Daylight Savings time problem 2017

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
blturner
New here

Daylight Savings time problem 2017

Post by blturner »

My users could not login to our file sharing qnap this morning. There were no errors that I could find so I restarted it. while waiting for it to reboot I noticed that the time on the qnap had not leaped forward.
My users login with domain credentials and the qnap is joined to the domain as a member. I did not test login failure with any non-domain accounts before the restart.
After the restart the time was correct and users could login.

I think this is because Kerberos can't handle out of sync clocks.

Searching these forums shows this is a recurring issue that does not effect everyone. There is a release note that says it was fixed in 4.2

I also have several qnap devices that I use as backup targets. So I decided to go check the time on them. Here is a table of my results

Device firmware clock changed
TS-251 4.2.2(20161208) N (Domain Member) Clock fixed when restarted.
TS-251 4.2.3(21070121) Y
TS-212 4.2.2(20160901) N The web interface shows that the offset is +60 so it thinks that it set it's clock forward.
The rest of my devices have restarted since Saturday morning or are currently offsite.
All of them are set to update their clocks every 7 days to Pool for the non-domain server and the domain controller for the domain joined one.
So was the issue fixed in one of the half dozen or so firmware updates between December and now? Or is this just too intermittent for Qnap the company to get a grip on?
Will I have this problem next year? I think I will set the time update to daily so that it will update before users come in Monday morning.
syplex
New here

Re: Daylight Savings time problem 2017

Post by syplex »

We are seeing the same problem here https://community.getchannels.com/t/qna ... dst-change

Seems like a long standing problem that QNAP just hasn't taken the time to fix. Seems simple to test, setup an ntp server, set clock to daylight savings time and watch what happens.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

blturner wrote:I think I will set the time update to daily so that it will update before users come in Monday morning.
The traffic is negligible and it can only improve timekeeping so why not make full use of the service and update every hour?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
blturner
New here

Post by blturner »

Sorry for the late reply.
Syplex, Yes, this should be fixed.
P3R, I don't want it every hour because there have been NTP based denial of service attacks in the past. I found my vulnerable/complicit systems by looking at my firewall logs. So I want to keep the NTP noise in those logs low. I also feel that it makes the NAS easier to attack with false time updates, but I am probably just being paranoid on that one.
blturner
New here

Post by blturner »

Well, Same problem this morning. Daylight savings time ended this weekend. No domain users could log into the QNAP. I was not onsite so I had them power cycle the server and then everyone could login.
This time only my domain joined server had the problem. The others seemed to be fine.
...Wait a sec. I just checked the NTP update settings and see it's at once a week. Now I don't know if I changed the setting to daily or not. Or if an update changed the setting back. Logs don't go back far enough to tell. Also seems logs don't really show settings changes like this.
lavitsky
First post

Post by lavitsky »

I just had the same problem even though all my settings appear correct. I was considering recently recommending a QNAP NAS for a local school, but with basic problems like this not being addressed by QNAP, I won't be recommending it.

The time change didn't happen even after a reboot and a firmware update/reboot. I had to adjust it manually from the control panel.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
lavitsky wrote:I was considering recently recommending a QNAP NAS for a local school, but with basic problems like this not being addressed by QNAP, I won't be recommending it.
I hear you, but this is a community forum only. Suggest you create a support ticket with QNAP and let them know.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Miscellaneous”