit tries to boot whenever cable is plugged in.
Shuts off with power button but does not boot or give error messages.
Does not turn on with power button.
Green light and LAN lights light up.
No fan spin and no boot.
The bad mobo I sent was v1.3 and this mobo I got back is v1.1.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Does it boot without drives ? (into setup)

If not then .. not sure what they did, maybe they mixed up your return with another defective unit ?
NLIVADAS
New here

Post by NLIVADAS »

It also does not boot without drives.
I have no idea what is going on here.
My serial numbers matched what I sent them so I'm pretty sure they put a crap mobo back in it.
I updated my ticket with everything I said above.
Minor gripe: The 2 button screw thingies that hold down the M.2 SSDs were missing.
kpro
New here

Post by kpro »

TVS-672N purchased July 2020.

Restarted to apply an update, and dead. Googled the issue and was shocked to see how common the issue is. NAS exhibits same behaviour as every other QNAP here - won't turn on, red light on mobo, ethernet activity if plugged in.

Previous QNAP lasted 8 years and was still alive when I decommissioned it - TS-459 Pro II. Guess they really don't make them like they used to.
tribunal3117

Post by tribunal3117 »

I was really excited about getting a tvs-872x to replace my old ts-851 which has been running without issue for 9 years. Then I found this thread. Yikes! Should I be looking at a different model? Suggestions?

I plan to run an 8x4TB RAID5 with 1 hot spare, an M.2 1TB cache, and 64GB or memory. I use it to share files between PCs in an Active Directory domain, videos over a wired network using NFS, and also as an iSCSI backend for my ESXi server. No native video processing. I run CrashPlan Pro out of a container to backup files, but that's the most taxing local software I run.

Thanks!

Return to “Miscellaneous”