RAID Level

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
KRS1974
Starting out

RAID Level

Post by KRS1974 »

Just a question my TS-453A has 4 x 1tb drives in it.

Which would yo recommend for Home Media server and Storage photos etc ??

Raid 5 with hot Swap
Raid 6 with hot Swap

I will be Trunking all the LAN ports for better speeds so want to select the best RAID with tollorance.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: RAID Level

Post by dolbyman »

with hot swap?..you mean hot spare

I'd say raid5 with 4 drives (no spare) and regular external backups
KRS1974
Starting out

Post by KRS1974 »

Why no hot spare ???

This a performance thing or disk space thing ??
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why would you want a hot spare ?

you have one drive redundancy on raid5 ..plus your backups

also raid6 plus hotswap wouldnt even work on your 4 bay nas
KRS1974
Starting out

Post by KRS1974 »

Hi

Thanks for your input raid6 was a typo should have just been raid 6 without hot swap.

the general thinking seems to be raid5 without hot swap as while the hot swap is fixing the dying array another disk could fail an no backup performed.

What's your thoughts on using raid 6 instead of raid 5 ?? is there a vast hit on read / write speeds ??
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the RAID6 with double parity should not horribly impact the performance, you will defiantly hit the gigabit barrier and trunking only helps if transferring with more than one client at a time

So no matter if RAID5 or 6, don't forget your backups
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

With 1tb drives I would go with a 4 drive raid 5 with a cold spare. If you were using 8tb drives I would go with raid 6.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why waste the space with a coldspare ?

get a 4TB external backup drive for worst case scenarios

not saying cold- or hotspares are not usefull on larger/more disk systems .. just not for that case
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

What space is wasted? 4 x 1tb RAID 5 with a 1 tb drive sitting in a draw.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

oh I thought you meant coldspare inserted (so rebuilding on demand not automatically)

We always defined coldspare as a non automatic rebuilding hot spare (lol) .. the controller would also keep it powered off (hence coldspare) :D

So I thought that you meant for the OP then:
3x1TB RAID5 + Cold Spare = 2TB usable

RADI5 with an extra drive in the drawer is always a good idea :P (@OP still no substitute for backups)
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

dolbyman wrote: (@OP still no substitute for backups)
Agreed!

KRS1974
Starting out

Post by KRS1974 »

Thanks for all your input I have built it with RAID 5 static without hot spare and a 1TB in the draw just in case.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dolbyman wrote:We always defined coldspare as a non automatic rebuilding hot spare...
We?

Anyway I find that a very odd definition of a "cold spare" as the only way to keep a disk cool is to not have it in the chassis.

Unless the NAS is powered off the disk will be spinning along with the other disks and never be cool, it just isn't used. The disk will be stacking up Power_On_Hours and using power that could be better used anywhere.

I guess you could call it a warm spare but I can't think of a reason for using a disk that way... :S
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

P3R wrote:We?
My old company I used to work in
P3R wrote:Anyway I find that a very odd definition of a "cold spare" as the only way to keep a disk cool is to not have it in the chassis.
If taking the chassis apart is a large pain in the "behind"(tightly placed IBM isieres tower servers where you can't easily open the sides without moving them), you (or we) rather put some extra drives in when you have it appart for maintenance, but to not have the drives age, you tell the controller to not keep them "ready", so to activate them you just need to access the RAID controller and mark them active (and then assign them). [/quote]
P3R wrote: Unless the NAS is powered off the disk will be spinning along with the other disks and never be cool, it just isn't used. The disk will be stacking up Power_On_Hours and using power that could be better used anywhere.

Yes on QNAP that is true .. if it is plugged in all drives run all the time
P3R wrote:I guess you could call it a warm spare but I can't think of a reason for using a disk that way... :S
yeah .. see above

Return to “Miscellaneous”