QNAP TS451D2 NAS Unreachable After A Day

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
hunter31789
New here

QNAP TS451D2 NAS Unreachable After A Day

Post by hunter31789 »

I've had this NAS for around 2 years now and have been very pleased with my experience. We moved houses about a year ago and I was able to get the NAS back up and running with virtually no issues. Our new internet connection (Google Fiber) came with a Google gigabit router. The Google router only has 2 RJ45 ports, one of which was used for the connection to the fiber modem. I have 2 devices which require hardwired connections (one is this NAS) so I initially used our old spare router to act as a switch so that I could connect both devices without having to buy new equipment. This worked perfectly with the exception that i had to change wifi networks to log into the NAS. No big deal, but I finally got tired of this and decided to consolidate my WIFI into a single network by replacing the old spare router with a gigabit switch. This is where my trouble started and where my question is.

So when I plug my devices into the switch everything works. I can log into the NAS with no issues and everything is great. After about a day, the IP address login stops working for the NAS however, Plex continues to work to stream content from the NAS so it is still definitely online. I check for the IP address in the Google router and it still shows the same IP and that the NAS is online. However no matter what I do the IP address doesn't load the login screen for the NAS, it just times out and says "the site cant be reached". When I go unplug the NAS RJ45 connection and plug it back in after a second or so, it all works again for about a day. I have basically gotten into the habit of unplugging the RJ45 daily and plugging it into the "other" port on the NAS which always works for about a day. So I simply bounce back and forth between the two IP addresses depending on which port the CAT5 is plugged into and all is well. I have tried messing with a different settings but to no avail. I even plugged in one CAT5 to each port and to the switch at the same time just to see what would happen and everything worked and I was able to access the NAS from both IP addresses but after a day, both went down as unreachable.

I would really appreciate any help!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TS451D2 NAS Unreachable After A Day

Post by dolbyman »

There is plenty of threads about issues with google wifi. Unclear what they do on these that makes it difficult for NAS users.

Maybe ask Santa for a new WiFi system
hunter31789
New here

Post by hunter31789 »

I don't see that anyone has had a similar issue, just issues with getting the NAS to work at all. Can you help me out with a link or a suggestion?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

hunter31789
New here

Post by hunter31789 »

Thank you! I'm going to try some of those ideas to see if they work. Might move my switch to before the Google router and see what happens
hunter31789
New here

Post by hunter31789 »

So it appears the issue has been resolved. I'm not 100% sure what happened but I was having issues with Google Messages not linking to my laptop (also the computer I use to log onto my NAS 99% of the time) so I was forced to clear the cache, cookies, and stored data which reset all of the websites that stay logged in and the settings for login. For whatever reason I believe this cleared some settings for the NAS login pages and for the past week I have been able to log into my NAS successfully without any of the previous page timeout messages. Typically the issue would show up after a few hours of inactivity. I appreciate the suggestions and help I received, and hopefully this helps others who may also have the same issue.
hunter31789
New here

Post by hunter31789 »

Ok so the issue was NOT resolved as it the issue returned soon after it seemed resolved. However, I have been able to finally fix the issue. It turns out my NAS was bound to the original router it was set up on. I was able to set up my network connections with my switch and router as I wanted the final product to be, and then pressed the reset button on the back of the NAS for 3 seconds until it beeped and this reset all of the network settings and allowed everything to work perfectly smoothly. The admin password will be reset to NAS MAC address so be sure to record that as you may need it to log in. Hope this helps anyone with the same issue!

Return to “Miscellaneous”