port trunking setup

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
gcap
New here

port trunking setup

Post by gcap »

Hi, I have had port trunking working on both of my ports without issues on my nas since I bought it. I have recently purchased a smart switch to create vlans and it also offers me a config option to combine ports.
Is it recommended and common practice that I also use this function to combine my NAS ports to speed up I/O

Thanks,

G
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Re: port trunking setup

Post by kherr4377 »

if it ain't broke .... don't fix it

you do realize that with port trunking, the max is 1G per client ....... and limited to the capabilities of you nas

you can always try though ... you have not mentioned anything about your network .... concurrent users etc ....
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
gcap
New here

Post by gcap »

HI, thanks for your reply, I'll elaborate a little.
ts-469L 2 concurrent PLEX video streams ( files on NAS) plus possible concurrent hi-res audio streaming from a Meridian Sooloos core/store running on the NAS. Normally if I have 2 concurrent video streams the iPad's lower res A/V streaming isn't going on. Ram hovers around 70-80% and CPU rarely reaches 30%

My main router ( airport extreme ) feeds a Dlink gigabit switch that has the NAS and an Oppo BDP that I use as a streamer in a room for a projector
My main router also feeds another airport extreme used as a network extender and a samsung Smart tv connected via ethernet.

My Bluray backups ( .mkv w/7.1 flac ) stream fine to the projector but pause to rebuffer often to the TV.

Although this isn't a huge problem as it's mostly children movies that don't have the issue, the grown full res rips do and it's annoying thus my wish to supply a cleaner stream to the tv so I can use the projector simultaneously without worry of stealing bandwidth from the other room and causing it to rebuffer more frequently

Fine tuning the trunking just seems like a first step in helping the network flow better.

Thanks
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

when i had port trunking on my 469L, i wasn't able to get much more than 125~130MBs total BW
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

gcap wrote:HI, thanks for your reply, I'll elaborate a little.
ts-469L 2 concurrent PLEX video streams ( files on NAS) plus possible concurrent hi-res audio streaming from a Meridian Sooloos core/store running on the NAS. Normally if I have 2 concurrent video streams the iPad's lower res A/V streaming isn't going on. Ram hovers around 70-80% and CPU rarely reaches 30%

My main router ( airport extreme ) feeds a Dlink gigabit switch that has the NAS and an Oppo BDP that I use as a streamer in a room for a projector
My main router also feeds another airport extreme used as a network extender and a samsung Smart tv connected via ethernet.

My Bluray backups ( .mkv w/7.1 flac ) stream fine to the projector but pause to rebuffer often to the TV.

Although this isn't a huge problem as it's mostly children movies that don't have the issue, the grown full res rips do and it's annoying thus my wish to supply a cleaner stream to the tv so I can use the projector simultaneously without worry of stealing bandwidth from the other room and causing it to rebuffer more frequently

Fine tuning the trunking just seems like a first step in helping the network flow better.

Thanks

Assuming your TVs are cabled to Gigabit switch(s) also?

Network diagram would be useful.
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

gcap wrote:Hi, I have had port trunking working on both of my ports without issues on my nas since I bought it.
There are 7 different flavors of port trunking in a Qnap so which one have you've been you using?
Is it recommended and common practice that I also use this function to combine my NAS ports to speed up I/O
If port trunking is actually needed it's recommended to use the best one your network equipment can handle.

As ensignvorik already mentioned, a network diagram is necessary to understand and give advice.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@ensignvorik, you're most likely not blind. Qnap for some unknown reason removed the possibility for a user to change the NAS model in the forum profile.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
gcap
New here

Post by gcap »

P3R wrote:
gcap wrote:Hi, I have had port trunking working on both of my ports without issues on my nas since I bought it.
There are 7 different flavors of port trunking in a Qnap so which one have you've been you using?
If port trunking is actually needed it's recommended to use the best one your network equipment can handle.

As ensignvorik already mentioned, a network diagram is necessary to understand and give advice.
I'll try to get to the network diagram but to clarify the mention of "best one your network equipment can handle" am I to take from this that the better of the 2 port trunking implementations ( switch or NAS ) but not both? That is where I'm confused.
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

gcap wrote:
P3R wrote:

I'll try to get to the network diagram but to clarify the mention of "best one your network equipment can handle" am I to take from this that the better of the 2 port trunking implementations ( switch or NAS ) but not both? That is where I'm confused.
Both ends need to be setup and they need to use the same implementation.
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

gcap wrote:...to clarify the mention of "best one your network equipment can handle" am I to take from this that the better of the 2 port trunking implementations ( switch or NAS ) but not both?
Out of the 7 different port trunking configurations possible in a Qnap:
  • 3 works with any switch using no port trunking.
  • 3 works with static port trunking configured on the switch.
  • 1 works with dynamic port trunking configured on the switch.
This is all explained in the Qnap documentation.

You must match the port trunking configuration in the NAS to the one in the switch according to the list above or you will have unpredictable behaviour. It may work well for a long time but then suddenly stop working giving intermittent and hard to diagnose symptoms.

Return to “Miscellaneous”