Error Importing Root Certificates

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
seanpmassey
New here

Error Importing Root Certificates

Post by seanpmassey »

Hello!

I'm deploying my first physical QNAP in my home lab, and I'm running into a cryptic error adding in my lab's root and intermediate CA Certificates on QuTS Hero 5.0.1.2277 running on a TS473A.

The error is "The custom root certificate file is invalid. Try importing the file again."

I can't find many details on this error message, and I don't see anything in the event log in QuLog Center that could help troubleshooting. I have tested these same custom root certificates on a QuTSCloud appliance (version 5.0.1.2148) running in my lab, and I had no issues importing the root certificates.

I have not opened a support ticket yet, but I can if it's needed. I can also downgrade the firmware to a version that matches my QuTSCloud appliance since I don't have any data on this box yet.

Are there any logs that I can check to see why this import is failing?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Error Importing Root Certificates

Post by dolbyman »

Best to open a ticket ...

Also make sure to never ever ever expose your NAS to WAN (SSL or not, doesn't matter)
seanpmassey
New here

Post by seanpmassey »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:32 pm Best to open a ticket ...

Also make sure to never ever ever expose your NAS to WAN (SSL or not, doesn't matter)
I have no plans to expose it to the internet.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Then it's fine .. SSL certs in not FQDN resolvable environments (yes I know you can DNS resolve internal IP's as well, if you know how to work your DNS) are useless. 99% of all people here asking for SSL certs are exposing their NAS online and think SSL will help them in any way

Return to “Miscellaneous”