WiFi Access point

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Frive
Starting out

WiFi Access point

Post by Frive »

Hi,

I have a TS-131K.
I have found many old wifi dongles I used to connect many years ago pcs to internet modem.

I would try to enable the TS-131K to act as access point, reachable from phones or tablets wireless.
What have I to do to perform this task? Is it possible?

I'm not interested to link the NAS to internet, only to connect it to these devices...

Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: WiFi Access point

Post by dolbyman »

Connect the NAS to your wifi router or use a wifi bridge..dont fiddle with wifi directly on the NAS
Frive
Starting out

Post by Frive »

I wouldn't attach the NAS to the Internet LAN, and I would avoid to use another router...
The best thing should be have a solution similar to Synology AIR.

"dont fiddle with wifi directly on the NAS".
Because it is not good or because it is not possible?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You can remove the gateway from the NAS if you dont want the NAS to reach the web (the other way is blocked anyways without port forwards..and this is how malware gets in)

Otherwise WLAN adapter on NAS cause TONs of issues..if they even work at all, so if you want it isolated, a wifi bridge is still easy to do
Frive
Starting out

Post by Frive »

This is the situation:

The QNap is linked (by wire) to a computer and is not attached to a modem (isolated).
It is used as primary archive for this computer, for this reason is wired.

It is connected ONLY to this computer, no others, and the computer is connected to internet by wifi.

The problem is the admin job, because is always busy... so I need to link it wireless to operate.
Time ago was connected to the modem (by wire), but safety reason have suggested to isolate it.

How can I reach it with my computer wireless?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As said before..use a wifi bridge..most range extenders with LAN port have this option (just connect the LAN port of the NAS to the LAN port of the extender in AP or bridge mode..done)

I dont know what the admin job is supposed to be and why/what keeps it busy
Frive
Starting out

Post by Frive »

"I dont know what the admin job is supposed to be and why/what keeps it busy".

The computer with the nas is busy for job and I have to access it by another computer for backup etc...

Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Hmm even if I peg a connection with the max speed (e.g. 1GbE) I can always access the WebGUI. Does that job also use up the CPU ? ( That would do block the GUI as well, but a secondary LAN hookup will not change anything then)
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

it's ok for the nas to have internet. then you can do things like check updates for firmware and apps within qts. Some people opt not to even allow internet access at all, and thats fine but not sure why the need for this.

but like others pointed out, the main thing is not to expose your nas online. what we mean by this is, don't port forward on your router. and don't enable upnp on router and client devices on the network.

never did wifi usb on qnap so no comment on this. but i do use a qnap qwa addon card (this is wifi 5. there is a newer model with wifi 6). Performance is good, but features isn't as comprehensive as a normal wireless ap e.g. ubiquiti unifi (basically the settings are too minimal). you could argue it may be better getting a standard ap rather than something niche like this which requires a qnap to install.

In a normal setup, your nas would have a wired ethernet connection to a switch. And also on the switch or on the same network, would be a wireless ap. So to connect wirelessly to the qnap, you do so through that wireless ap. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a wifi device installed on the qnap at all. A wifi ap on the same network would be sufficient. The question then is wifi coverage. Is there any deadspots from where your client device is trying to access via wifi? this what you should be rectifying.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Miscellaneous”