[TS-231] unresponsive except to ping

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
tekiwibird
New here

[TS-231] unresponsive except to ping

Post by tekiwibird »

Hello,

I have a TS-231, it has recently started to become unresponsive by disconnecting network drives, and stopping services. However, it does respond to ping - cannot ssh. This happens after a few days or so, and after a hard reset to get it working I have noticed that it starts to synchronise the raid group (also there is a check filesystem prompt because of the hard reset). This has begun only after upgrading to the new firmware.

Network devices have not changed since the last stable running of my NAS. The NAS runs weekly tests on the HDD and no errors have been reported.

So far everything is pointing to the recent firmware update. Any ideas/clues to what is happening?

I have an open ticket with QNAP as well.

Specifics:

Your Operating System you are using to access your NAS: OSX
NAS model: TS-231
Firmware Version/Build numbers: 4.2.0 2016/01/19
Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking): Port trunking
If Port Trunking is present please specify (choose correct one): balance-alb
Drive Configuration: RAID 1
Number of drives: 2
Drive Manufacturer (ie Seagate, WD, Hitachi, etc): Seagate/Toshiba 3GB ea
Drive Model: ST3000DM001/DT01ACA300
Drive Firmware revision (if available) CC25/MX6OABB0
CylonCenturion

Re: [TS-231] unresponsive except to ping

Post by CylonCenturion »

tekiwibird wrote:Hello,

I have a TS-231, it has recently started to become unresponsive by disconnecting network drives, and stopping services. However, it does respond to ping - cannot ssh. This happens after a few days or so, and after a hard reset to get it working I have noticed that it starts to synchronise the raid group (also there is a check filesystem prompt because of the hard reset). This has begun only after upgrading to the new firmware.

Network devices have not changed since the last stable running of my NAS. The NAS runs weekly tests on the HDD and no errors have been reported.

So far everything is pointing to the recent firmware update. Any ideas/clues to what is happening?

I have an open ticket with QNAP as well.

Specifics:

Your Operating System you are using to access your NAS: OSX
NAS model: TS-231
Firmware Version/Build numbers: 4.2.0 2016/01/19
Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking): Port trunking
If Port Trunking is present please specify (choose correct one): balance-alb
Drive Configuration: RAID 1
Number of drives: 2
Drive Manufacturer (ie Seagate, WD, Hitachi, etc): Seagate/Toshiba 3GB ea
Drive Model: ST3000DM001/DT01ACA300
Drive Firmware revision (if available) CC25/MX6OABB0
what is the status of the drive(s) ?
Brand new , etc..
tekiwibird
New here

Post by tekiwibird »

Drives were bought with the NAS, so 5 months old now. The disks go through a weekly test, and they have reported all good on the NAS.

Aside, the synchronisation is at ~12% now.
tekiwibird
New here

Post by tekiwibird »

Last time I checked synchronization was ~60%, as of yesterday the NAS has gone into its unresponsive state. I am leaving it in this state for the next two days. Luckily, I have a scheduled call with QNAP support, so I hope they can find the problem. I'll report back the findings.

Very peculiar behavior.
waeking
Starting out

Post by waeking »

I am in a similar situation I have a ts-431. I can ping the machine but no access. I have turn off services one at a time. Turns out that the antivirus even after being disabled still runs any schedules that you have. I have deleted the schedules and no longer have this problem.
TS-431 3@4TB Raid 5 Firmware 4.2.1 Beta
tekiwibird
New here

Post by tekiwibird »

Thanks for your response, I just got of the phone from a qnap tech support rep and he has disabled antivirus as an attempt to see if its the problem.

Prior to this all my other services, except btsync, antivirus and network file sharing, were turned off. The qnap rep was hinting at btsync being the problem, so I am running top to see what happens if it locks up again.

For me, this problem began with upgrading the firmware to the latest version as of this thread. The preceding version had no issues so I may rollback if it means I can't have antivirus running properly.

Do you know what's happening - are the scheduled antivirus runs turning off services and not re-enabling them?

(Following my previous status reports - file synchronisation completed successfully and the file system was checked and passed, but the system became unresponsive, again, after two days. Resetting brings the system up and shows a file system may not be clean error, which clears after a scan.)
tekiwibird
New here

Post by tekiwibird »

I just saw that there is a new firmware 4.2.0 build 0130. For some reason, the TS231 does not see the update via the live update window, so I'm going to install it manually to see if it fixes the issue.
Last edited by tekiwibird on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I think the ST3000DM001 drives are also notorious for causing all sorts of issues

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=52487
tekiwibird
New here

Post by tekiwibird »

I was aware of the issues people have been seeing with those drives, when I was considering options, and at the time I didn't want to spend > $100 on each drive. I did however mix the types, hence the reliable Toshiba (which is an Hitachi/HGST undercover).

I personally don't think its a drive issue because 1) they are regularly scanned for errors and I keep track of the stats now and then, and 2) my problems did start when I upgraded the firmware. However, I'm not ruling it out as a possibility and thanks for posting.
tekiwibird
New here

Post by tekiwibird »

I used this tool at the time to make my choice if anyone's interested. Latest link: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri ... y-q3-2015/
tekiwibird
New here

Post by tekiwibird »

Disabling antivirus has solved the issue. bug.
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

tekiwibird wrote:Disabling antivirus has solved the issue. bug.
Remarkeble

I have enabled on both my nas'es antivirus, and encounter no issues.

Are you 100% sure that this solved the issue?

Personally i belief that dolbyman's answer is thing to
Consider.
psnow1
New here

Post by psnow1 »

Same issue with TS 231 unresponsive after a few days except for ping OK. Looked at default antivirus schedule weekly - "first" - Date of disconnection aligns with dates of this schedule.
Turned of anti virus to see if this resolves the issue

Model name TS-231
Firmware version 4.2.3 Build 20170121
2 WD red disks
Model Number: WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 Disk Capacity:3726.02 GB Firmware Version: 82.00A82
Raid Group1

Network connection :Ethernet 1 - 1 GB
drdbrown
Starting out

Post by drdbrown »

Today this happened to me. I just upgraded to 4.3.3.0238. Got the call this morning that all shared drives were missing. Looking at the NETWORK the NAS was missing. I could ping it OK but could not log in. All lights looks ok including the LAN blinking but the HD lights seemed odd, blinking together regularly, sort of like they were zombies.

Had to do a hard shut down and restart and everything came back up. I noticed the AV had re-started it's scan. The log showed the last event to be that the Anti-virus began it's nightly scan so I stopped the scan. I have deleted the AV schedule and then found this thread on the forum. Guess I was on the right track! So now what? Run without AV? That's a POS.

TS-231 ARMv7 rev 1 (v71) 479.3 MB RAM
drdbrown
Starting out

Post by drdbrown »

Off line AGAIN today, Wednesday. Had to do a hard reset, same symptoms. I guess I will need to submit a ticket since no one else seems to be having difficulties like this.

Thinking about this a little, on Monday I had to do a hard restart to gain access to the webpage. I turned off the AV and deleted the application BUT did NOT do a reset. So I wonder if the AV engine was still involved. Today I have done a hard reset again, this time the AV app should not even be involved at all. If the network lockout does not re-occur I will have a stronger suspicion that it is the AV and the firmware update bug.

Return to “Miscellaneous”