TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
cameralabs
New here

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by cameralabs »

Thanks for the diagnosis and links - I did read a few of the first and last pages of posts, but I was mostly seeing people describing the issues and then sending their units back for replacements. I've run forums and over the years have also published hundreds of reviews, so I know how annoying it can be for someone to ask a question that's already been answered, so apologies for that. Thanks again for your support. PS - I just opened the case to check the motherboard, which, unsurprisingly for a unit assembled in 2019 is v 1.3.
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Location Update Spreadsheet
lyceel
New here

Post by lyceel »

Looks like I'm joining this rather dubious club. Happened tonight to my TVS-672XT while rebooting after a firmware update. Motherboard rev 1.3, manufactured in May of 2020.

Very disappointed that this is happening, as I've been quite happy with it up to this point. I have a ticket open. Hopefully a good solution is forthcoming.
losdelrock
Location: Gibraltar, Europe - currently not recognised by Google or Apple in their stores.

Post by losdelrock »

Yep. Same here.

TVS672N

Went nuts troubleshooting this and then came across this thread.

Annoying thing is I have had it hooked up to an APC 1500VA UPS since it was a baby and it shuts it down gracefully after 5 minutes of power outage.

Nothing I could have done.

Have logged a ticket with QNAP.

Adrian.

**Edit - pretty sure this happened after a firmware update too. My QNAP boots 1 in every 5 or 6 attempts so I downgraded but issue persisted.**
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

losdelrock wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:35 pm **Edit - pretty sure this happened after a firmware update too. My QNAP boots 1 in every 5 or 6 attempts so I downgraded but issue persisted.**
It often happen after a firmware upgrade as that is the most common reason for a reboot and the symptoms of this hardware failure usually manifests itself on reboots. It's NOT a firmware issue!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
losdelrock
Location: Gibraltar, Europe - currently not recognised by Google or Apple in their stores.

Post by losdelrock »

Yes.

I backup to S3.

More worried about QNAP’s reputation than my data.

Back on topic.

Will post if I hear back from them.

Adrian.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

losdelrock wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:55 am Yes.

I backup to S3.

More worried about QNAP’s reputation than my data.

Back on topic.
You are mixing up signature and post here
mariachi76

Post by mariachi76 »

opensourcefan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:04 am Spreadsheet Updated

Hi,
I report a failure
TVS-872XT-i5-16G, purchased 04/2020. Doesn't restart after a power outage. No fans spin, red led inside on.
QNAP support will RMA although out of warranty. I just shipped it, forgot to look up the motherboard rev.

best,
mariachi76
TVS-872XT, 8x Exos 16TB Raid6, 2xCrucial NVMe 1TB
TS-873A, 8x Exos 8TB Raid5 for Backup
martinav
Know my way around

Post by martinav »

Well, here is my story... which is not ended yet. I purchased my TVS-872N and it failed to turn on after I installed a QM2 card only a few months from when I purchased it. I was freaked out because I thought the card caused it. I sent in the unit, and it was of course under warranty. They told me they replaced the motherboard, and they also replaced the QM2 card, because apparently, it wasnt clear to them at the time what caused the problem. So, I received my unit back, and it worked fine for almosst 2 more years. It was actually switched off for about half of that. However, a couple weeks ago.. no warning.. no apparent events.. the NAS was shut down, and I have no record of when it happened. Dead.... again... So, time two for this to fail.

Story continues... It took quite a long time after submitting this one with customer service. It took two weeks, and they decided to give me a call, because they were informing me they were NOT going to extend the warranty for this. Warranty effectively ended 10/22/2022. Seems they dont want to give me the same liberty of some others. But, they wanted to offer me a TVS-872XT for the 'repair cost' of over $900. I'm like... uhhh no. They told me they replaced my motherboard with the improved one... but, no dice. Still failed... so they want me to spend another $900+ to get another unit of the same base design as a replacement?? What... to maybe work another 1.75 years? No. I would take it as a free swap on an RMA... no way am I going to since almost a grand for a NEW one of the same base model if they cant tell me a new motherboard 'shouldnt' have failed. But, it did in my unit. Or... did it? Was it the new one?

After the call... curiosity got to me. I removed the fan assembly to reveal a v1.0 motherboard. Seems they did NOT give me the new revision with the fixes. So, I reported this back to QNAP. We will see how they handle it. I have a defective board. If they are going to stand behind this warranty rejection, I may find myself going outside of QNAP for the first time. Over the last 15 years, I have owned at least 9 different QNAP devices, and have installed them for many other people. They have been top notch devices except for this one. They had a real loser design here, and they need to own up to it. Warranty or not. This is a fundamentally flawed design, and they need to make it right. They lost a lot of confidence with me so far. I should not have to be pushing for this.
TVS-h1688x 2xm.2 1TB, 12x16TB EXOS, TVS-872n 2xM.2 1TB, 8x16TB EXOS (Currently dead... pending QNAP Support)
Wildfire983
New here

Post by Wildfire983 »

Well, I'm here to report our failure.

TS-883XU-RP with over 1000 days of uptime last time I checked. Purchased in Spring of 2020. Just powered off unexpectedly two days ago and will not power on now. Power button does nothing, red light of death on motherboard to indicate it has power. Sorry but I don't have the motherboard revision at the moment.

RMA just got approved and I'll be shipping it out very soon.
ibrahm7575
New here

Post by ibrahm7575 »

hi! Here to report a failure of TVS-672XT-i3-8G happened yesterday and I couldn't sleep trying to report and find the solution for "sudden death after normal shutdown and red led from under the device" lucky I found this forum.
purchased 05/2020.

Doesn't start and nothing at all.

I sent to QNAP support and waiting for answers

motherboard shows
20008-A02132-HT-10-RS
TVS-872XT MB v1.3
Q012

Hope I get help asap.
Wildfire983
New here

Post by Wildfire983 »

Wildfire983 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:58 am Well, I'm here to report our failure.

TS-883XU-RP with over 1000 days of uptime last time I checked. Purchased in Spring of 2020. Just powered off unexpectedly two days ago and will not power on now. Power button does nothing, red light of death on motherboard to indicate it has power. Sorry but I don't have the motherboard revision at the moment.

RMA just got approved and I'll be shipping it out very soon.
Just checked. Revision V1.2
mariachi76

Post by mariachi76 »

mariachi76 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:47 am
opensourcefan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:04 am Spreadsheet Updated

Hi,
I report a failure
TVS-872XT-i5-16G, purchased 04/2020. Doesn't restart after a power outage. No fans spin, red led inside on.
QNAP support will RMA although out of warranty. I just shipped it, forgot to look up the motherboard rev.

best,
mariachi76
I want to give a big kudos to QNAP here: As reported, my TVS-872 had a motherboard failure. That device I purchased in China in April 2020 while I lived there. So it was clearly out of warranty and purchased on the other side of the planet at sort of chinese ebay platform (taobao). I live in the US now, QNAP US support nevertheless accepted it as RMA under warranty, and only 8 days after sending it in, I have it in my hands again, fully functional, with the motherboard changed to V2.0. Really happy about that - in my case QNAP clearly took accountability and fixed it.
I find that really great - and my next NAS will be a QNAP again. Wanted to share that here...

best
mariachi76
TVS-872XT, 8x Exos 16TB Raid6, 2xCrucial NVMe 1TB
TS-873A, 8x Exos 8TB Raid5 for Backup
sguser888
New here

Post by sguser888 »

sguser888 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:42 pm Add another one to the list...

My TVS-872XT died this morning with the same problem. MB revision is 1.3

Out of warranty but hoping Qnap will repair it out of goodwill since this is my 5th and most expensive NAS from them but yet died so prematurely. All my previous 4 Qnap NAS lasted more than 5 years without any issues

Hopefully Qnap will do whatever necessary to retain me as their loyal customer and not force me to switch over to their competitor
Update on the issue.

Qnap Taiwan repeatedly referred me back to my local Singapore distributor for RMA despite telling them that the unit was bought from an online seller in Taiwan and the unit is out of warranty.

The Singapore distributed quoted me SGD$450 for the diagnosis/repair/handling plus another SGD$300 for the freight to back from Taiwan.

Basically both Qnap Taiwan and their Singapore distributor just ignored my messages about this known common problem with the TVS-874XT. My repeated requests/pleas for goodwill repair were also ignored and they just quoted the above fees in a matter of factly. It’s like telling me it’ll cost you that much to have it fixed, Take it or leave it.

So my advice to everyone is:- Stay away from buying products from this company. My faith in Qnap is completely lost 😠
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Post by diwiwi »

sguser888 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:19 pm Basically both Qnap Taiwan and their Singapore distributor just ignored my messages about this known common problem with the TVS-874XT. My repeated requests/pleas for goodwill repair were also ignored and they just quoted the above fees in a matter of factly. It’s like telling me it’ll cost you that much to have it fixed, Take it or leave it.

So my advice to everyone is:- Stay away from buying products from this company. My faith in Qnap is completely lost 😠
If not already, I think you could try to open another support ticket, maybe in Taiwan region since the unit is from there.
Sometimes, you get different answers from different people..

-

Return to “Miscellaneous”