Completely reset my TS-451

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Completely reset my TS-451

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

adetogni wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:04 pm Hey Moogle, I don't have a desktop and I will have to buy a sata/usb connector just for this specific task (it does not cost much, just it will be just a waste after a few minutes so I would like to avoid if possible to buy one-trick-ponies :-) ).

Would it be possible to use the NAS to reformat the drives? If I insert just one drive at a time, it should not identify it as RAID and I should be able to reformat. What do you think?

thanks
well when i format within qnap. and later i pull and check on desktop, those old partitions remained. this is why for clean install i would format from desktop so i know it's all gone. maybe is not necessary but thats what i do whenever i want to be thorough.

if not, i just format direct from the qnap :mrgreen:

i also have a usb docker for the 3.5'''hard drive, so i can slot that in, plug in via usb to desktop pc, then wipe partitions format that way. that's much easier than opening up my desktop pc case to add the drive.

for updating m.2 nvme ssds, the only choice is to directly connect to my desktop pc to do that. external usb is unsupported :(

but if all you are doing is format/wiping partitions, external usb docker works :D

How to Delete Partition in Windows 11 Very Easily
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYXXMTx9Jx4
https://youtu.be/KsYC4JOQAuw?t=78

so no special software required, just default windows 11 os can do it. i do have an aomei professional license (so i used that) though it pretty much can do the same thing :)

for ssds is a bit different
Like other types of flash memory, you can only write to an SSD so many times, which presents an issue if you want to wipe the solid-state drive clean. Using a regular tool can damage the SSD, reducing its lifespan.

So, how do you securely erase an SSD without damaging the drive?

How to Securely Erase an SSD
Right now, you're probably thinking, "How do I securely wipe my SSD, then?" Thankfully, it is still possible to securely wipe your SSD using software and without damaging the drive. The difference is that instead of securely wiping all data from the drive, an SSD "resets" to a clean memory state (not factory state, which implies there is no drive wear!).

The "ATA Secure Erase" command instructs the drive to flush all stored electrons, a process that forces the drive to "forget" all stored data. The command resets all available blocks to the "erase" state (which is also the state the TRIM command uses for file deletion and block recycling purposes).

Importantly, the ATA Secure Erase command does not write anything to the SSD, unlike a traditional secure wipe tool. Instead, the command causes the SSD to apply a voltage spike to all available flash memory blocks in unison. The process resets every available block of space in a single operation, and the SSD is "clean."

Using the ATA Secure Erase command does use a whole program-erase cycle for your SSD. So yes, it does cause a small amount of wear, but it is negligible compared to a traditional secure wipe tool.

Secure Erase Your SSD Using a Manufacturer Tool
Most manufacturers supply software to use with their SSD. The software usually includes a firmware update tool, and secure erase tool, and perhaps a drive cloning option. While it's impossible for MakeUseOf to check the software of every manufacturer, you can find a list of tools for the major SSD manufacturers below.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/securely- ... estroying/

within qts, they also have a secure erase. u use that if u want to wipe a ssd clean. or can pull out, install into desktop pc, run the ssd brand app e.g. mines crucial, then use their secure erase within the app :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Miscellaneous”