m2.ssd Installation of Heatsink

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Kaisch
Starting out

m2.ssd Installation of Heatsink

Post by Kaisch »

Hello,

Qnap recommends to install a heatsink onto the m2.ssds because the controllers are getting hot.

But on my Samsung EVO m2.ssd is an label: "warranty void if label removed".

If i remove the label and install the heatsink the warrenty of my ssd is gone.
And if i don't install the heatsink the ssd maybe get to hot..

So how should i proceed and what is qnaps recommandation ?

Thanks
Kai
Kai.

Model: TVS-673e 16GB FW: 4.3.6 0895 Build: 20190328
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OneCD
Guru

Re: m2.ssd Installation of Heatsink

Post by OneCD »

Why do you have to remove a label to install a heatsink?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kaisch
Starting out

Post by Kaisch »

Hi,

because is covering the controller chip , nearly the complete ssd.

See attached pic.

Cheers
Kai
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Even installed on top of the label, a heatsink will still give a useful cooling effect.
And presumably you can check the before and after temperatures to assess how effective it is.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Which model QNAP are you currently using?

Make sure you have good airflow behind and around you QNAP. You can also potentially reduce the m.2 temps by changing your system fan speed to manual and adjusting that to help keep them running cooler.

Crucial is the same way on their warranty, but with the price tag of the m.2's relatively low I decided take the risk myself and removed the stickers and installed the heatsinks. That is a risk/reward calculation every person needs to make for themselves though.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Kaisch
Starting out

Post by Kaisch »

Hi Trexx,

since Monday i'm using the TVS-473.

For now i think i don't really have a problem with high temps. But i'm pretty careful...
ssdtemp.PNG

@all Thanks for all your replies.

Kai
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai.

Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Kaisch wrote:Hi Trexx,

since Monday i'm using the TVS-473.

For now i think i don't really have a problem with high temps. But i'm pretty careful...
ssdtemp.PNG
Kai
Nope you are fine. For my Crucial SSD's, it started to alarm at about 65C and I believe Crucial would start thermal throttling at 70C. So 47C is no biggie.
Paul

Neilo
Getting the hang of things

Post by Neilo »

Hi Paul,

Where did you install the Heat-sink on the Crucial m300 m.2? i believe it should be on the controller chip and i think its the third chip from the left (on the 275Gb model) when installed in the nas? correct me if I'm wrong. Have them installed in TvS-473
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Neilo wrote:Hi Paul,

Where did you install the Heat-sink on the Crucial m300 m.2? i believe it should be on the controller chip and i think its the third chip from the left (on the 275Gb model) when installed in the nas? correct me if I'm wrong. Have them installed in TvS-473
I used a heat gun to soften up the glue on the m.2's and pealed the label off. I then used rubbing alcohol to clean off any glue residue and then mounted the heatsinks on the controller and memory chips.

Of course this voids the m.2's warranty, but due to the location of my NAS and limited air flow around it, I needed the extra cooling.
Paul

Neilo
Getting the hang of things

Post by Neilo »

Did you use more than one heat-sink per module? The Qnap package only came with 2 heatsinks. I found a youtube video showing the controller chip is the one that mainly gets the hottest. so I've placed it on the controller for now. I'll key an eye on it. Thanks
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Neilo wrote:Did you use more than one heat-sink per module? The Qnap package only came with 2 heatsinks. I found a youtube video showing the controller chip is the one that mainly gets the hottest. so I've placed it on the controller for now. I'll key an eye on it. Thanks
The controller was the biggie that was prone to getting HOT. You can also get heatsinks (just watch the height) on Amazon too.
Paul

DarfNader
Know my way around

Post by DarfNader »

Neilo wrote:Hi Paul,

Hi, I have the Samsung NVMe 960 EVO M.2 SSD and I am actually looking anywhere where it might state that removing the sticker voids the warranty but I am not finding anything. I would expect this to be the case as you have all said, but it doesn't seem to state it explicitly, either in the written instructions, on the box, or the web page that hosts the specs: http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/mem ... -v6e1t0bw/.

As for where to apply one of the heat sinks provided by QNAP, I am trying to find the controller and "third chip from the left" is hard to figure without a point of reference. Is that with the screw notch on the left or right if you are facing it? Besides, having a different model means it's a probably a different layout anyway. I did find one of the 4 ICs to have "ARM" printed on it which would indicate that it's a CPU and probably where it should go. On the 960 EVO it's the closest IC to the pins so I am hoping that this is it. If it isn't, someone please set me straight!

Thanks,
Matthew
"Everything I know I've learned from eating the brains of other people." - anon.

TVS-473
• FW v 4.6.3.0883 build 20190316
• 32 GB RAM
• 4 x 6TB SATA , RAID 5
• 2 x 1 TB m2.SSD, RAID 1 (QTier)

Return to “Miscellaneous”