TS-451 Plus Issues

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
OolongGoat
New here

TS-451 Plus Issues

Post by OolongGoat »

All,

I have had my QNAP TS-451+ for quite a while now. The past few months have been quite interesting with it. With each subsequent update, it is as though my NAS gets slower and slower. I primarily use my NAS as a Plex Server and file storage.

I often cannot connect to the box via windows explorer as it throws and error about unable to connect/find the device but then after a couple of minutes it will show my shares as normal. During FTP sessions the connection will frequently disconnect and at times makes any sort of transfer impossible.

When trying to transfer files from my desktop to the NAS (up and down) it doesn't use half of the bandwidth I have. My LAN is running on 1Gbps and the connection to and from the NAS appears to top out at 35MBps. This wasn't an issue when I first got the NAS up and running.

I am also having issues with installing applications to the NAS. I had been using Qbittorrent for some time. The last few updates to it have broken the software and now I cannot even install Qbittorent anymore. I think I got a bad file or something because one day I logged into the Web GUI and all my torrents were gone except for one random one I didn't recognize. All the data was still accounted for but not showing in the Web GUI.

Ever since then I have really noticed the performance of my NAS going downhill.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: TS-451 Plus Issues

Post by FSC830 »

Unfortunately QNAP proves very often in the past years, that firmware updates are decreasing response times in GUI and access. :cry:
This is clearly seen at older Cat1 devices. At Cat2 devices (as yours) sometimes it happens too.

Best way to resolve (IMHO):
Backup all your data (you should always have backups!).
Backup NAS app settings
Note and write down NAS settings. I would backup these settings too, but I would not recover them using this file to avoid any misconfigurations from previous setup.

Start from scratch!
Remove all partitions at disks (USB dock to PC).
Plug in all disks in NAS and start first time installation.
Recover settings and data each after each, check access and response time after each step.
Network speed varies, that is usual. It depends to file size and access pattern.
Copying a large number of small files is slow, whereas copying i.e. large video files should be reach the max. speed > 100Mb/s.

Regards
OolongGoat
New here

Post by OolongGoat »

Yeah I think starting from scratch would be a good thing.

I have contemplated getting one of those expansions devices that I can connect to the NAS via USB for backup purposes. 18TB of data is the most I have ever had so far. But if QNAP is known to do this to their devices, it was probably wise I didn't get their expansion device.

I have several smaller drives that I can move my data over to while I reset the NAS.

I have quite the anime collection and I finally got Plex and some plugins to work properly that will scan and catalog the media properly. I sort of set it up and forgot about it because it was working. That might be the biggest pain to get back lol.

Thank you for your insights. I haven't done a reset on this device once since owning it. So, it might be due. It's been about 5 years or so.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you can backup the whole plex program folder via something like winscp

I did it when I moved from 951x to 1288x ..worked like a charm
OolongGoat
New here

Post by OolongGoat »

I appreciate your help.

Question, why would my NAS be limiting the upload speed to that of my ISP instead of my local LAN speed when it is on my LAN??

I am using Filezilla FTP to transfer files to my USB drive dock and it appears to be capping at 45MBps.... my internet upload speed?? I don't recall this happening before. It is a USB 3.0 dock on a USB 3.2 capable port.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Should have nothing to do with the internet...but I nevertheless hope the NAS is not web exposed
OolongGoat
New here

Post by OolongGoat »

I don't think it is.... I would hope not either...... how would I check that?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Are ports forwarded or upnp active ?(both on router)
OolongGoat
New here

Post by OolongGoat »

I only forward ports for certain games that have weird connectivity issues.

I do have upnp on, it is on by default on my router.

It is the weirdest thing. I do not see anything that would suggest a hard cap of 40 MB/s

Nothing on the QuFTP or NAS that I can find shows any sort of limit. Unless Filezilla is doing something. I don't recall it doing this behavior before. Maybe when I reset it after moving my data it will correct itself.
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

I would turn off upnp on your router https://www.upguard.com/blog/what-is-upnp
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

OolongGoat wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:07 pm ...
Question, why would my NAS be limiting the upload speed to that of my ISP instead of my local LAN speed when it is on my LAN??

I am using Filezilla FTP to transfer files to my USB drive dock and it appears to be capping at 45MBps.... my internet upload speed?? I don't recall this happening before. It is a USB 3.0 dock on a USB 3.2 capable port.
You are not accessing by using a "myqnapcloud name"? Are you using the (LAN) IP of NAS?
You can test the possible speed by
1. unplugging router from internet
2. direct attaching NAS and computer (if IP is delivered by DHCP you need to configure a static IP at each device, i.e. 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0).
No crossover LAN cable is needed, a usual patch cable will work.

Copying files in both scenarios should provide an idea of the transer speed, its all internal in your LAN.

Regards
OolongGoat
New here

Post by OolongGoat »

I thank you all for your suggestions. It appears I have a faulty USB 3.0 header on my motherboard. The transfers started to fail and get errors about device not found. Device manager showed a USB Device Descriptor Error with a Yellow Exclamation mark. Ended up being the two ports plugged into the USB 3.0 header on the motherboard. Moved to a different port and all is well.
OolongGoat
New here

Post by OolongGoat »

Now that I have my data moved off onto a variety of other drives for the time being, do I do a full factory reset on my NAS? Or do I need to pull the drives out, format them individually and then reinitialize them on the NAS? I am currently using a RAID-5 with 4x 8TB Seagate Drives, they are all the same model.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

shut the NAS down, take the drives out clean them of all partitions and then start the NAS with the empty drives .. initial setup will appear
OolongGoat
New here

Post by OolongGoat »

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your assistance, everyone. I got it up and running again. I originally couldn't move my Plex folder back over due to a permissions issue. I had to log into the NAS with the default admin account and not the one I created. Once I reenabled the default admin account I was able to move my Plex folder back over.

The NAS overall seems to be more responsive and working as I remembered it being when it was new. I guess it does help to reset it every now and then.

Return to “Miscellaneous”