QNAP TS-410

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
peteypie23
New here

QNAP TS-410

Post by peteypie23 »

Hi,

Just trying to get involved with the whole NAS scene. Bought one of these boxes put two 2 TB drives in as raid 1. Installed latest firmware v 4.26 or something.
Installed apps, set permissions, transferred a couple of videos to test it.

To get the videos to stream it says I need to have: media streaming add-on. This is not in the apps store. Reading up I find out that the built in apps are poor and so most people use plex or suchlike. After searching i find that this is also not available for the this NAS either. It might appear that this is unsupported not and old versions that are obsolete or present security risks are removed. Third party sites don't have them either for this model and firmware.

My question is - does anyone have a current working QNAP-410 with alternative software? What would be the work around on this? Is it correct that this model is now effectively useless as a media centre?

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TS-410

Post by dolbyman »

The processor in these is roundabout 15 years old (cell phone class), so forget about running any multimedia stuff right on top of them

As slow SMB network storage (+/- 50MB/s), they should still work fine
peteypie23
New here

Post by peteypie23 »

Hi Thanks for the reply, but it didn't really answer the question.

When this product was originally sold it had the streaming software with it and now it is withdrawn. If I am to return it I need to be able to show that it would never have worked as a media server as qnap have pulled the add on? Therefore sold and never would have worked and they would have known this.

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Back then SD resolution was probably still the majority.

But yes .. there have been several threads now (forum search) that the MultiMedia Console has been removed for EOL NAS.

I have to go now, I have to return my 15 year old laptop, the sticker says "Plays all the latest games" .. guess what? I just tried Goat Simulator 3 .. and it does not start .. says too old .. CHeatErs! :)
peteypie23
New here

Post by peteypie23 »

Thanks for the reply. Where can i find out which QNAP nas are EOL? When I return this I don't want to make the same mistake again.
Thanks
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zile_i_Maya
First post

Post by Zile_i_Maya »

peteypie23 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:45 am Hi Thanks for the reply, but it didn't really answer the question.

When this product was originally sold it had the streaming software with it and now it is withdrawn. If I am to return it I need to be able to show that it would never have worked as a media server as qnap have pulled the add on? Therefore sold and never would have worked and they would have known this.

Thanks
Hi, I used our Qnap to stream but after an update I couldn't. The media streaming add-on was disabled. It has taken me months to understand how it all happened. But, I downloaded "MediaStreamingAdd-on_430.1.8.13_arm_al_20220718" from Qnap, for my unit, and installed it manually, because the App Center didn't have it, or when I tried to install it as a dependency it said that my firmware did not support it.

The one that I am mentioning is probably an older version of the add-on, but it worked with my newest firmware, except that I had to install it manually.

Until now I couldn't stream, and I just installed it and I am streaming away with all of my old hardware; TS-228, ARM v7rev5, Firmvare:4.3.6.2232 1GB memory.
I stream Full HD to my LG big screen from 2016, but the TV does the decoding, the machine does not transcode...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The TS-228 is half the age of the TS-410 and also a different CPU platform ..so incompatible

Return to “Miscellaneous”