qvpn setting

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
fraste03
Getting the hang of things

qvpn setting

Post by fraste03 »

hi guys I ask you for help, I have an asus dsl ac68u modem router with merlin firmware installed and I could set up an open vpn client and my idea was to redirect all router traffic to my local qnap server with the qvpn application, I set everything correctly but I can't figure out if I've done it right, could someone kindly check the images? 192.168.1.2 and and dns I gave him that of the router i.e. 192.168.1.1 which is configured to in turn redirect all traffic to the pi-hole of the nas on container station with address 192,168,1.42 and what did I do wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fraste03 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: qvpn setting

Post by dolbyman »

what is the plan?

Is the router in one location and the NAS in another ?

Also..(as sooo many times before) always switch the NAS UI to English, when posting in an English forum!
fraste03

Post by fraste03 »

sorry you're right, the next photos I'll post will change the interface to English
the plan was to redirect all internet traffic from the router to the nas and filter everything via vpn....
for example I have qbittorrent installed on the nas via docker with a specific ip assigned and i wanted to redirect everything via vpn... any device that accesses my local network and has access to the internet via the ac68u dsl which has ip 192.168.1.1 i would like it to be redirected to the nas that has 192.168.1.2 which is never turned off and having qvpn with openvpn installed I would like to pass all the traffic from there
fraste03

Post by fraste03 »

the router and the nas its in the same location, same subnet mask
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You make sure that the container is bridged and then use the merlin vpn director to tunnel all the torrent traffic out..easy

you do not install or use any vpn client on the NAS for that
fraste03

Post by fraste03 »

I'm not understanding .... assuming that I have not subscribed to any paid subscription to understand with any company, I was just trying to use the nas as a server and the router as a client by directing all the traffic from the router to the nas but I can't where I'm wrong, so you're telling me not to use the nas with qvpn?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Then the usage is still unclear..what exactly is your VPN supposed to do here, if you do not subscribe to an anonymizer VPN service? (purpose here is to hide your identity from copyright enforcement)
fraste03

Post by fraste03 »

maybe you're right and it's not clear to me then .... I think I can use the nas as a server and the router as a client ... so sorry qvpn which can act both as a server and as a client what is it for? about 3 months ago you had me configure the dsl ac68 as a server and you had me close the ports on the WAN of the nas and I found it fantastic because having installed the application on android and pc I can remotely access my network exactly as if I were in LAN.....but I thought that it could also be vice versa ----it means that I will leave everything as it is and I will enable the proxy server on the qnap and I will impotent all the devices on the lan pc ipad and phones that connect to the qnap qproxy for extra protection -----..... it would have been nice if you could direct all the router traffic to the qproxy without having to set all the devices on the network manually .... ..I have already configured the redirection of the dns on pi-hole installed on the qnap and everything works perfectly....
do you know if there is a way to redirect all the traffic from the router to the qproxy application on qnap? that would be great
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

But there is no need for VPN if server and client are in the same network

For outside access it makes sense, but not like this
fraste03

Post by fraste03 »

ok, in any case you recommend me to install qproxy on the nas and hijack all the devices on the proxy of the nas?so i think i should benefit from the cascades for reloading the pages, a squid protection because the qproxy nas examines the files and i could even hide it ip of the machine that is connected to the internet right? but I always expose the ip of the nas because the proxy does the nas right?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No idea what you are trying to do here with proxies etc

What is the plan? (as asked before)
fraste03

Post by fraste03 »

the plan is to benefit from the qproxy cache to have a higher loading speed of web pages, and to hide the ip of the pc that will connect to the internet behind the qproxy that i set in the nas
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The internal IPs are hidden anyways, due to NAT (only IP visible to the outside is your routers..and without a VPN service, that will not change)

I don't know your web connection ..but would a cache web proxy really make a difference here?

If you are a large corporation or University campus..sure, but at home ?
fraste03

Post by fraste03 »

ok thank you very much for helping me to clarify my doubts

Return to “Miscellaneous”