Original MAC Address has changed.

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Jack Ouzzi
Starting out

Re: Original MAC Address has changed.

Post by Jack Ouzzi »

Tachovsky:

Same server model ..

I had the same issue, but only noticed this after Firmware Version 4.2.1 - 20160601, well I did not notice it, but the server would not keep my static ip address, so I opened a support ticket but as I live in Germany the 'help' came back in German which was difficult for me to understand, I speak German but not technical German .. anyway the 'helper' came back in English and decided that is was a 'bug' and that they would report it to the developers .. and I reverted back to 4.2.1 20160419 and all was well. In between all this I had forgotten that I had setup an English Helpdesk account, and had sent a ticket there as well (look, I am getting old OK :' ) and it was there in the UK that I was asked to provide a system 'dump' for analysis and the technician (the different MAC address/s was then spotted) gave instructions of how to re-instate the mac addresses to the factory settings, (some in Chinese, so brush up on that if it is your turn :mrgreen: ) which I did, I then updated to 4.2.1 - 20160601, and all is working well now.

Both technicians were very helpful, and quick to offer advice, OK the German guy not quite as detailed, but I could not speak his tech language, but I still do not have an answer as to WHY the mac addresses had changed themselves, and for how long? ... again I am no technical guy, but think I know enough to to ask, could this have been a security issue?? OK a rouge update resetting everything in the past (4.2.0 build 20160311 ?) or something more sinister. Anyone got any answers??

Update: The UK technician advised me that this was a common problem on 'older' QNAP Servers ... Hmmm :S

Anyway the solution that worked for me, via the Help Desk is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B28BB6 ... sp=sharing (copied and edited by me in PDF format) so offered as a solution, the images are a copy from MY NAS after the latest update (with bits blacked out) so yours will look different of course. Fairly easy and straightforward, just watch your Chinese Symbols .... Good Luck :DD

:!: The above link will be removed on 01-07-2016 :!:
----
Perscriptio in manibus tabellariorum est
dki19
First post

Post by dki19 »

Thanks a lot for published solution. Works perfectly for me!
NASuser13
New here

Post by NASuser13 »

Thanks for the follow up ;)
tachovsky
New here

Post by tachovsky »

After 8 months passed I have started receiving a warning on my QNAP TS-419P+ "External LAN Card Changed". When I checked NAS network settings I realized that also the second network card's MAC address (not connected to network) has been spontaneously reset to ...:05:09 . So now I have two LAN cards with the same MAC addresses. As I have only one of them connected with cable, I do not really care except the error message. Had I needed both I would be quite disapointed. I hope that by the time I upgrade my home LAN so that I can utilize both connections at once there will be a solution to this included in a QNAP firmware update.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

@tachovsky
tachovsky wrote: When I checked NAS network settings I realized that also the second network card's MAC address (not connected to network) has been spontaneously reset to ...:05:09 . So now I have two LAN cards with the same MAC addresses. ... I hope that by the time I upgrade my home LAN so that I can utilize both connections at once there will be a solution to this included in a QNAP firmware update.
New firmware cant fix this - you need to take notes of the MAC addresses printed on the NAS label, and follow the process already documented before a few posts back -> viewtopic.php?f=50&t=109149#p555081 - the link provided does provide a PDF documentation.

In brief:

Access the NAS Web based hwtest. From your browser, access the url below, replacing “NAS-IP” with your NAS IP address.

Code: Select all

http://NAS-IP:8080/cgi-bin/hwtest/hwtest.cgi?func=start
hwtest - MAC address restore 1 pxlr.jpg
Click on the button marked "OK" here...
hwtest - MAC address restore 2 pxlr.jpg
Enter the original MAC address and Serial No. of the NAS

Press the button 下一步: (First in line, marked OK)

Press the button 關機: (Next in line and after 下一步)

The device will shut down. After it has shut down, manually power on again and the MAC address should be restored.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tachovsky
New here

Post by tachovsky »

@schumaku Thank you for step-by-step instructions! I have followed it and it helped :) Both LAN interfaces have their originals MAC addresses restored.

Thank you very much for your help!

PS: I have not filled the NAS serial number as it was already filled in and I do not know what a correct one is (it may be on a label on the back of the NAS box but it is not easily accessible for me now).
PPS: The power off of the NAS was irregular, a volume file check is necessary afterwards.
satis4action
First post

Post by satis4action »

Crazy!
But working, thank you! :-)
Kamikaze01
Starting out

Post by Kamikaze01 »

Hello friends.

Thank u so much for this threat.
But for me nothing helped :cry:

I can access the service menue without problems.
But when I want to change my Mac addresses back to normal, I got error. (EEPROM fail ??!?)
See attached Pic.

I fill in exactly my s/n and my Mac addresses from the sticker on the back :( checked and tried several times...

Also tried via ssh the command.
Login as admin without problem.
# setcfg eth0 "Mac Addresss" XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:22
# setcfg eth1 "Mac Addresss" XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:23
But no change :(
Even after restart the MacAdress still is wrong on both ethernet ports (00:00:00:00:05:09)

Any ideas?

Thank u
Kami
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kamikaze01
Starting out

Post by Kamikaze01 »

Problem solved !!!

Change back to FW 4.3.4.0644 and everything is good !!!!

kind regards
Kami
petur

Post by petur »

If you're not helped by above instructions, here is something that worked on a TS-x31 NAS
(instructions from QNAP support)

1. Shutdown the NAS
2. Disconnect all power source from NAS (e.g. remove the power cable)
3. Wait 1 minute
4. Power on the NAS again
5. Update latest QTS version
6. Repeat steps 1-4 again
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland
Kamikaze01
Starting out

Post by Kamikaze01 »

LoL... This is 3 Month ago...
Meanwhile I got 3 more Updates I think.

With the downgrade from my last Post, the problem was already solved ;)

Everything good now... This was a problem from the Qnap FW !!
cserl
Starting out

Post by cserl »

In 2020 on a QNAP TS-1277 with the newest firmware and all apps updated to the newest version the unwanted MAC address change happened again.
I have performed the steps described in this forum to revert it back to the original address. With success.
It worked for a day or two, but after it changed back to a new MAC again, this time different.
I have contacted Qnap support and provided a log about the changes and the reverting process.
I asked them to do some regression testing, since this was a known issue already in 2014!!!
What an unreliable miserable software quality!

Return to “Miscellaneous”