[Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Granionas
New here

[Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet

Post by Granionas »

I keep constantly getting
"[Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet. System default gateway "Virtual Switch 3" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI."
How can I fix this? This impacts my file copying to/from PC and NAS.
QTS version: 4.5.1.1465
C1chy
New here

Re: [Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet

Post by C1chy »

Same here on my TS-251A after last QTS update (4.5.1.1480) I see the same error everyday after resuming from sleep.

Code: Select all

Information	2020-11-14	07:00:24	---	127.0.0.1	---	---	[S3] System resumed.
Information	2020-11-14	07:01:22	admin	127.0.0.1	Network & Virtual Switch	Infrastructure	[Network & Virtual Switch] Set "Virtual Switch 3" as system default gateway. "Virtual Switch 3" connected to the internet after checking NCSI.
Warning		2020-11-14	07:01:07	admin	127.0.0.1	Network & Virtual Switch	Infrastructure	[Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet. System default gateway "Virtual Switch 3" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI.
Information	2020-11-14	07:00:38	admin	127.0.0.1	Network & Virtual Switch	Infrastructure	[Network & Virtual Switch] Set "Virtual Switch 3" as system default gateway. "Virtual Switch 3" connected to the internet after checking NCSI.
Warning		2020-11-14	07:00:28	admin	127.0.0.1	Network & Virtual Switch	Infrastructure	[Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet. System default gateway "Virtual Switch 3" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI.
QNAP TS-251A [4GB] 2x 2TB WD RED (RAID1)
JB48-x
New here

Post by JB48-x »

I'm getting the same on my 251B
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Go to Network & Virtual Switch > Interfaces > click 'System Default Gateway' button.

1. To get rid of the notifications, check the box 'Disable the NCSI' (highlighted by the green box in the following screenshot).
2. I don't understand why the loss of Internet connectivity would affect operations on the LAN (the OP mentioned this impacted file copies between PC and NAS), but if you're still having issues after #1, select the system default gateway manually (highlighted by the blue box in the following screenshot) and select the interface that is connected to your Internet router.
sysdefgateway.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JB48-x
New here

Post by JB48-x »

Thanks but why is NCSI reporting these errors.
One thing I find odd is that network & virtual switch shows Primary DNS server : 192.168.1.1
but my DNS is actually 192.168.2.1
How can I change this?
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

JB48-x wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:39 am Thanks but why is NCSI reporting these errors.
Because that's its job. It constantly (not continuously, but at regular time intervals) checks if it can reach a well-known QNAP host outside your LAN via the Internet. If that fails, it triggers a reconfiguration of the network on the NAS and a notification.

There can be multiple causes. There may be a temporary outage somewhere on the Internet which makes the QNAP host momentarily unreachable, which you don't normally notice yourself. There may be a bug in the QNAP software that makes the NCSI check Internet connectivity before the network interfaces have been re-enabled after resuming from sleep. There may be something else, who knows.
One thing I find odd is that network & virtual switch shows Primary DNS server : 192.168.1.1
but my DNS is actually 192.168.2.1
How can I change this?
In the adapter configuration. RTFM: Configuring DNS Settings.
JB48-x
New here

Post by JB48-x »

Thanks for that link, IHRTFM but I hadn't realised that when the manual said adapter if meant virtual switch.
The only configuration option I had for Adapter was Jumbo Frame.
Now I've configured the Virtual switch and it has the correct DNS.
Wattson
Starting out

Post by Wattson »

My "Disable the NCSI (Network Connectivity Status Indicator) service" checkbox is checked, yet I still get this email multiple times per day. Any idea how to actually disable the check?

I run pihole in a container, that's the only service that needs external connectivity, otherwise I restrict access to the internet from the nas.

NAS Name: xxx
Severity: Warning
Date/Time: 2021/07/23 13:54:35

App Name: Network & Virtual Switch
Category: Infrastructure
Message: [Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet. System default gateway "Virtual Switch 3" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deejinoz
Starting out

Post by deejinoz »

I have had it confirmed, today, that QNAP are aware of a bug in the NCSI service whereby repeated errors are thrown, with words to the effect of:

App Name: Network & Virtual Switch
Category: Infrastructure
Message: [Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet. System default gateway "Adapter n" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI.

Sadly, not only do they appear to not be giving this bug any priority to fix (earliest reports I have been able to find are from 2018) but they seem to be confusing this bug with another bug, whereby selecting the "Disable the NCSI (Network Connectivity Status Indicator) service" fails to disable the service.

I have attempted to make them aware of the fact that they are dealing with two seperate bugs in the same service. Let's hope they are able to fix at least one of them soon.
gup133
Starting out

Post by gup133 »

Same issue, waiting for a fix....
tvukoman
First post

Post by tvukoman »

same problem...
openhabgs
First post

Post by openhabgs »

same issue...
Bentie
First post

Post by Bentie »

Thought I'd keep this thread alive. Like everyone else, I suffer the same (regular) failure. Event Log extract below shows regular, constant connection failure.

Appliance: TS-653D
Operating System: QTS 5.0.1.2194 (2022/10/22)
HDD Manufacturer: WDC
HDD Model: WD40EFRX-68N32N0
HDDs Installed: 6
Empty Bays: 0

QuLog Center
Event Log
Warning 2022-11-29 13:32:45 --- --- localhost Network & Virtual Switch Infrastructure [Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet. System default gateway "Adapter 1" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI.
Warning 2022-11-23 00:16:17 --- --- localhost Network & Virtual Switch Infrastructure [Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet. System default gateway "Adapter 1" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI.
Warning 2022-11-20 17:10:51 --- --- localhost Network & Virtual Switch Infrastructure [Network & Virtual Switch] Failed to connect to the internet. System default gateway "Adapter 1" and all adapters failed to connect to the internet after checking NCSI.
viscontigiorgio
New here

Post by viscontigiorgio »

I have the same issue
I do not remember exactly the first time it appens but was more then an year ago
waiting for a fix

Return to “Miscellaneous”