Mass Deployment of 20+ Qnaps

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Hickory
New here

Mass Deployment of 20+ Qnaps

Post by Hickory » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:57 am

Hi All,

The company I work for is purchasing around 20 or so Qnaps. The models are the TVS-663 and TVS-863.

Obviously, setting up these Qnaps manually, one by one is far less than desirable. I have experience with Ansible (If you don't know what that is, you should google it).

With Ansible, I have managed to setup ssh keys, so I can login without a password into the shell.
Note: Ansible requires python-simplejson for its modules, but the Qnap OS does not have this, so you must use the 'raw' module in your playbooks.

I am trying to accomplish the following (all via command line... No GUI)

Code: Select all

roles:
  - ssh           # The only one done so far.
  - host_settings # (hostname, password)
  - network       # (ntp, TimeZone, join to domain)
  - services      # (windows/linux (NFS, SMB/CIFS, File Station))
  - disk          # (All disks in a raid 6)

Due to the lack of the qcli documentation, I thought it would be wise to post here if anyone has any insight on these tools and the commands required to pull off the above roles.

Once I have successfully pulled off what I am trying to achieve, I will happily post my efforts onto GitHub for anyone and everyone to use and modify to suit their needs. Credits will go out to all who help contribute :)

OR, If there is another way to centrally deploy/configure 20+ Qnaps, I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance,
Hickory

Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Mass Deployment of 20+ Qnaps

Post by Trexx » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:26 pm

I would recommend looking into the QCenter application which is designed to help manage/monitor multiple QNAP devices

You can find more information below:

https://www.qnap.com/solution/qcenter/index.php?lang=en
https://www.qnap.com/en/tutorial/con_sh ... ne&cid=141
https://www.qnap.com/en/qa/?cat=23
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.4.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB Evo 860
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
Model:TS-228a FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS RAID Rebuild Times | Live QTS Videos | | QNAP NAS Guide | Information needed when you ask for HELP | QNAP Links, Tutorials, etc.
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Hickory
New here

Post by Hickory » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi Trexx,

Thank you very much for pointing me in that direction.

I have installed the Q'Center app on the the Nas that I've already configured. Then it told me I needed to install the agent, so I did that too.

Problem started when I tried to add the second nas (completely unconfigured... Powered up with network cables in it). The IP of the second nas is displayed on the LED screen.
I go to add it in the Q'Center app, but it keeps telling me I am entering a wrong password. I know the default password is 'admin' (this is what I use for ssh when unconfigured).

I am rebooting the configured nas now and I will report back with an update as soon as I have one.

Cheers,
Hickory

Hickory
New here

Post by Hickory » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Same exact issue. It will not add the unconfigured nas.

I cannot be configuring these 20+ Qnaps manually as I will not have physicall access to a number of them. While Q'Center may be a good way to track and monitor them, from what I can tell, I don't think it's going to suit my requirements...

Any advise would be grateful.

Thanks again,
Hickory

squishyhippie
New here

Post by squishyhippie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:53 pm

G'Day Hickory,

Thanks for your post. I stumbled across it when trying to get ansible working with some QNAPs (TVS-663)

Initially I was getting errors related to the python path.

QNAP1 | FAILED! => {
    "changed": false,
    "failed": true,
    "module_stderr": "Shared connection to QNAP1 closed.\r\n",
    "module_stdout": "/bin/sh: /usr/bin/python: No such file or directory\r\n",
    "msg": "MODULE FAILURE"
}

After setting ansible_python_interpreter="/usr/local/bin/python" for the host this went away :-)
Sadly it was replaced by a much longer and nastier looking error :-(

QNAP1 | FAILED! => {
    "changed": false,
    "failed": true,
    "module_stderr": "Shared connection to QNAP1 closed.\r\n",
    "module_stdout": "Traceback (most recent call last):\r\n  File \"/tmp/ansible_NYNEAP/ansible_module_ping.py\", line 44, in <module>\r\n    from ansible.module_utils.basic import AnsibleModule\r\n  File \"/tmp/ansible_NYNEAP/ansible_modlib.zip/ansible/module_utils/basic.py\", line 44, in <module>\r\nImportError: No module named pipes\r\n",
    "msg": "MODULE FAILURE"
}

After trying to locate or install the pipes module in a QNAP friendly way for a while, I thought I'd give the raw module a go (yes it's bad I know!).

bash-3.2$ ansible -m raw -s -a "hostname" QNAP1
QNAP1 | FAILED | rc=127 >>
sh: sudo: command not found
Shared connection to QNAP1 closed.

At this point I decided to give up and do what I needed to do the old fashioned way for the day.

Have you made any progress getting ansible and your QNAPs to play nice together?

Cheers,

Squishy

Return to “Miscellaneous”