Just bought TS-453D, already can't log in 24 hours later

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
disnoid72
New here

Just bought TS-453D, already can't log in 24 hours later

Post by disnoid72 »

Please help!

The morning after set-up, I went to log in to continue the process and getting the following message :

Log In credentials are incorrect or your account is no longer valid Contact Administrator.

What in the world in going on? My credentials ARE NOT INCORRECT.

I used the reset fix, to RESET my password but there is no where to do that. I just get brought back to a reg LOG In page. It's a ridiculous loop. None of the knowledge base has what I need.

In order to do anything, you have to LOG IN!

Signed,
EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Just bought TS-453D, already can't log in 24 hours later

Post by dolbyman »

What is the "reset fix" ? You mean a 3 second push of the reset button on the back ?

Any antivirus installed on your endpoints that would probe and hammer credentials to pentest the NAS ?
See here
viewtopic.php?t=144394
disnoid72
New here

Post by disnoid72 »

YES. Tried the 3 second push and 10 second push. Neither bring me to anything resembling a PASSWORD Reset page. Where is that option?

I have a MAC, not running any antiviral software. Not running Bitdefender. Have had other NAS on same system, never had firewall or antivirus issues that would prevent me from logging in.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No there is no page, the 3 second reset:

(re)enables the admin account
sets the admin password to FIRSTMAC (see sticker on the back of the NAS)

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... -explained
disnoid72
New here

Post by disnoid72 »

Thank You finally got to the password reset pop up.

Now every password I enter says FAILED TO RESET User's Password.

I've tried 10 original formats. For example: Gigi4u#72!

Instructions are: must consist of 0-64 ASCII characters or 0-64 bytes of UTF-8 encoded characters

I tried using their own system suggested password for kicks and giggles...I get the same message.

At a loss. Feeling defeated.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Have you tried more than 10 characters ? .. Not sure what the current default password length is
disnoid72
New here

Post by disnoid72 »

The suggested system password is 15 characters. But like I said, that option doesn't work either.

Trapped.

My brother in law warned me against QNAP. I said no they're a great system, especially for content creators. He said get a Synology, I said no. Here I am. Can't even log in.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Where did you purchase this unit from? Was it new/used/refurbished/etc...?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
disnoid72
New here

Post by disnoid72 »

Completely brand spanking new.

B&H. Had glorious unboxing, felt so ready. Honored to upgrade from my Western Digital NAS to brand marketed towards users like me.

Installed apps, registered equipment, set up passwords. Went to sleep. Woke up tried to log in got message above. That's it. QNAP Chat is non existent. So putting all my eggs in the forum.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Quick side question .. you did not expose it to WAN though right? (sharing the NAS with friends/clients/etc)
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

disnoid72 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:03 am Completely brand spanking new.
Excellent. That helps rule-out a previous user making modifications. Image

What are the make and exact model (the model code) of the HDDs installed in the NAS please?

@dolbyman's question is more relevant however. :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
disnoid72
New here

Post by disnoid72 »

Sure,

It's a Seagate Ironwolf Pro 3.5" SATA 7200rpm

Here is the link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _hard.html

This is the only drive in there. It is brand new. NO DATA.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

and the NAS WAN exposure ?
Dick_193s
First post

Post by Dick_193s »

If You reset the NAS by push the switch in the back with a pin, the admin account will be reset to the default password. The default password is the mac address as shown in Qfinder Pro.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

At a loss. Feeling defeated.
just take a moment to breathe and relax... ok? I understand the frustrations, but lets calm down and try work through this together :}

When credentials don't work, there is a few things you can do...

1. check you type credentials properly. sometimes i will open notepad to check..... maybe ur keyboard key was dodgy but you did not realize, or you had capslock on..etc... it happens..

2. you got locked out somehow. usually by repeatedly entering incorrect credentials is the common cause

so if you confirmed you can't login, then the next step is try reboot. if after that it still doesn't let you login, then it may be time to consider a soft reset which is to press the reset button at the back of the nas for 3 seconds till u hear 1 beep (NOT 2 BEEPS!!! not what you want). This will then reset your password back to the default (which is macaddress1. refer to the article that explains this).

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... -explained

mac1 address can be found from the label beneath your nas, or like most of us prefer doing, using qfinder and finding out from there.

the next thing, how are you accessing your qnap? are you doing this from the same lan? or are you perhaps doing this remotely over the internet? if the later, is your NAS exposed ? ( as in you are not using a secure method for remote access e.g. VPN which ideally you should for that sort of config).

The problem with exposing your nas online, is a HIGH risk of getting hacked into and infected with malware which can wreak all kinds of havoc on your NAS.

Anyway try your best to explain to the rest here what you did for setting up the nas, and how it is configured. This will then let others know whats going on so they can best help you. without sufficient info or things intentionally ommited (it's ok to ommit sensitive info) then it will be hard to advise. so plz keep that in mind.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Miscellaneous”