amule... what the heck!?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
airone12
Starting out

amule... what the heck!?

Post by airone12 »

hi there,
i spent the last 3 hours trying to make amule work on my nas (qnap ts261+ with Firmware version 4.2.3 Build 20170121): i installed amule 2.3.2 in the app center, pushed the open button, filled with the password and logged in. here are some questions:
1 what happens when i reboot my nas? amule will start after reboot or i have to start it myself? if i have to start, how am i supposed to start it?
2 what happens with the settings after reboot? it looks like they are scratched and reloaded from a standard archive, am i wrong? how am i supposed to change the settings directory location or, at least, modify the files in the given path so i can backup settings and make them survive reboot?
3 while amule was working fine, i tried to launch amulecmd and it replied that there was something wrong with libread.so.6 (libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file): how am i supposed to solve this? isn't it supposed to install all the required libraries?
4 how should i stop, start and restart amule when i feel the need?

thanks to everybody who will help me... i'm feeling stupid and frustrated
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Re: amule... what the heck!?

Post by kherr4377 »

why amule ..... why not adonkey .... ???? :-0 :-0
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
airone12
Starting out

Post by airone12 »

because i use amule and in the app center i can find amule but i can't find adonkey
airone12
Starting out

Post by airone12 »

another question:
5 how can i run amule not as admin but with a less privileged user?

thanks
airone12
Starting out

Post by airone12 »

nobody? come on :roll:
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

airone12 wrote:nobody? come on :roll:
You may want to install mldonkey as an alternative.
It runs in QTS 4.3.X as well.
airone12
Starting out

Post by airone12 »

I see, but I don't want to install mldonkey, I want to understand how amule (that is availble in the app center) works
raffe
Know my way around

Post by raffe »

airone12 wrote:I see, but I don't want to install mldonkey, I want to understand how amule (that is availble in the app center) works
aMule for 64bit QTOS 4.3.x is broken. Like you say, runs as admin etc. I also can not sent emails at events.

I you still want to try, you should find the config file amule.conf at /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/aMule/.aMule/ or /root/.aMule/

You can start/stop aMule from app center, click on the V

One way to use it from your PC is to install remote version with the installer from https://sourceforge.net/projects/amule/ ... ule/2.3.1/ and make some changes in the registry and make a BAT file http://wiki.amule.org/wiki/Ed2k_links_h ... #Windows_2

I have now used aMule for two years (used Mldonkey before, but wanted to try something new), but now I am fed up and will go back to Mldonkey.

You can find Mldonkey at https://qnapclub.eu/index.php?act=detail&qpkg_id=367 (and even more at https://qnapclub.eu/ ), info at http://mldonkey.sourceforge.net/Main_Page and a remote control client at http://sancho.awardspace.com/ (start it one time as admin and in settings tell to associate e2dk and magnets links with sancho)
One thing that is better with Mldonkey (besides that i works ;) ) is that it can handle both e2dk and torrents.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[ If you are too open-minded, your brain may fall out ]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
airone12
Starting out

Post by airone12 »

actually i solved the moron way: i copied binaries somewhere out of the reach of gnap scripts that clear the slate at every boot, and created the start/stop script and configuration. piece of cake and it works smooth as silk.
i don't like mldonkey, i still prefer to use amuled and transmission.
thanks for your help
peloo
Starting out

Post by peloo »

Can you explane how you did this please?
I would like to do this in my ts-453A
Thanks
TS-453A - 16GB RAM - 4 X WD RED WD40EFRX RAID5
airone12
Starting out

Post by airone12 »

peloo wrote:Can you explane how you did this please?
i can try :mrgreen:

as soon as i am back home i'll try to give you some hints
peloo
Starting out

Post by peloo »

Thank you very much !
Ciao!
astromo
First post

Post by astromo »

A very frustrating app (for QTS 4.3.3) with inadequate explanation of how to access it.

From searching around, I got the hint that the MD5 hash of the admin password could be the key.

I hashed my admin password to MD5 and used that value for the 2 password requests at the different GUIs that showed up and finally gained access to amule ... what the heck indeed!
peloo
Starting out

Post by peloo »

This is strange..hashed password are only in amule.config,on the gui it should be plain text..
airone12
Starting out

Post by airone12 »

hi there,
sorry it took me so much but... i simply forgot about this thread.

here is a brief explanation about how i run amuled to avoid all the problems with the qnap app:

1 install amule in qnap app center
2 find where the app center installed amule binary and libraries (e.g /share/MD1_DATA/.qpkg/aMule/aMule/bin and /share/MD1_DATA/.qpkg/aMule/aMule/lib) and copy all of them in a directory of your choice, outside the paths that are restored at boot by qnap software
3 create a dir .aMule where you will save all your amule configuration
4 try to run amule with command (possibly with a user different from root/admin)

Code: Select all

/your/binary/dir/amuled -c /your/amule/conf/path/.aMule -e
5 it should create all the needed conf files and ask you for the password for external connections. stop it with ctrl+c and edit the amule.conf file it created in the conf dir to change all the options you need (e.g. external connection port)
6 run amule with

Code: Select all

/your/binary/dir/amuled -c /your/amule/conf/path/.aMule -f
that will fork the daemon to background
7 use amulegui to connect to the daemon, specifying your nas ip, the port you configured in step 5 (default is 4712) and the password you set in step 5 too.

enjoy!

i also managed to create scipts to add links from my pc to amuled, let me know if you need them or there is somthing missing here.

Return to “Miscellaneous”