UPS detected, but after a few days no more..

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
ene
Starting out

Re: UPS detected, but after a few days no more..

Post by ene »

I have the same issue here... TS-453D, APC Back-UPS BX750MI and firmware 5.0.0.1986
The UPS works after NAS restarts, and usually for less then a day...
QNAP told me the UPS is not supported...
I'm not using HBS3 (I had one disconnected NAS in the configuration though)
wjharing
Getting the hang of things

Post by wjharing »

It's a shame QNAP is not making an effort to investigate and try resolving this issue.

The issue is for sure that the USB connection gets 'broken'/lost after ~1 day, and given I don't have this issue when the UPS is connected to my PC, it must be the QNAP that is losing the USB connection, and not the UPS itself.

During that initial day, the UPS is fully recognized and fully functioning with the QNAP, so to simply say it is unsupported, is a bit lame.
Balardo
First post

Post by Balardo »

I had the same problem with a TS-253A (firmware: 5.0.0.2055 Build 20220531) and an APC Back-UPS BX950MI.
After two days it would always show as disconnected, although it was physically connected and the device was still showing up with the lsusb command.

SOLUTION: Connect the UPS to the NAS via a USB hub. I used a cheap 4 port hub with the APC supplied USB cable, and it has been going now for over 8 days without disconnecting. I hope this works for other users as well.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Balardo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:05 am SOLUTION: Connect the UPS to the NAS via a USB hub.
Good to hear! I don't know why I forgot to suggest that. It was a common fix "back in the day" when usb compatibility was more of an issue, and usb was "new".

Often, the use of a much better quality usb cable solves similar issues as it is generally a power / signal loss problem.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
intel
New here

Post by intel »

I've had the same problem with my TS-453D and APC Back-UPS BX750MI.
I've had no disconnects in three weeks, after mounting this USB-extension cable with an on/off-switch, between NAS and UPS: AliExpress
thorn
First post

Post by thorn »

I've made this tiny cronjob to workaround the problem. It simply turns off and on the USB port every night.

1. You must login to your qnap using SSH.
2. sudo -i , press on q, then y
3. type

Code: Select all

lsusb
and find your UPS in there, if you can't find it, then something is wrong with the USB connection between your QNAP to your UPS.
Mine shows:
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion Uninterruptible Power Supply

4. Determine the USB port number the USB is plugged to:
[admin@qnap ~]# grep -i -r "American Power Conversion" /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb?/ 2> /dev/null
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/1-4/manufacturer:American Power Conversion
So its at USB1

cat >>/share/homes/admin/ups_detect.sh <<EOF
#!/bin/bash

echo 0 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/authorized
sleep 10
echo 1 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/authorized
exit $?
EOF
5. Add a nightly cron:

echo "1 1 * * * /share/homes/admin/ups_detect.sh 1>/dev/null 2> /dev/null" >>/etc/config/crontab
There are more elegant ways to deal with this problem, but this is sufficient for me.
pmsrodrigues
Starting out

Post by pmsrodrigues »

Thanks all. Have had the same issue with a PowerWalker VI 850SE from the start. Typical QTS crap. Have become so desensitized to its shoddiness and bugs that I just roll my eyes and move on. The other day decided to google for the issue just to spend some time, and found this thread. Had an old 2 port USB hub laying around and plugged the UPS through it. Seems to be stable now. The script solution would also work, but the crontab resets every time you install an app or reboot.

/Pedro
rikster
Know my way around

Post by rikster »

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks to you all in this thread.

I purchased a good value UPS from Bunnings (Australian hardware store), which is not on the Qnap approved UPS list. The UPS is great, giving me about 40 minutes backup time for my NAS & all my networking gear. However my TS-133 had the common issue of unplugging itself from the UPS on a very regular basis.
After reading this thread, I purchased an el cheapo USB 3.0 hub from Amazon & placed that between the UPS & my TS-133. Bingo! Problem completely solved. The connection is now rock solid between the UPS & the TS-133.

For anyone living in Australia who wants a cheap UPS that works with a QNAP, here are the links:
UPS :https://www.bunnings.com.au/ion-ups-f11 ... r_p0273773
USB Hub : https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09FXDVNXS
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Given Bunnings’ reputation, it’s good to see you found a cheap item that actually works. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Iceman_jkh
Getting the hang of things

Post by Iceman_jkh »

rikster wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:30 am Hi, I just wanted to say thanks to you all in this thread.

I purchased a good value UPS from Bunnings (Australian hardware store), which is not on the Qnap approved UPS list. The UPS is great, giving me about 40 minutes backup time for my NAS & all my networking gear. However my TS-133 had the common issue of unplugging itself from the UPS on a very regular basis.
After reading this thread, I purchased an el cheapo USB 3.0 hub from Amazon & placed that between the UPS & my TS-133. Bingo! Problem completely solved. The connection is now rock solid between the UPS & the TS-133.

For anyone living in Australia who wants a cheap UPS that works with a QNAP, here are the links:
UPS :https://www.bunnings.com.au/ion-ups-f11 ... r_p0273773
USB Hub : https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09FXDVNXS
Thanks for the info. :)

A question for everyone: Is it possible to plug multiple NAS into the one UPS (especially if using that 4-port USB hub) so that the UPS commands all the NAS to gracefully power down on AC power loss? Better yet, can it command each NAS individually (or does the NAS do this part?) allowing slightly different shut down timings?
I have 2 NAS (main and backup) that I wish to data protect, and intend to issue a shutdown if power isn't restored within 5 mins. I'm not aiming to extend operating time or provide mission critical uptime.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Set one up as a master, the rest of the NAS boxes become the slaves.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Miscellaneous”