Rebuild \ Upgrade Options & Advice

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
jurgiebaby
New here

Rebuild \ Upgrade Options & Advice

Post by jurgiebaby »

Hey there Guys

I have just replaced a very old Qnap TS-410 with a very new and shiny Qnap TS-464

I rebuilt the TS-464 with the 4x 4TB HDDs from the older TS-410 - this is all working fine

I also had a QNAP TL-D800C which has 8x 4TB HDDs and was connected to my PC as a DAS, I have now added this to the new QNAP TS-464 and all is working brilliantly!

My plan is to upgrade at the very least the 4x 4TB HDDs in the main QNAP TS-464

My question is as follows,

Can I simply backup the data on the QNAP TS-464 and then rebuild it with 4x New 10TB HDDs and will the newly built TS-410 then recognize the untouched 8x 4TB HDDs in the QNAP TL-D800C and all the data on them? I am somewhat worried that if I start from scratch on the QNAP TS-464 that when I reconnect the QNAP TL-D800C that I will no longer be able to see all my data and the volume that was created for these 8x 4TB HDDs

I hope that all makes sense as it does in my head but I would welcome any advice \ guidance from you guys regards my plans to start upgrading all the HDD's starting with the 4x 4TB HDDs in the main QNAP TS-464 unit

Also Further information

The 4x 4TB HDDs in The Qnap TS-464 are in a Raid 5 Volume
The 8x 4TB HDDs in the Qnap TL-D800C are in a Raid 5 Volume

Many Thanks in advance for all your help \ guidance and support
aspomwell
Know my way around

Re: Rebuild \ Upgrade Options & Advice

Post by aspomwell »

Of course you should be doing daily backups so that you can recover in case of emergency. Having said that you should be able to upgrade the TS-464 without recopying all the data by swapping the disks 1 by 1 and waiting for a rebuild each time: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ty-upgrade

I just ordered six 12TB drives to replace the 6TB drives currently in my TVS-673 and plan on doing that myself so I had the link handy!

Not sure about the DAS as I don't have one but I feel it should work. Just to be safe I'd probably disconnect it until the entire process was over. Hopefully one of the smarter nerds can confirm!
TVS-673 16GB 6x6TB WD Red WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 in RAID6
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Post by diwiwi »

aspomwell wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:46 am Having said that you should be able to upgrade the TS-464 without recopying all the data by swapping the disks 1 by 1 and waiting for a rebuild each time: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ty-upgrade
No, the drives coming from a TS-410, the volume will have a 16 TB limitation. He would not be able to expand
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... limitation

I am not sure if re-initializing directly will touch the expansion unit.
But removing the RAID on the TS-464 (without removing disks) should not touch the expansion unit.
I think you may be able to let 1 old drive inside (to keep the config and don't have to re-initialize), and setup a single disk or RAID 1 with 1 or 2 new drives. Then remove the old one (config is mirrored on all drives), and migrate to a RAID 5.

-
jurgiebaby
New here

Post by jurgiebaby »

aspomwell wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:46 am Of course you should be doing daily backups so that you can recover in case of emergency. Having said that you should be able to upgrade the TS-464 without recopying all the data by swapping the disks 1 by 1 and waiting for a rebuild each time: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ty-upgrade

I just ordered six 12TB drives to replace the 6TB drives currently in my TVS-673 and plan on doing that myself so I had the link handy!

Not sure about the DAS as I don't have one but I feel it should work. Just to be safe I'd probably disconnect it until the entire process was over. Hopefully one of the smarter nerds can confirm!
Hi there thank you for this link, I am looking to replace the 4x 4TB HDDs in the TS-464 with initially 3x 16TB HDDs

When I follow the guide and select "Change Disks 1 by 1" nothing happens and I cannot go any further in that process 😢
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

You cant put the 4 disks back in TS-410, a backwards compatibilty is not available.
In addition: you cant reduce the # of disks in a raid, so you need four 16TB disks if you want to run the one-by-one option!

What I would do:

Insert one of the 16TB disks in the TS-410 and copy the data from TS-464 to this single disk.
Remove all disks from TS-464.
Start from scratch with two 16TB disks (raid1) in TS-464, copy the data back from TS-410 to TS-464.
Remove the single disk from TS-410 and insert the old four 4TB disks.
Copy again from TS-464 to TS-410, so TS-410 has still the old disks AND the data.
Connect the 16TB disk to PC, remove any partition information and put it into TS-464 for a raid migrston from raid1 to raid5.
If anything goes wrong in this migration you still have the data at the TS-410.

Its a time-comsuming process with several copies from A to B, but if no other backup exists I would not do anything else...

my2 cents

Regards
jurgiebaby
New here

Post by jurgiebaby »

Thanks for the response FSC830

This is kind of the way I was thinking to be honest but I guess my burning question is once the TS-464 has been rebuilt in a 3x 16TB HDD Raid 5 and all the data has been copied back, will my existing "Volume 2" on my TL-D800C Expansion unit be seen by the newly rebuilt TS-464 unit once I replug it into the USB Port 🙈
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

No experience with any of such TR-/TL- devices here.
But after taking a short look into the manual my guess is, that you need to backup the data from the TL-D800 as well.
BTW: You should ALWAYS have backups if the data is important for you. There are numerous reasons why a NAS can be damaged, fail, not servicing, ...

Regards
jurgiebaby
New here

Post by jurgiebaby »

Ok Guys,

Can I upgrade the 4x 4TB Raid 5 HDDs in my TS-464 to 3x 16TB HDDs or will I need 4x HDDs as the original is 4x HDDs

As I believe I could use the replace disk 1 by 1 option but I only have the 3x 16TB HDDs to replace the current 4x 4TB HDDs so I am not sure if this will work.

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... %22%20menu.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

No, you cant reduce the # of disks in an existing raid.
If you have only 3 new disks, do a backup and start from scratch, restore data.
As an alternative you need a 4th disk for replacing one-by-one.

Regards

Anyhow: replacing one-by-one means 4 times a rebuild. Often seen, that during rebuild aother disk dies. Without backup -> data loss! So it is highly(!!!) recommended to have an actual backup anytime, specially before doing such tasks!

Return to “Miscellaneous”